Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Fido] Fido - Retention Plans

Feb 25, 2005
567 posts
20 upvotes
Just an FYI that I went to Walmart today in Stouville and found out that we can get Samsung S9 for $0 and $150 gift card form Walmart if you sign up for a $60/month plan (2 GB) plan with Fido or Koodo (new customers). They said if we are existing Fido customers, they can help us get the $55/month with 5GB Loyalty plan. This is the same plan $55/month with 5GB plan that I got offered before on Black Friday but now I am getting the S9 Plus+ instead over the phone with Fido for $125+HST, no gift card over the phone.

I could have gotten the S9 at $0 with Fido over the phone too but I wanted to get an S9+ for bigger screen, better camera (dual lense) and bigger/longer battery. My dad has the S9+ and I really liked his phone. If they didn't give me a decent offer for S9+, I would have settle for S9 at $0. But I think best thing is to go to Walmart or Best Buy as you can get S9 at $0 when you sign up for $55-60/month (Medium tab) plan and $150 gift card (amazing deal). Walmart said they are sold out of S9 but they will get more in next week. They said Samsung is trying to sell off more S9 before S10 comes that's why they have these amazing deals/promos :)

Happy Boxing Week everyone & Happy Holidays! :)
May 2, 2016
25 posts
11 upvotes
Just called in and told them I am going to walmart and port to koodo. This was what they offered:
$52.50/ month for 4 GB ($70 plan with 25% discount for 2 years)
Have a choice of iPhone 8 or s9 for free
They are also putting an additional $75 credit to my account

I am on the fence, still slightly leaning towards koodo but I value their roaming, as I sometimes to go the states for the weekend
I am in Ontario
Feb 2, 2009
216 posts
43 upvotes
I switched from Fido to Telus last year, just got called and offered:
$199 iPhone X 64GB
$300 credit
$72/month 5GB
Good deal?
Feb 25, 2005
567 posts
20 upvotes
TheRollingJ wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 2:27 pm
Just called in and told them I am going to walmart and port to koodo. This was what they offered:

I am on the fence, still slightly leaning towards koodo but I value their roaming, as I sometimes to go the states for the weekend
I am in Ontario
Read the Koodo thread carefully again. You are not getting the S9 for free which is what I had thought. You get need to pay $15/month for the phone which they call a tab and then the data/cell plan for $50-55/month for medium tab. So S9 costs you $15/month. Read recent comments on the Koodo thread. So Fido, Rogers and Bell give better deal as you just get the phone for $0 and pay for the plan for $50-55/month (medium tab) ONLY.

I think you got a good deal above since you got $75 credit unless you have free time to keep calling for more credits. My husband signed up during Black Friday and didn't get any credits extra. Just S9 for $0 and still had to pay for activation fee ($35).
May 2, 2016
25 posts
11 upvotes
h2lam wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 5:48 pm
Read the Koodo thread carefully again. You are not getting the S9 for free which is what I had thought. You get need to pay $15/month for the phone which they call a tab and then the data/cell plan for $50-55/month for medium tab. So S9 costs you $15/month. Read recent comments on the Koodo thread. So Fido, Rogers and Bell give better deal as you just get the phone for $0 and pay for the plan for $50-55/month (medium tab) ONLY.

I think you got a good deal above since you got $75 credit unless you have free time to keep calling for more credits. My husband signed up during Black Friday and didn't get any credits extra. Just S9 for $0 and still had to pay for activation fee ($35).
Thanks h2lam. I definitely must have misread.

Before knowing this, I actually called Fido 1 more time because I thought I would port to Koodo, good thing I didn't. I asked if they have any promo on S9+ instead of S9, and here is what they offered.
Summarizing the two plans that they have offered me today:

1) $52.50/ month 4gb data (25% off of the $70 plan for 2 years)
iphone 8 or samsung s9 for free (waived the $149 downpayment)
$75 statement credit
no mention of activation fee or taxes

2) 63.75/month, 5gb (25% off of the $85 plan for 2 years)
iphone 8 plus or samsung s9+ for free (waived the $349 downpayment)
Activation fee ($35) and taxes waived (not sure how significant that is)
Feb 25, 2005
567 posts
20 upvotes
TheRollingJ wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 2:27 pm

I am in Ontario
I called a few day ago and got offered this plan for $52.50 for 4 GB too from CSR at Retention too but I asked for S9+ so she said she can give it to me for $124 + HST. I still have to pay for activation fee and she won't waive it. I had another agent on Black Friday who was wiling to waive activation fee when I called so getting the activation fee waived is a hit or miss. You need to call a few times for this. But I think the best deal is $55/month Loyalty Plan for 5GB. She said I can get this plan instead so you can ask them for this plan since you get 1GB more for just $2.50 extra plus the actual plan is cheaper :)
Feb 25, 2005
567 posts
20 upvotes
TheRollingJ wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 8:32 pm
Thanks h2lam. I definitely must have misread.

Before knowing this, I actually called Fido 1 more time because I thought I would port to Koodo, good thing I didn't. I asked if they have any promo on S9+ instead of S9, and here is what they offered.
Summarizing the two plans that they have offered me today:

1) $52.50/ month 4gb data (25% off of the $70 plan for 2 years)
iphone 8 or samsung s9 for free (waived the $149 downpayment)
$75 statement credit
no mention of activation fee or taxes

2) 63.75/month, 5gb (25% off of the $85 plan for 2 years)
iphone 8 plus or samsung s9+ for free (waived the $349 downpayment)
Activation fee ($35) and taxes waived (not sure how significant that is)
Ask them for the $55/month with 5GB Loyalty Plan. Tell them that you got offered this before on Black Friday. Even Walmart said they can get this plan for me too ($55 with 5GB Loyalty Plan), S9 for $0 and $150 gift card. Tell them this and use it to bargain when you call back again tomorrow or next day.

Wow Mobile, Walmart & Best Buy is getting more S9 so you can get them to help you get this $55 with 5GB plan since you will get $150 gift card. Honestly, if I wanted S9 instead, I would just go to Walmart & Best Buy and ask them to help me to get S9 for $0 with Fido. I told them I want S9 PLUS instead but they said they can't help me with S9 PLUS as they don't give $150 gift card with this model and they can not bring the price down for the actual phone. But CSR at Retention was able to bring down the price of S9 PLUS for $124 + $35 activation Fee + HST for me so in my case since I want S9 PLUS, I need to deal with CSR at Fido Retentions. But anyone who wants S9, better deal to go to Wow Mobile, Best Buy or Walmart and tell them you want the S9 for $0 and $150 gift card especially if you are existing Fido customers they can help you get $55 Loyalty 5GB plan instead of those other plans for new customers ($60/month for 2 GB only for new customers).
Feb 25, 2005
567 posts
20 upvotes
Just an FYI that Walmart says they are getting more cell phone stocks for the phone that are sold out like S9 for $0. So just go to Wow Mobile, Walmart or BestBuy and place an order if you plan to upgrade. I am getting S9+ for $125 +HST over the phone with Fido Retention CSR as Walmart/BestBuy/Wow Mobile do not have S9+ with $150 gift card.
Feb 25, 2005
567 posts
20 upvotes
My mom's friend just got S9 for $0 for her sons today as new Fido customer at Walmart in Vaughan. They got 4GB data & unlimited calling for just $58.50 + HST after 10% of the $65/month plan. They got $150 Walmart gift card free too. They hear about the deal from me & got it at Walmart in Vaughan today :)...If you are existing Fido customer you can get the $55/month Loyalty plan with 5GB and unlimited calling :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7328 posts
3459 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Question to anyone who has Fido Wireless Home Phone.... has anyone ever been able to get a retention deal? I see Koodo also now offers WHP for $5 a month, which is cheaper than Fido.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
May 5, 2015
101 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jt9000 wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 5:17 pm
I switched from Fido to Telus last year, just got called and offered:
$199 iPhone X 64GB
$300 credit
$72/month 5GB
Good deal?

so u left fido last year and
they called you this year?
Oct 21, 2015
27 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Longtime Fido user (16 yrs) just left for Freedom yesterday.

Got tired of playing their games and the back and forth just to get a decent phone plan.
May 2, 2016
25 posts
11 upvotes
lovecellphones wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 12:42 pm
did someone get medium plan $55 5gb with 25% off?
Their retention department was able to offer 25% off last week. I called a couple of times today and they could only offer me some embarrassingly expensive offer.