[Fido] Wireless Home phone $10 per month

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2016 3:51 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2010
1432 posts
352 upvotes
no thanks...I'll stick with my Ooma. $4.50 a month.
Apr 22, 2012
59 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary
I don't have a dog in this fight, I can only relay my personal experiences. I have had zero issues with MJ and it is only $30/yr. Sounds like your mind may be made up without actually trying it yourself. I used my MJ number while in Asia with zero problems as well.

Some people in "the industry" may be biased because MJ is so much cheaper, I don't really care. MJ's technology may suck or whatever, I have no clue - all I know is that it works fine for me and it is the cheapest.
Apr 22, 2012
59 posts
54 upvotes
Calgary
Too itchy wrote: no thanks...I'll stick with my Ooma. $4.50 a month.
Don't you have to buy the device for $200+ as well?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1291 posts
845 upvotes
Toronto, ON
While we're talking VOIP .. I've been using Fongo on my Android phone .. both on cellular data and on wifi at both home and work
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
CCOOPER1 wrote: I don't have a dog in this fight, I can only relay my personal experiences. I have had zero issues with MJ and it is only $30/yr. Sounds like your mind may be made up without actually trying it yourself. I used my MJ number while in Asia with zero problems as well.
I have tested it (not for myself) and helped others when they were having issues with MJ. You're mistaken. I wouldn't be making these comments otherwise.
Some people in "the industry" may be biased because MJ is so much cheaper, I don't really care.
No. These guys don't care.

There's, invariably, an immediate rush to assume someone's a shill just because he doesn't like something.
I don't even think Pianoguy is a FPL customer. He still helps out people in the RFD FPL thread.

It's not cheaper. In the long run, there is nothing cheaper than FPL+GV. Period.
all I know is that it works fine for me
Have you actually compared MJ to POTS? Side by side? Maybe to the untrained ear, the difference isn't significant, but wow, I could tell immediately, in particular, for international calls. This is not a jitter/ping issue (which often is internet service related). I'm simply referring to clarity. That's a carrier issue.

Anyway, fair enough. People like what they like. I can even find Nettalk fans online after everything that's happened to them. Blows my mind.
Aug 17, 2008
422 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
mockingjay wrote: sorry I was not clear in my post, I'm from Quebec so that why I got 10$ plan
No worries, that is what I figured that it was just for Quebec because it is now $15 here in Ontario
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
1177 posts
236 upvotes
Montreal
mockingjay wrote: Just cancel my bell phone line and get the Fido home phone plan for 10$ per month (cost for zte box is: 40$) (www.fido.ca link : 15$ per month, but if you go to the fido kiosk directly , they will offer you 10$ per month for fido customer) , also you can bring this zte box anywhere with fido coverage and you can talk and receive calls for free in Canada)

the plan has:

- Unlimited Canada-Wide Calling
- Enhanced Voicemail
- Call display
- Unlimited anytime minutes
- Included Canada-wide long-distance

You just connect your phone to this Zte box and that is .. also you can move your current home phone number to this plan free of charge.

Also you will receive a gift (in my case, they gave me Iphone 6 case for free)
Were you hibernating and keeping paying 30+$ a month to Bell for the last 2 years? Jesus.
This is not a deal or anything new. I've been on the same deal with Rogers for 2 years now. Same ZTE box at the time they were going for 29$...it has always been 10$/plan never heard of 15$...
I'm in Laval, Corporate Rogers account owner.
Jun 19, 2011
243 posts
67 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
I have used Fido home phone for a month and it was good. I could use it in the car by powering it with the cigarette lighter 12V. You can even take out its SIM card once it's been connected. Tried the SIM in my cell phone it didn't work though :(

I now have a like new ZTE modem for sale PM me if anyone one is interested.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1116 posts
206 upvotes
Zte modem is garbage, doesn't support name display
Jul 17, 2011
41 posts
4 upvotes
KITCHENER
Do you like the magicjack? Is it had too hook up?
Apr 25, 2006
319 posts
122 upvotes
Ontario
tushardeep wrote: +1
I just switched from Vonage to an OBi with freephoneline and couldn't be happier. :)
I'm thinking of switching to them also. Do you have to pay the $4.95/month fee when using it that way?
Jun 30, 2014
251 posts
65 upvotes
YVR
Dohboy wrote: I'm thinking of switching to them also. Do you have to pay the $4.95/month fee when using it that way?
No Monthly charges if you use a VOIP device like OBi (I have OBi 202 for two phone lines). Only issue can be some upfront costs involved.

The OBi device can be bought for $ 60-70 on sale. But the Freephoneline charges $ 59+HST (Update: $69.95+HST now) for VOIP unlock and another $25+HST if you're porting an existing phone number. But, the benefit is that you have a free phone service for life. Calling to major Canadian cities is free (check here).

I have also configured Google Voice on the same device for free calling to Canada & US as well. plus LocalPhone service for international calling.
Apr 25, 2006
319 posts
122 upvotes
Ontario
tushardeep wrote: No Monthly charges if you use a VOIP device like OBi (I have OBi 202 for two phone lines). Only issue can be some upfront costs involved.

The OBi device can be bought for $ 60-70 on sale. But the Freephoneline charges $ 59+HST for VOIP unlock and another $25+HST if you're porting an existing phone number. But, the benefit is that you have a free phone service for life. Calling to major Canadian cities is free (check here).

I have also configured Google Voice on the same device for free calling to Canada & US as well. plus LocalPhone service for international calling.
Thanks for the info! I may do the same thing you did. I don't care to port my current home number so maybe it will be free to get a new local #. Was it complicated to get Google Voice setup while being in Canada too?
Jun 30, 2014
251 posts
65 upvotes
YVR
Dohboy wrote: Thanks for the info! I may do the same thing you did. I don't care to port my current home number so maybe it will be free to get a new local #. Was it complicated to get Google Voice setup while being in Canada too?
You will still need to pay a one-time cost of $69.95+HST for the VOIP unlock key to freephoneline. Google Voice can be bit tricky. I used the Burner smartphone app that can help you create a free US phone number that is disposable and is valid for a week. You just create a number, connect using a US proxy and login with your Google account to the GV page and request/setup a new number. Use the number given by burner app when asked for one during the GV setup.