• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2016 3:51 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1641 posts
1072 upvotes
Calgary
What do you gain from this vs magicjack or freephoneline or something?
Does Fido do proper emergency calls support? (I think the VOIP options aren't as good for emergency response times? Police...Fire... Etc as they don't get your address and stuff?)
Jan 28, 2007
904 posts
318 upvotes
OakAged wrote: Still cheaper in the long run to get an Obi 200 or 202 and VoIP service from Voip.ms, FreePhoneLine, or similar provider, and no need to be a customer of Fido or anyone else. (Just search RFD for "voip" and "obi" and you'll see some helpful threads.)

Of if you ARE a Fido customer in Manitoba, Saskatchewan or Quebec, and don't like to configure Internet devices, the OP's offer is a fine choice.
The Obi setup is pretty straight forward with voip.ms and google voice
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1274 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
TheImp wrote: What a scam this is. You're ripping people off because they don't live in one of these provinces. How do you live with yourself? Scammers.
Well if you're so unhappy then move to those provinces. Cheaper cell phone plans too.
Jun 30, 2014
251 posts
65 upvotes
YVR
OakAged wrote: Still cheaper in the long run to get an Obi 200 or 202 and VoIP service from Voip.ms, FreePhoneLine, or similar provider, and no need to be a customer of Fido or anyone else. (Just search RFD for "voip" and "obi" and you'll see some helpful threads.)

Of if you ARE a Fido customer in Manitoba, Saskatchewan or Quebec, and don't like to configure Internet devices, the OP's offer is a fine choice.
+1
I just switched from Vonage to an OBi with freephoneline and couldn't be happier. :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
CCOOPER1 wrote: MagicJack - $30/yr

Proprietary garbage that uses inferior termination carriers

MJ is the bottom of the barrel.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_pho ... cjack.html

Friends don't let friends use magicjack

merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st24940025
DoctorT wrote:I also noticed the call quality is a lot better on FPL compared to MagicJack (who I was with before) - so I'm pretty happy there too.
DoctorT wrote: Yeah, I couldn't wait for my 1 year with [Magicjack] to end.
'Nuff said
Sep 3, 2004
279 posts
Mississauga, ON
Might want to update the Thread title - MB, SK, QC Only.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1291 posts
845 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I tried Sipura SPA devices and an asterisk based system several years ago and had echo and delay problems.

The flack that I got from my wife for having any perceptible difference from a "non-standard" (ie non-legacy) system prevents me from trying ANYTHING else.

I ended up deciding that my "5Mbps" DSL that topped at about 3Mbps was likely the problem. Faster internet speed are still not available on my street.
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
Suthek wrote: (I think the VOIP options aren't as good for emergency response times? Police...Fire... Etc as they don't get your address and stuff?)

They do have your address. But it's a two step process.

VoIP E911 is a two step process. With Freephonline, after dialing 911, the initial E911 call centre, which does have my name, address, and call back number, still has to transfer the call to local dispatch (PSAP), which doesn't have my name, address, and phone number.

In some rare instances, I suppose it's possible that Northern911 (I'm guessing this is what FPL uses, but I'm not sure) may not transfer to the correct local dispatch (PSAP) number (human error happens).

Some people I configured services for in the past were very paranoid about VoIP E911 and forced me to do a test call. Worked fine. That is, the first person I reached had name and address info; they ask for confirmation. And the call was promptly transferred to local dispatch and correct address info was given to local dispatch, verbally, by the first call centre. Worked fine each and every time I was asked to test.

Also, keep in mind that with FPL each E911 call is $35. If you dial 911 less than twice a year (or less than every 3 years with Anveo's $0.80 USD/monthly fee) vs. paying $1.50 USD/month with Callcentric or VoIP.ms, you're ahead with FPL. And you're paying an ongoing minimum monthly fee of $3.98 with Ooma. Ask yourself how often you're calling 911. If you're a senior citizen with a lot of health issues, maybe FPL is a bad idea. (And I don't mean to belittle this point. Everyone gets old. Health is a serious matter.) Otherwise, you'll end up way ahead using a FPL/Google Voice combo in the long run (in terms of cost).

Here's the thing . . . I used to talk to FPL reps several years ago over the phone, back when they allowed tech support calls. And even then a e911 fee was listed (but not in the FAQs), and I inquired about it. I was told the fee was intended to dissuade people from test calling 911--and that people wouldn't actually be charged.

Fast forward to now, and the $35 per call E911 fee is listed in the FAQs. It's listed all over the place. It's certainly enough to prevent me from testing 911 on FPL. Reps are now saying you will be charged no matter what when you dial 911. Is that true? Maybe. Is that enough to scare me from testing 911? Sure. Has anyone been charged yet? Not that I know of. Anyway, no one is going to be calling 911 using FPL unless it's really necessary now, and if that's the intent, I'm fine with it. And if I really need E911 as a backup (my smartphone is always nearby), it's there for me. In the meantime, I'm not paying ongoing monthly fees for something I'm not using.

VoIP E911 is available all the time under these conditions:

1) You have electricity. A UPS is always a good idea.

2) Your internet service isn't out.

3) Your VoIP service isn't down.

I don't know anyone who doesn't have a smartphone . . .

Btw, FPL is $70+tax for as long as you use FPL. In the long run, there is no cheaper option for a Canadian phone number/DID. But FPL is a pretty bare-bones service. Other VoIP services offer a lot more features (Anveo, VoIP.ms, Callcentric)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
treasureseeker3 wrote: I tried Sipura SPA devices and an asterisk based system several years ago and had echo
There is no echo out of box with Obihai ATAs. Some Siprua ATAs were known for having echo issues.

What sets Obihai OBi200/OBi202 ATAs apart from other ATAs, in addition to being able to use Google Voice, is their powerful call routing features.

You can have 4 different phone numbers (or more) from 4 different service providers. But if you just want to make outgoing calls without wanting to pay for a DID/phone number from a specific provider (VoIP.ms, for example), you can also make use of up to 8 voice gateways. So you could be using 12 different service providers at the same time, all on the same phone, if you want.

You could be using Freephoneline, Google Voice, Voip.MS, Anveo, Callcentric, etc. all on the same phone line.

I use FPL and voip.ms (and lots of other providers). You're not stuck with a single provider with an Obihai ATA.
You do not have to pay for a DID (phone number) to make outbound calls with VoIP.ms

OBi200/202 offers support for up to 4 SIP trunks and 8 voice gateways.

Many people have multiple accounts with different providers. I'm one of them.

For some people, Google Voice (getting a GV # requires a U.S. IP address and U.S. phone number; I will not be assisting anyone with obtaining GV #s) is one account. You get a U.S. phone number that people
in a local city in the U.S. can call for free. You can call anywhere in Canada and the U.S. for free.
Note that obtaining a Google Voice number requires a U.S. IP address and a legitimate U.S. phone number (typically not VoIP) that hasn't been used to activate Google Voice before. I will not be helping people obtain Google Voice phone numbers, sorry.

Freephoneline is another account. You get a Canadian phone number. You can call to most major Canadian cities for free.
$70 setup fee+tax. No ongoing fees for as long as you use FPL. But each e911 call is $35+tax (however, consider that
all other providers charge a monthly fee for this. If you don't more than one 911 call every two/three years, you're laughing).

Someone might be using VoiP.ms on a voice gateway for outgoing calls only.
Someone might be using a VoIP.ms phone number on a SIP account.

Some people use free N.Y. phone numbers from Callcentric. That's another SIP account.

Some people might be using Anveo. Anveo Obihai special pricing can be found here (in USD): http://www.anveo.com/anveoforobitalk.asp

If you choose multiple providers, you can cherry pick long distance rates overseas.

You can setup SIP Broker on a voice gateway and get access to free calling to over 2,000 VoIP networks for free:
http://www.sipbroker.com
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.0
I would prefer people not PMing me or asking me how to set that up though. Sorry.

Someone might also want a free U.K. phone number: https://www.telng.com/ukddi.html

Want an incoming phone call to be routed via SIP URI dialing elsewhere for free? You can do that with an OBi. Want to have an incoming call be routed through another service provider to a different phone number? You can do that with an Obihai ATA. Want to be able to dial into your ATA from a cellphone and have the ATA call you back (great if you have free incoming minute plans) and get access to all of the same services you have on your ATA? You can do that with an Obihai ATA's auto attendant feature.

Is your mom is calling you on your FPL number, but you want to route that call to your aunt in the U.S. for free using Google Voice? Or maybe you want that call to be routed to your uncle in Sweden using VoiP.ms' value rates. You can do that with an Obihai ATA.

With an MJ and Ooma, you're stuck with them. And in the unlikely event those companies were to ever go under, you'd be stuck with a proprietary brick, unless you are able to figure out how to unlock the device.

and delay problems

People should be testing their pings and jitter (you want little to no variation between pings) to the specific VoIP providers' SIP servers they plan on using before purchasing anything.

My pings to

a) voip.freephoneline.ca average 11 ms.
b) voip2.freephoneline.ca average 12 ms
c) voip4.freephoneline.ca average 27 ms

If you would like to test FPL for free, you can try its free desktop app with a microphone and headset (or speakers):
https://www.fongo.com/app/desktop/

If the desktop app works fine for you, then an Obihai ATA and the $70+tax FPL SIP settings should work fine for you as well, provided you're using it on a computer that's attached to your router.

I tend to dislike the free desktop app (advertisement based).

I used to get very low latency to voip.ms closest sip servers to me as well, but recently they've climbed to 48 ms (still perfectly fine). I'm still not detecting any delay.
http://wiki.voip.ms/article/Choosing_Server
In fact, I'm getting lower pings than 48 ms to Chicago and New York (around 24 ms).

My pings to VoIP sip servers (FPL, Anveo, voip.ms and to ping.callcentric.com), are well below 50.

This Obihai ATA is just the device, which allows you to use whatever VoIP/SIP service(s) you want.
You still have to look into what service you want to use first. Some popular ones include
freephoneline.ca (servers are in Ontario, I think, around Milton), voip.ms (wide range of server locations: http://wiki.voip.ms/article/Choosing_Server), anveo.com (Montreal), www.thespout.ca (Vancouver and Seattle), and callcentric.com (New York).

1.Use winmtr http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/

2. For Freephoneline.ca (Ontario based, possibly around Milton), test to voip.freephoneline.ca (let winmtr ping about 50 times), voip2.freephoneline.ca, and voip4.freephoneline.ca. You can copy text to clipboard and paste your results (do not post your own IP public address though) and post them for others to examine if you want.

You do not want high pings and lots of jitter (you do not want a lot of variation between each ping). If you get horrible results, you should probably avoid FPL.

3. For voip.ms, test to the closest server to you:
http://wiki.voip.ms/article/Choosing_Server

4. For Anveo (Montreal POP), test to sip.ca.anveo.com

5. For The Spout (Vancouver), test to ca.sipfrom.thespout.ca
(The Spout has SIP servers in Vancouver and Seattle)

6. For Callcentric (New York), test to ping.callcentric.com

7. For Ooma (California), test to myxprov.ooma.com

By the way, with WinMTR, you should also test to 74.125.39.7 (California) if you plan on trying to use Google Voice.
Obtaining a Google Voice number requires that you have a U.S. IP address and a U.S. phone number first (and I will generally be avoiding questions on how to go about obtaining a GV number).

Pinging and testing to the SIP servers you're thinking of using (and to Google Voice) should always be the first steps before jumping into a voip service.
Do this between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. to see if local congestion is a factor (this often is your ISP's fault). Sundays are the best days to test (because that's when most people in your area will be home). 8 p.m. - 11 p.m. is prime time.
visit ooma-voip-system-109-free-shipping-1823 ... st23781909
and newegg-ca-black-friday-deals-obihai-dev ... st24301565

If you get horrible results (really high pings and jitter), do not sign up for the service. You will not be happy.
This goes for all VoIP services. Test to their servers first.

The flack that I got from my wife for having any perceptible difference from a "non-standard" (ie non-legacy) system prevents me from trying ANYTHING else.
Actually, all VoIP services I use, including FPL and VoIP.ms, are indistinguishable from POTS (plain old telephone service) using the G.711u codec. In fact, they typically sound better than my old Bell landline, which gave me static sometimes during storms. I would not accept anything less.
I ended up deciding that my "5Mbps" DSL that topped at about 3Mbps was likely the problem.
That's not the problem. Up matters more than down, btw. And you should be enabling QoS in your router for your ATA.

Jitter and ping matter--not your download speed.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2016
100 posts
55 upvotes
Montr
Raquel_d90 wrote: What area are you in? Thanks for sharing!
sorry I was not clear in my post, I'm from Quebec so that why I got 10$ plan
Apr 22, 2012
59 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary
Webslinger wrote: Proprietary garbage that uses inferior termination carriers

MJ is the bottom of the barrel.

Friends don't let friends use magicjack

merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st24940025

'Nuff said
I have never had problems with MJ, I would think people with crappy internet bandwidth may have a problem. If you live in a city with decent internet - zero problems. It is around 1/4 the price of those other companies.

If it was that bad, DoctorT could have cancelled his account - it is only $30. The good doctor should be able to afford an analog line anyway ha ha.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
CCOOPER1 wrote: I have never had problems with MJ, I would think people with crappy internet bandwidth may have a problem.
They use the bottom of the barrel carriers. Call quality is inferior as a result. There's no comparison, especially for international calls.
800+ complaints, ongoing

Pianoguy works in the industry and is a VoIP expert (one of the most knowledgeable VoIP sources on RFD):
magicjack-nettalk-best-1624981/2/#post20853671
mada726 wrote:MagicJack or NetTalk - which is best?
Pianoguy wrote:Ford Pinto or Yugo - which is best?
Point being neither is a great pick.

mobile-voip-apps-over-lte-1827219/#post23825209
death_hawk wrote:I'd like to forget [Magicjack] but people keep bringing it up.
death_hawk helps out a lot of people with VoIP issues on these forums.

Why is it that some of the most knowledgeable people regarding VoIP setups and services are warning others to avoid MJ? It's because their internet service sucks? Really? No.
CCOOPER1 wrote:If you live in a city with decent internet - zero problems.
MJ is especially horrible for international calls. There's just no comparison.
It is around 1/4 the price of those other companies.
No. FPL is $70+tax for as long as you use FPL. When I went with FPL it was $50+tax. For over 5 years my monthly recurring bills
with FPL has been $0. And Google Voice/Hangouts is completely free and is also better than MJ for international calls.

If it was that bad, DoctorT could have cancelled his account - it is only $30. The good doctor should be able to afford an analog line anyway ha ha.
$30 is a lot of free minutes

Why would anyone pay for POTS (plain old telephone service) except for 911 when FPL, VoIP.ms, Callcentric, Anveo, etc. all offer the G.711u audio codec (POTS) and carriers that make their service sound exactly the same as POTS? Pointless.