• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2016 3:51 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3301 upvotes
tushardeep wrote: But the Freephoneline charges $ 59+HST for VOIP unlock
It's $70+tax now. Back when I signed up, it was $50+tax.
Burner smartphone app
That doesn't work anymore. Don't waste your time.
Jun 30, 2014
250 posts
65 upvotes
YVR
Webslinger wrote: It's $70+tax now. Back when I signed up, it was $50+tax.

That doesn't work anymore. Don't waste your time.

Thanks for the correction, I confused it to be $ 59. Its actually $69.95+HST now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3301 upvotes
tushardeep wrote: I confused it to be $ 59.
It used to be. There's been two $10 price hikes over the last two years.
Jun 19, 2011
243 posts
67 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
Gorillaa wrote: Zte modem is garbage, doesn't support name display
It supports caller ID. The newer model supports caller number and name.
Sep 3, 2004
279 posts
Mississauga, ON
ebcrazee wrote: It supports caller ID. The newer model supports caller number and name.
+ 1.
Jan 26, 2011
430 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
nomes wrote: + 1.
I would buy newer ZTE721 but if you go to Fido forums they are having big problems with this newer model.
Will keep mine (ZTE720) until bugs are fixed and settle for number caller ID only.
Almost purchased to get the name Id but according to Fido store and forums the newer unit for some customers is very problematic.
Anyone has updated news please let us know.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2004
1115 posts
147 upvotes
have two lines with freephoneline.ca with grandstream HT702 dual line adapter. not really happy. initially, one there were all those ghost dialing calling u all the time, shows numbers as 0000 1111 and such. I then found it was some people scanning and hacking voip so I changed port number to fix it. Then one of the line completed stopped working despite the settings are all correct. The other line that works, still gets anonymous faxes all the time with stupid advertisement. The number for this line is not distributed at all, nobody knows about it, yet i still get those stupid advertisement fax all the time. It's so annoying that we have completely unplugged and stopped using them. $100 (for two lines) down the drian plus the $25 for porting.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
7909 posts
1579 upvotes
Toronto
galantgtz99 wrote: ... The other line that works, still gets anonymous faxes all the time with stupid advertisement. The number for this line is not distributed at all, nobody knows about it, yet i still get those stupid advertisement fax all the time....
This is simply the result of scanning numbers. They don't know your number (at least initiallY!) and just scan for a fax response.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2004
1115 posts
147 upvotes
Jimbobs wrote: This is simply the result of scanning numbers. They don't know your number (at least initiallY!) and just scan for a fax response.
the key is how to eliminate this? it's so annoying... any idea? thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3301 upvotes
galantgtz99 wrote: the key is how to eliminate this?
For SIP scanners with Obihai ATAs . . .

Having problems with SIP Scanners? Is your phone ringing constantly with caller ids that appear as 1001, 999, etc. Bots/hackers/scammers are looking (scanning ports) for ways to break into your services and devices.

1. Are you port forwarding from the router to the ATA or using DMZ? Let's not do that unless you have no other choice. Disable any port forwarding in the router to the ATA, especially UDP port 5060. If you find disabling port forwarding creates 1-way audio issues (or other weird problems), try disabling SIP ALG in your router.

2. If you used the OBitalk web portal to configure your ATA, you need to continue using www.obitalk.com for now. Enter the expert menu (advanced configuration; it's an "E" icon). Otherwise, dial ***1, and enter the IP you're told into your web browser.

If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

3. Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(service you're using) Service-->X_UserAgentPort
Change this to something between 30000 and 60000

(In the Obitalk.com Portal, uncheck both device default and obitalk settings boxes to enter in your own settings).

(Submit/save and reboot ATA)

For OBi100 and OBi110

4. Create a white list of authorized IP addresses of the SIP servers you're using (and want to connect with your OBi ATA):
Service Providers>ITSP Profile (service you're using) >SIP>X_AccessList (enter valid SIP server IP addresses).

voip.freephoneline.ca is 208.65.240.44, for example.
toronto.voip.ms is 184.75.215.106.

Separate SIP server IP addresses that you use with this ITSP Service profile with commas in X_AccessList. Basically, you need to know what the IP addresses are of the SIP servers you're using for this particular VoIP service (and not for every single VoIP provider you use in general) on this particular ITSP Profile.

(submit/save and reboot ATA)

5. Stick/Add {>('yourauthusernamegoeshere'):ph} in your inbound call route. Voice Services-->SP(service you're using)-->X_InboundCallRoute
Use Oleg's method: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5467.0 (step 4 from that link)

If you don't know what yourauthusername is, navigate to Voice Services-->SP(service you're using) -->SIP Credentials-->AuthUserName

Here's an example of what an X_InboundCallRoute might look like with that part added:

{(MTelemarketers):},{>('yourauthusernamegoeshere'):ph}

The first section can be whatever you currently have in X_InboundCallRoute. The bolded part is what you need to add.

For OBi200 and OBi202 steps 4 and 5 are a lot simpler:

4. Enable X_AcceptSipFromRegistrarOnly to accept inbound SIP requests only if they came from the same IP address of the current Registered proxy (found under Voice Services > SP(service you're using) Service-->SP Service)
If you're using Callcentric (ITSP service provider) with a secondary registration, don't do step 4 with an OBi200/202.

5. Remember: if you used the OBitalk web portal to configure your ATA, you need to continue using www.obitalk.com for now. Enable X_EnforceRequestUserID to accept SIP invite requests only if the request userid matches AuthUserName or X_ContactUserID (found under Voice Services > SP(service you're using) Service-->SIP Credentials)

The combination of steps 4 and 5 will stop sip scanner calls completely. But nothing beats a good firewall.

Having problems with Telemarketers?

To learn about MTelemarketers (above) and blocking Telemarketers, visit http://www.toao.net/503-blocking-telema ... an-obi-ata
(this part is unrelated to stopping sip scanners). Good guide. Note that user defined digitmaps are limited to 511 characters.

If you have an OBi200 or OBi202, you can also navigate to Voice Services-->SP (service you're using)-->Calling Features-->X_BlockedCallers
You can enter 10 phone numbers, separated by commas, that you want to block per SP.

A. If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter that IP address into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods. Keep in mind that activating Google Voice requires using the Obitalk.com web portal.

B. Navigate to Voice Services-->SP(voipservice) Service-->X_InboundCallRoute

add {(MTelemarketers):}

Here's an example of what an X_InboundCallRoute might look like

Code: Select all

{(MTelemarketers):},{>('yourauthusernamegoeshere'):ph}
For an OBi202, this would look like

{(MTelemarketers):},{>('yourauthusernamegoeshere'):ph,ph2}
M, by the way, stands for Digit Map.

If you don't know what yourauthusername is, navigate to Voice Services-->SP(voipservice) -->SIP Credentials-->AuthUserName

C. submit/save/reboot

D. Navigate to User Settings-->User Defined Digit Maps

i. Pick an unused User Defined Digit Map

ii. For the Label, enter Telemarketers

iii. For the DigitMap, enter phone numbers you want to block.

For example, (1234567890|4168888888|5193333333)

E. Submit/save/reboot

Note that you must enter phone numbers as they appear in your VoIP service's call log. For FPL users login at https://www.freephoneline.ca/callLogs

Note that this method for Freephoneline drops all Telemarketer calls to FPL's voicemail (FPL basically wants all incoming calls picked up no matter what because FPL makes money off of incoming termination fees to its network), but at least your phones won't ring.

I probably do not have time to troubleshoot the following FPL workaround for that voicemail issue (especially not via PM, thank you), but here's a potential solution for that:

Because of not wanting these telemarketer calls to drop to FPL's voicemail, boon1 came up with a cool idea for sending these calls to the auto attendant.
merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st21807239
merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st21660123
However, for me, that's a bit of a problem because people in my household use the Auto Attendant to dial into and receive calls back from (and I don't want them to hear voice prompts that are intended for telemarketers). Because I have an OBi202, I have access to OBiPlus Basic, which gives me access to two additional auto attendants for free. I used one of them: merged-freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft ... st21807239 Edit: It appears that OBiPlus Basic is no longer being offered for new customers.

Also, you if you have another ITSP, configured on SP2 for example, you could use

{(MTelemarketers):sp2(phonenumbertosendtelemarketers)}
in FPL's X_InboundCallRoute in place of {(MTelemarketers):} to send those telemarketing calls to another phone number.

If FPL is SP1, you can also use

{(MTelemarketers):sp1(phonenumbertosendtelemarketers)}

or (for sip calls)

{(MTelemarketers):sp1(sipnumber@sipdomain.com)}
It doesn't really matter. But if you don't want telemarketing calls to drop straight to FPL's voicemail, it is possible with an Obihai ATA, to route these calls elsewhere. Maybe you want to send them to Lenny: http://toao.net/595-lenny (keep in mind that sending telemarketers to Lenny will let telemarketers know your phone number is active).

Good luck!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3301 upvotes
galantgtz99 wrote: have two lines with freephoneline.ca with grandstream HT702 dual line adapter.
Oops. I posted a solution for Obihai ATAs. You're using something else.

Same basic principle: do not port forward or use DMZ. Use a good firewall.
shows numbers as 0000 1111 and such
That has nothing to do with FPL. That has everything to do with a security problem on your end.

Those are SIP scanners or bots/crackers/scammers looking (scanning ports) to break into your services and devices by port scanning.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3301 upvotes
galantgtz99 wrote:
Then one of the line completed stopped working despite the settings are all correct.
That may be due to too many registration attempts within a given period. When that happens an FPL account may end up with a temporary IP ban. If you're using voip.freephoneline.ca on FXS1, try voip2.freephoneline.ca on FXS2. I'm not positive that will help, but it's worth trying.
have two lines with freephoneline.ca with grandstream HT702 . . .

shows numbers as 0000 1111
Your ATA is likely completely hacked.

The fact that you're getting SIP scanner attacks showing up on your caller ID and ringing your phone means you've got a security issue.

If you don't have a router with a good NAT firewall, you need one.
Attach your ATA to the router. Asus RT-N66U, RT-AC66U, RT-AC68U, RT-AC3200, etc. all work fine with Freephoneline
and provide protection for your ATA. Most ISPs provide pretty terrible modem/router combos that also have NAT firewalls (better than nothing). If you have the ATA attached to the internet with no firewall at all, expect to be hacked. If you're using port forwarding or DMZ, expect to be hacked.

So, what brand and model router are you using?

i. I would factory reset your ATA. Hold down the reset button on the back for 7 seconds.

A. Unplug the
Ethernet cable.

B. Locate a needle sized hole on the back panel of the ATA
next to the power connection

C. Insert a pin in this hole, and press for about 7 seconds.

D. Take out the pin. All unit settings are restored to factory settings

ii. Before beginning the steps below make sure whatever modem/router combo your ISP gave you is in bridge mode if you are using your own router. Call/contact your ISP if you have to.

1. Are you port forwarding from the router to the ATA or using DMZ? Let's not do that unless you have no other choice (port forwarding and DMZ are security risks). Disable any port forwarding in the router to the ATA, especially UDP port 5060. Port forwarding creates security issues and can open the door to SIP scanners and hackers. If you find disabling port forwarding creates 1-way audio issues (or other weird problems), try voip4.freephoneline.ca:6060 for the primary sip server and/or try to disable SIP ALG in your router (again, call your ISP if you received your router from your ISP and enquire about disabling SIP ALG).

2. Use firmware 1.0.8.2: http://www.grandstream.com/support/firmware
http://www.grandstream.com/sites/defaul ... .0.8.2.zip

3. Select SIP REGISTER Contact Header Uses WAN address after logging into the ATA.

4. visit http://forum.fongo.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 44&p=67734, and look at the .pdf file
Configure your ATA properly, but make the following changes:

5. Navigate to FXS1 Port-->Change local SIP port to 35005
If you're also using FXS2 Port-->Change local SIP port 29999

6. Enable the following 2 options in your FXS Port Configuration Page for both FXS1 and FXS2 (I don't have a Grandstream ATA, so I haven't tested these features, but they were intended to help block SIP scanners):

a. Check SIP User ID for incoming INVITE

b. Allow Incoming SIP Messages from SIP Proxy Only

Hardware Specific Issues

A. Netgear R7000 routers
If you have a Netgear R7000 router, you may need to install XWRT firmware if you're getting dead air after 10 minutes (or one-way audio issues). Afterwards, turn off the router and the ATA. Turn on the router. Wait for it to be fully up and running (including wi-fi). Then turn on the ATA. Download XWRT-Vortex here: http://xvtx.ru/xwrt/download.htm

B. Nettis 4422 modem from Carry Telecom (click the "Internet" tab)
http://www.carrytel.ca/support.aspx
Q : DSL - My VoIP phone does not work with Netis 4422 modem.
A : Please download the newest Netis firmware at www.carrytel.ca/download/netis1228.zip. Unzip the netis1228.zip file and update the firmware file netis1228.img for your modem. The new firmware has been tested and working with most of Voip phone providers
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3301 upvotes
galantgtz99 wrote: The number for this line is not distributed at all, nobody knows about it, yet i still get those stupid advertisement fax all the time.
It's somewhat unfortunate that you don't have an Obihai ATA, which would allow you to create a whitelist and/or use the Telemarketing digitmap feature I mentioned previously.

FWIW, Fongo and FPL are sister companies owned by Fibernetics, the largest privately held CLEC in Canada. Fongo and FPL get their free numbers from Fibernetics. I use Fongo Mobile as a dedicated incoming fax line. That's what I like about it, to be honest. You can see the faxes right from within the app.

Anyway, I did have the fax issue you're having with a Fongo Mobile number (but never with my FPL number). I was getting Canadian spam fax calls. I then registered my Fongo Mobile number with the Do Not Call List. A month later or so, the faxes stopped. My feeling is that these Canadian faxers that were previously bothering me were complying with the Do Not Call List.

So, presumably, if the faxes are coming from a Canadian source, in theory, you could add yourself to the Do Not Call list: https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/insnum-regnum-eng
And then when your number with the Do Not Call List is in effect, you could, again, in theory, file complaints to the CRTC if you continue to get faxes from Canadian sources.

However, the do not call list is often considered a joke because it's a location for foreign telemarketers to collect everyone's phone number. And they'll just spoof or fake outgoing phone numbers and call you constantly.

In theory, you can also call the number at the bottom of the faxes and ask them to unregister your phone number. But you also run the risk of having the company give your phone number to other companies at that point. They know your phone number is active and accepts faxes. They can compile a list of working numbers for the purposes of marketing.

Pianoguy suggests the following:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/merged-f ... st22769793
PianoGuy wrote: The best way to deal with fax spam is to answer all calls. A physical answering machine would be good for this. If you don't have one, you could pick one up at a thrift store for $5. Alternately, (I assume the faxes are emailed to you) just set up a filter in your email client to automatically delete them.

I would have better suggestions, if they used predictable Caller ID.
It should be noted that if a fax call reaches your FPL voicemail, you will receive the fax automatically as a .pdf. in your online FPL account (which can also be forwarded automatically to your email account). You can adjust the number of rings before voicemail picks up in your FPL online account.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Feb 4th, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 3, 2004
279 posts
Mississauga, ON
TheRonald wrote: I would buy newer ZTE721 but if you go to Fido forums they are having big problems with this newer model.
Will keep mine (ZTE720) until bugs are fixed and settle for number caller ID only.
Almost purchased to get the name Id but according to Fido store and forums the newer unit for some customers is very problematic.
Anyone has updated news please let us know.
Picked up mine last week. Fido waived the $40.00 charge for the modem.
It has been working great so far. No complaints at all.