• Jun 20th, 2018 1:26 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 17, 2008
713 posts
94 upvotes

Fido Unlocking (second owner)

Hi all,

I want to switch carriers (to Public Mobile) but my current phone is locked to Fido (I use it on Rogers network). I know recently the CRTC changed the ruling so that all phones sold now have to be unlocked. And if it isn't, you can call in to the phone's original service provider (ex: Fido) and have it unlocked for you. I've done this for my father (on Koodo).

The issue is my current phone is a Samsung S6, but I bought it brand new from someone. I no longer have contact with this person. I'm wondering if I call in to Fido will they unlock it even though I'm not the original owner? I'm asking because when I called into Koodo for my father - I had to provide all types of information (account # etc.), which I do not have for this phone since I was not the original owner.

Or is my best bet just to buy an unlock code on ebay etc.

Thanks!
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5108 posts
840 upvotes
Toronto
Did you use Fido online chat?

My sister had a G4 and gave it to me to put on Kijiji for sale. It was locked. I went Fido site and online chatted with Fido support. I just had to provide the G4's IMEI and he gave me the unlock code in 30 seconds without needing me to provide anything else.

I even had him to stay online with me while I was unlocking the G4 to ensure code he gave was good. It was done within 5 mins including wait time.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

[OP]
Aug 17, 2008
713 posts
94 upvotes
h2o- wrote: Did you use Fido online chat?

My sister had a G4 and gave it to me to put on Kijiji for sale. It was locked. I went Fido site and online chatted with Fido support. I just had to provide the G4's IMEI and he gave me the unlock code in 30 seconds without needing me to provide anything else.

I even had him to stay online with me while I was unlocking the G4 to ensure code he gave was good. It was done within 5 mins including wait time.
I haven't tried that yet. How long ago was this? I'll try and see what they say and I'll let you know. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5108 posts
840 upvotes
Toronto
hunt3rshadow wrote: I haven't tried that yet. How long ago was this? I'll try and see what they say and I'll let you know. Thanks!
It was early June (say 2 weeks ago).
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)