Expired Hot Deals

Fido - S10 for $20/mo. financing on 2 year contact after bill credit

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2020 4:07 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 18, 2019
41 posts
14 upvotes

Fido - S10 for $20/mo. financing on 2 year contact after bill credit

Savings:
33% off
Regular price is $58.33/mo. (In reality it was $30/mo. recently) so taxes are 58.33*0.13/mo. in Ontario so you pay $662 after tax, not $542. If you break your contract though, you're in a world of hurt as Full Price is $1,400.00. For reference the s20 is currently $1220 at samsung.com.

Good chance I will get this for my dad and take his Pixel 4 XL. My current contract is until black friday and has $127 left on the balance. My mom works at rogers so we get 50% off monthly device balance payments so may not be able to get the balance waived. Previously I was thinking about getting the LG Velvet or G8X if I break the contract early as I'm using the S5 right now and it's showing its age.
15 replies
Jr. Member
Jul 12, 2008
105 posts
221 upvotes
Calgary
I'm neutral with this post. The idea of having to finance a phone through the carrier is absurd to me. As soon as you sign a 2 year agreement and get 'free' financing through them, you're essential signing away your buying power. Things like moving to the next company for a better deal. Like mentioned in your post, the price to break the agreement is going to hurt for a phone that is already dated.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1468 posts
2042 upvotes
Waterloo Region
Wish I could negotiate a one year contract.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5939 posts
4382 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
sophal wrote: I'm neutral with this post. The idea of having to finance a phone through the carrier is absurd to me. As soon as you sign a 2 year agreement and get 'free' financing through them, you're essential signing away your buying power. Things like moving to the next company for a better deal. Like mentioned in your post, the price to break the agreement is going to hurt for a phone that is already dated.
Issues is people don't want to front up $1000+ for a flagship phone or downgrade to a mid tier phone. It's how all these carriers get away with high pricing. If people were a little better at spending their money, we won't be in this issue.

I always buy my iPhones outright during launch and sell near the end. Rinse and repeat, cheaper than going on contract.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2014
1057 posts
1296 upvotes
Man I'm going to miss the old Fido subsidy program when my current contract with them expires.

Entered into current contract in Nov. 2019 and paid just ~$60 one-time cost (after bill credit) for a Galaxy S10 on a $40 5GB plan.

And that was 8 months ago when the S10 was current-gen!
Sr. Member
May 16, 2015
926 posts
310 upvotes
York, ON
So you pay taxes on the full subsidy amount wtf. Why is the s10 with fido more expensive than s20 outright. Fido needs to get their "deals" together. Either lower the phone value or provide better plans.
Member
User avatar
Jun 15, 2020
348 posts
421 upvotes
Ontario
sophal wrote: I'm neutral with this post. The idea of having to finance a phone through the carrier is absurd to me. As soon as you sign a 2 year agreement and get 'free' financing through them, you're essential signing away your buying power. Things like moving to the next company for a better deal. Like mentioned in your post, the price to break the agreement is going to hurt for a phone that is already dated.
This!^^ you're giving away your ability to choose. Want more data? Fido can charge you whatever you want for additional data. Feel like you want less data since you're, say, staying at home all day and don't need to be spending $60 per month for 10GB of data that you don't use? Good lucky trying to downgrade your plan. I have trouble downgrading even as a BYOD customer with Fido.

I only recommend contracts if you have a very good plan with Fido already (probably after negotiating as a BYOD customer) and are sure that you won't be needing more or less data over time.
Member
Mar 2, 2015
459 posts
1094 upvotes
Montreal, QC
In Quebec you get another $100 off. Also, they have a trade in program promo right now where you get a bonus of $100.
Newbie
Aug 15, 2016
85 posts
115 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: Issues is people don't want to front up $1000+ for a flagship phone or downgrade to a mid tier phone. It's how all these carriers get away with high pricing. If people were a little better at spending their money, we won't be in this issue.

I always buy my iPhones outright during launch and sell near the end. Rinse and repeat, cheaper than going on contract.
But this works for iPhones only, because of their amazing resale value. I got myself stuck with Samsung (I like their software, their ecosystem - galaxy buds+, galaxy watch active 2), and so while I can switch to other Android phones, none of them offer as good resale value as iPhones.

I used to buy used (like ~6 months old) devices, usually at pristine condition. But with Covid, that's not likely these days...
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1468 posts
2042 upvotes
Waterloo Region
matus201 wrote: But this works for iPhones only, because of their amazing resale value. I got myself stuck with Samsung (I like their software, their ecosystem - galaxy buds+, galaxy watch active 2), and so while I can switch to other Android phones, none of them offer as good resale value as iPhones.

I used to buy used (like ~6 months old) devices, usually at pristine condition. But with Covid, that's not likely these days...
Are you eating the phone? lol. Covid doesn't stop you buying from others. You can always wipe the product down before touching it.
I still think buying off people is the best way to get great value. Plus you save on tax.
Newbie
Jul 7, 2018
49 posts
88 upvotes
Vancouver
I ended up getting this deal; I've had my current device for 4.5 years now, and I've had my eye on the S10e for the longest time since I love the size. It worked out for me since I switched from their 5gb for $45, to their 8gb for $50. While it does stink that I'm locked in for 2 years..meh..I don't plan on moving out of the country anytime soon nor have crazy usage of data..I'm comfortable with the commitment.

I'm quite happy with this deal
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 3, 2007
2203 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
These deals work if you don't need a monster plan and usually keep your phone for 2+years such is the case for me and my wife.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 23, 2008
3861 posts
2268 upvotes
Halifax
I do believe the government is going to mandate a 25% cut on in market plans soon. Bad time to get onto a new plan. Willing to bet current plans will not be included.
Newbie
Sep 17, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
True. But it's only for two years. It's unlikely that the 25 percent reduction would take effect within the next year. Especially since the government will have other fish to fry due to covid. I just got this deal. $35 2+2gb plan plus $20 a month for the phone? Sure.
Jr. Member
Jan 8, 2006
139 posts
51 upvotes
Edmonton
I grabbed the deal. The customer rep allowed me to keep my BYOP plan of $40+5GB, and then $19.99 additional for 24months to pay out the phone. Phone comes out to be $479.88 + taxes after the 24 months.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 11, 2006
2015 posts
433 upvotes
North York
I have been using S10 since Dec 2019. Love the phone. I got the $60/mth for 8 gb for 2 yrs contract back then and I think it came with a discount as well!

Edit: the discount was $200 on a 24 month commitment.

link to old post

Top