• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2014 4:48 pm
[OP]
May 19, 2009
669 posts
900 upvotes
Vancouver

Fido vs Virgin Mobile black friday deal

Thinking of getting a new smartphone for my birthday next week as my current phone is going wonky ;)

I'm just wondering if anyone could give me advice on which of the following is the better / more reliable deal? Which retailer has more reliable services / coverage? I'm usually in Richmond / Vancouver / Downtown / New Westminster / Delta area in Metro Vancouver BC. I used Wind Mobile back in 2010-2012 and felt its coverage was limited in certain areas of Delta, New Westminster, and Downtown Vancouver so I switched to Fido in 2013 when they had the $39 Smart Plan (450 min + 600MB) back then. I brought my own Android phone to Fido but it's still a two-year contract... and it's ending in May 2015. No issues with Fido's coverage so far.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of getting either the Samsung Galaxy S4 or the Google Nexus 5. Both Fido and Virgin Mobile offer them during the Black Friday sale.

Fido offers both phone for $0 on a two-year Smart Plan:
https://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fid ... es/android

I'm considering the $45 monthly, 250 minutes + 250MB data plan.

Virgin Mobile offers both phone for $0 on a two-year Gold Plan, and also a $100 prepaid Visa card for the Nexus 5:
http://www.virginmobile.ca/en/hot-offer ... cid=BD:249

I'm considering the $45 monthly, 300 minutes + 300MB data plan.

Now the "problem" is, since I'm still currently a Fido customer, I'm not sure if they'd give me that Black Friday deal, as it says for existing customers they can only get the free phone on those $80 Max Plans + $25 hardware upgrade fee... but I brought my own phone to Fido, so I'm not sure if that $25 fee applies. And I don't plan on paying $80 monthly for phone, as I don't need that much data (never used up my 600MB allowance).

As for Virgin Mobile, I have heard goods and bads about it. Personally I have never used it so I would like to hear more opinions about this company before making a two-year commitment. I also need to make sure the coverage is good as I can't afford to miss work phone calls. It seems they would charge $35 for porting phone number over from another carrier. But the $100 Visa Prepaid card for the Nexus 5 would make up for that fee.

...Or should I wait for Boxing Day?

I have checked Telus and Bell as well, but their cheapest plan is $70/month so it's immediately out of question for me. I don't really like the Koodo or T-Mobile tab system as it's unlikely that I'd "pay off" the phone in the span of two years on a $45/monthly plan. As for Wind... as mentioned, it's coverage is not sufficient for my current work needs. It was a nice budget option when I was still a student, though. I have thought of data-only plans, but I don't think voice mail works with that. I need voice mail working for my occasional missed calls.

Thank you for your input :lol:
15 replies
Aug 20, 2006
351 posts
6 upvotes
Wait for Boxing Day. Fido's deals aren't the greatest now. At this point, you should have some loyalty dollars banked with Fido so that you can call retention and get the Samsung Galaxy S4 for close to zero any day of the week. Don't worry too much that you brought your own phone in the past, and I wouldn't even bring that up with Fido!
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1941 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
Speak to retention. More than likely, they will waive that ridiculous hardware upgrade fee.
They say it's for admin etc. when in reality, it's simply an industry cash grab.

Because of this, waiving it is not a biggie. A sales technique to fool you into believing they're giving you a discount.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1754 posts
1893 upvotes
the koodo tab will paid off in 2 years under the new Koodo system. The S4 is a $375 phone at koodo and $700 phone at fido and virgin. In a year, the tab will be $150 at koodo and $375 at fido or virgin. Koodo will NEVER make you change your plan when renewing. Virgin will always force you to get an in market plan. I feel for the chumps that go for the others...
Jun 16, 2009
156 posts
5 upvotes
I am existing fido and got the N5 yesterday for $0, keeping same plan as you, the $39. Waiving the $25 admin fee and remainder of my current device fee (early upgrade) of $22. Though my contract was almost up (January). Didn't even have to go to retentions, just vaguely mentioned to first rep the Virgin's deal (including fact that can get it on similar plan of $40) with the $100 visa to get them to waive the fees. Others in fido retentions thread mentioned doing same thing with even 6 months left on their contract so don't think should be too much trouble for s4 or n5...
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2008
1352 posts
95 upvotes
Will I be able to get a free Nexus5 if I sign a contract on the 56$ plan(my two year were up last Feb).. ?

I got the Moto RazrHD for $50 on that contract.
Aug 11, 2014
61 posts
6 upvotes
Black Creek, BC
I can also confirm that if you have any remaining balance on your tab with koodo after 2 years it is cleared.

This way if you decide to get a new phone halfway through all you have to do is pay approx half of the phones cost (koodo has reasonable phone prices in comparison to others) with no other fees or penalties attached.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2012
1000 posts
271 upvotes
Hamilton
Just renewed today my second line with Fido contract expires next December kept the 45-10% plan 400 min and mb waived 25$ upgrade fee and 150$ left on contract

Still kept my soon expiring 56$ plan that I got almost 2 yrs ago with RAZR HD and 200$ gift card... Told fido I wanna wait for nexus 6 with that line
[OP]
May 19, 2009
669 posts
900 upvotes
Vancouver
Called 611 as people suggested here earlier. I was told by the customer rep that I CANNOT keep my $39 smart plan (450 min + 600MB) since mine is actually a monthly plan, NOT a contract, and that $39 smart plan is no longer valid. He said I can go to the mall and get a new S4 for $0 if I switch to one of the current smart plans (I told him I'll take the $45 plan) and there will be no hardware upgrade fees involved.

So then I went to the mall, the girl at the counter told me I CAN keep my $39 plan with the same 450 min + 600MB! But she told me I'll have to pay the $25 upgrade fee and buy a new $10 micro SIM card. Well, it's better than what the 611 rep told me (since switching to the $45 plan for two years means an extra $6 x 24 = $144+tax with lesser minutes and data), so I just went with buying the $10 new micro SIM card and paying $25 on my next bill to keep my current $39 plan.

It didn't went as well as what snafu101 said above, but since I went for the Galaxy S4 not the Nexus 5, so I didn't bother mentioning the Virgin Mobile $100 visa card deal. I'm happy to keep my $39 plan so paying $25+10 for a new S4 is acceptable to me. Now I don't have to think about getting a new phone until 2 years later :) The girl at the mall said the $25 will be applied on my next monthly bill, so I only had to pay for the new $10 mirco SIM card on the spot.

Not sure if calling 611 again to get the $25 waived would be a good idea since I don't want the next rep to tell me that the girl at the mall was wrong; I can't keep my $39 plan... or something like that. I guess I'll just have to take what I have here. :confused:

Thanks for everyone's input! ;)
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2012
1000 posts
271 upvotes
Hamilton
My old sim didn't work in new nexus 5 but did work in my other nexus 5 she gave me new one for free and 25 upgrade should be waived you didn't have device with them I would chat with Fido and ask for them to credit you on your next bill... Did you get Galaxy tab 3 lite also?
May 15, 2006
47 posts
Markham
Bought the Samsung S4 from Walmart with $150.00 GC.
[OP]
May 19, 2009
669 posts
900 upvotes
Vancouver
puska83 wrote: My old sim didn't work in new nexus 5 but did work in my other nexus 5 she gave me new one for free and 25 upgrade should be waived you didn't have device with them I would chat with Fido and ask for them to credit you on your next bill... Did you get Galaxy tab 3 lite also?
No I didn't get a galaxy tab 3 lite. I got the $0 Galaxy S4 that's part of the Fido black friday promo.

When I initially called 611 though that phone rep guy wouldn't let me keep my $39 plan. I'm worried that if I call 611 again to ask to have the $25 waived I'd be told to switch to the pricier smart plans =\ Doesn't seem worth the risk to call again for $25 when I could be losing the $39 plan... I don't want to push my luck. I don't have enough of it already :|
Oct 11, 2010
753 posts
80 upvotes
If the girl at the mall was wrong your plan would have been changed already. You can look up what plan you are on currently on via the Fido app or login on the Fido website.

Either way this is not a great deal since requiring you to change plans is shady, but if it worked out for you then great! No harm in calling and asking for a credit though. The Fido reps can't change your plan without your permission. And I presume you already have the S4.
[OP]
May 19, 2009
669 posts
900 upvotes
Vancouver
I kept my current $39 plan since the girl at the mall said I could (and that's even after I told her that I was gonna get the $45 smart plan with a new S4) so I appreciated that she told me I can get a new S4 without changing plan. The $39 one is a much better deal, and I don't think I see any retailer offering anything better at the moment.

I checked my plan on fido.ca and it's the same one, except that now under agreement it says "Nov 30 2014 to Nov 30 2016", which is what I expected since now I'm under the two-year contract. She also told me that my billing cycle would stay the same; the only thing different is the new two-year agreement.
$39 Smart Plan - 450 weekday minutes (7am to 6pm) - Unlimited Eve/Wknd minutes (Evenings Starting at 6 pm) - Unlimited Canada-wide long distance - Unlimited text, picture and video messages from Canada to Canadian, U.S and international wireless numbers - 600 MB Data - Call Display - Voicemail - Unlimited Circle Calling - Call Waiting - Conference Call

It was the 611 rep guy who told me that it's required to change plan in order to get a new phone. I'm glad it turns out I didn't have to change... but now it's making me doubt the reliability of the phone reps. Not sure if I want to waste time on another call(s) for $25 credit since I may or may not get it. The 611 call I made earlier today was essentially pointless since the mall gave me something better. :confused:

And yup, I got my birthday S4 and am quite happy with it. Bought a screen protector for it already. Now just need to find the right shell. :lol:

Edit:
On my pdf invoice though, it still says "Commitment Period: 2 years ending May 17/15"
So I hope I wouldn't be told that after May 2015 I'd have to change plan =\ I guess I'll just have to check again to see what next month's invoice says.
Nov 16, 2012
643 posts
177 upvotes
VANCOUVER
You won't have to change your plan, even if your contract expires, as you would just go onto a month to month agreement.

The only time they would ask you to change the plan was if you were looking into hardware upgrading your phone again.