Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] Wireless Home phone $10 per month

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2016 3:51 am
Tags:
Feb 27, 2005
854 posts
61 upvotes
TheRonald wrote: I would buy newer ZTE721 but if you go to Fido forums they are having big problems with this newer model.
Will keep mine (ZTE720) until bugs are fixed and settle for number caller ID only.
Almost purchased to get the name Id but according to Fido store and forums the newer unit for some customers is very problematic.
Anyone has updated news please let us know.
From what I was told the old $10 grandfathered plan, if you buy the new ZTE721 you will still only receive number caller ID and not name caller ID. I guess you need to upgrade to the $15 dollar plan if you want true caller name ID.
Jan 26, 2011
431 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
bonzo wrote: From what I was told the old $10 grandfathered plan, if you buy the new ZTE721 you will still only receive number caller ID and not name caller ID. I guess you need to upgrade to the $15 dollar plan if you want true caller name ID.
We all know how they play the game.I was charged for 2 text messages on my Fido home phone plan which is voice only.Figure that one out.Not worth sitting on phone with them for 1/2 hour for $.50 to cancel unless it continues.
Banned
Apr 22, 2015
884 posts
106 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I used Fido home phone for 2 months and here are my experience.
1) Unlimited Canadawide LD (don't know if includs North Territories but it's great if it does);
2) Works with alarm system;
3) NO CALLER DISPLAY NAME (just caller phone number, no name);
4) Doesn't work in USA. No roaming;
5) I need BUY the modem and it's mandatory. It's one time fee other than the $10 monthly fee.

All in all, it's a good deal. It's more solid than voip and you can use it with your alarm system (voip may or may not, but this one is definitely yes).
English is not my first language, please bear with me
Feb 9, 2011
659 posts
197 upvotes
How does it interface with Home alarm system? From what I understand it does not plug into existing telephone house wiring and therefore not sure how it interacts with the alarm system?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5699 posts
728 upvotes
Ribbyx wrote: How does it interface with Home alarm system? From what I understand it does not plug into existing telephone house wiring and therefore not sure how it interacts with the alarm system?
You can plug it into your telephone house wiring. That's what I do.
Apr 5, 2005
548 posts
133 upvotes
Montreal
tomtomtom wrote: You can plug it into your telephone house wiring. That's what I do.
http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido ... e#overview
Under the "Full Details":
"Not compatible with services including but not limited to wireless messaging and data services, fax service, medical alert systems, medical monitoring systems, credit card machines, IP/PBX Phone systems, or dial-up Internet service. "
"May not be compatible with your home security systems or DVR/Satellite systems, please check with your provider."

This is new (and glad to hear). When it first came out / last time I checked it was stated that it was NOT compatible at all with alarm systems.
Wonder if it's newer ZTE modems that allow it to work.
This previously was the sticking point for me; guess will have to find out if my alarm co knows if it will work or not.
Nov 23, 2011
331 posts
71 upvotes
North York
ModemOutlet wrote: I used Fido home phone for 2 months and here are my experience.
1) Unlimited Canadawide LD (don't know if includs North Territories but it's great if it does);
2) Works with alarm system;
3) NO CALLER DISPLAY NAME (just caller phone number, no name);
4) Doesn't work in USA. No roaming;
5) I need BUY the modem and it's mandatory. It's one time fee other than the $10 monthly fee.

All in all, it's a good deal. It's more solid than voip and you can use it with your alarm system (voip may or may not, but this one is definitely yes).
Are you on older plan for the $10 per month ?Foolish me regarding the alarm situation .
Went and changed my alarm system to GSM.Another added cost of $10 per month plus $200 for hardware.
Plus if I want name display must replace 5 month old zte720 to zte 721.Maybe packing Bell in was not such a good idea as these changes are becoming very costly.
Banned
Apr 22, 2015
884 posts
106 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
TheSenior1 wrote: Are you on older plan for the $10 per month ?Foolish me regarding the alarm situation .
Went and changed my alarm system to GSM.Another added cost of $10 per month plus $200 for hardware.
Plus if I want name display must replace 5 month old zte720 to zte 721.Maybe packing Bell in was not such a good idea as these changes are becoming very costly.
Yes I used old $10, it's great plan. I dropped it because I do need caller name since I resell internet plans, need say caller name in order to be friendly.

It works great with alarm system , also POS machine.
Banned
Apr 22, 2015
884 posts
106 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
thrifter wrote: http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido ... e#overview
Under the "Full Details":
"Not compatible with services including but not limited to wireless messaging and data services, fax service, medical alert systems, medical monitoring systems, credit card machines, IP/PBX Phone systems, or dial-up Internet service. "
"May not be compatible with your home security systems or DVR/Satellite systems, please check with your provider."

This is new (and glad to hear). When it first came out / last time I checked it was stated that it was NOT compatible at all with alarm systems.
Wonder if it's newer ZTE modems that allow it to work.
This previously was the sticking point for me; guess will have to find out if my alarm co knows if it will work or not.
Mine should be old modem (year 2014). So new modem has no reason doesn't work with alarm system.

Anybody can confirm caller name works on new modem? If yes, I may go back.
Aug 6, 2008
174 posts
27 upvotes
I love seeing people compare Fidos home phone to Magic Jack/obi/other voip options. Its as funny as those posts where people compare Wind to Rogers/Bell/Telus and other real phone networks. [removed]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
peshmerga wrote: I love seeing people compare Fidos home phone to Magic Jack/obi/other voip options. Its as funny as those posts where people compare Wind to Rogers/Bell/Telus and other real phone networks. [removed]
What's amusing is the belief that VoIP is always somehow significantly inferior to POTS (with the exception of 911). And it's even more amusing when someone thinks "obi" is a VoIP service.
Aug 6, 2008
174 posts
27 upvotes
Webslinger wrote: What's funny is that people think VoIP is somehow significantly inferior to POTS (with the exception of 911).
Let me know when your voip device has a built in battery and runs off od cellpones and isnt teathered to an internet service to work. Think RV's / Car Phone / Truckers / Cottages within cell range and than let me know how your voip phone will work for those. Comparing Satellite range to bluetooth range is stupid no? How about comparing Fido Home Phone to VOIP?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3302 upvotes
peshmerga wrote: Let me know when your voip device has a built in battery
My "devices" have APC UPS/battery backups. They're quite common. When the power goes out, my services still work.
and runs off od cellpones
What does od stand for?

My VoIP services also run on smartphones. I also have plenty of Anker external batteries for those.
and isnt teathered to an internet service to work. Think RV's / Car Phone / Truckers / Cottages within cell range
Provided I'm dealing with a good LTE signal, I'm probably not going to have problems with any of my VoIP services. A good 3G signal works fine too, but sometimes I need to switch to the G.729a audio codec on 3G. I'm also able to dial into my ATA or have it call me back using regular cellular airtime and can access all of my services without using data if I wish. I'm not really tied to anything. My services follow me.

Otherwise, sure, maybe Fido wireless/home phone has an advantage with range and mobility over regular cellular data, but home phone for most people, traditionally means POTS. And all the phone jacks in my house are able to use my VoIP services.

And furthermore, I'm not tied to single service or device.
Comparing Satellite range to bluetooth range is stupid no?
Yes, it's stupid, because the comparison you're using doesn't apply.

How about comparing Fido Home Phone to VOIP?
Sure. People using VoIP services can call anywhere within Canada and the U.S. for free and are not tied to single service. I can route calls to Japan, the U.K., etc., more cheaply than someone who is using a single service. I can also route calls between those services. I can call over 2,000 VoIP networks for free: http://www.sipbroker.com

I'm not saying Fido Home phone sucks. It may have an advantage in some areas over regular cellular data. But that's not what I think of when I think "home phone." When I think "home phone", I think Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS), which is typically tied to a house. And all I care about is G.711U audio quality (POTS).

My VoIP services (not Magicjack) sound the same or better than the Bell landline I used to use (again, I used to get static on my Bell landline during storms). I suspect most people would consider Bell to be a "real phone network."
is where people compare Wind to Rogers/Bell/Telus and other real phone networks.
This comparison doesn't work. I'm not having trouble placing calls at home (which usually puts the "home" in "home phone") or when I'm on LTE (I'm not using Wind). My VoIP services follow me when I leave home on my smartphone. I also don't have to use cellular data if I want. I can call into my ATA using regular cellular airtime and access all of my existing services as well.