[Fido] Wireless Home phone $10 per month

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2016 3:51 am
Tags:
Mar 15, 2007
49 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
I still have an old unit that I'm willing to sell fairly cheaply (when I had it posted back in the day no one was interested, given how easily they waive fees, plus FidoDollars, I didn't blame them..)
Jan 26, 2008
154 posts
69 upvotes
You can put the sim card in any Fido cell phone and still works fine. You can't receive/send text and no data. It's fun to use it as spare cell phone only for talking. And it's unlimited and no zone restriction.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10809 posts
7140 upvotes
GTA, ON
nomes wrote: Picked up mine last week. Fido waived the $40.00 charge for the modem.
It has been working great so far. No complaints at all.
How did you manage that?

I'll switch if they will allow an exchange of the older 720 unit for the newer one. One of the let downs with the older unit is the numeric call display so if I can get name display that would be an improvement.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jan 26, 2011
431 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: How did you manage that?

I'll switch if they will allow an exchange of the older 720 unit for the newer one. One of the let downs with the older unit is the numeric call display so if I can get name display that would be an improvement.
I was on Fido forum and told them had older 720 unit (4 months old) and have name display shown on my statement as included option and was asked if I wished to buy newer unit or keep my old unit.I declined the offer and will keep older unit.If I have to pay to upgrade hardware this often this is becoming not such a deal for me.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
10081 posts
3175 upvotes
Ottawa
I am not a Fido customer (I'm with Rogers for wireless) and I think Rogers offers something similar, albeit for $20. Just wondering if anyone is with Rogers for wireless home phone and if you can comment on the quality and overall experience.

Thanks.
[removed]
Nov 14, 2012
373 posts
107 upvotes
CALGARY
canabiz wrote: I am not a Fido customer (I'm with Rogers for wireless) and I think Rogers offers something similar, albeit for $20. Just wondering if anyone is with Rogers for wireless home phone and if you can comment on the quality and overall experience.

Thanks.
Coworker has one and is quite happy with it.
Sep 3, 2004
279 posts
Mississauga, ON
chimaican wrote: How did you manage that?

They must be running an in-store promotion. As I was going through my port request, the rep in the store mentioned that they are currently running a promo and will waive the $ 40.00 charge for the modem.
Dec 17, 2009
679 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Been using Fido Home Phone for 2 years, works flawlessly. Think i'm paying around $10+tax per month, in combination with 2 cell phone plans. Nice to know you can take the phone/unit with you when you travel anywhere in Canada, as both our cellular plans have limited minutes.
Apr 25, 2007
134 posts
37 upvotes
Markham, Canada
I think the Best is OOma. excellent Service and you Pay 3.99 + Tax or Premium 9.99+tax and voice quality is beyond Bell land line. IMO
May 27, 2007
48 posts
6 upvotes
Does anyone know if the Fido Home phone line will work with long distance calling cards?
Banned
Apr 22, 2015
884 posts
106 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
I checked my old device and it's 720, which didn't show caller name (show phone number only, 416-234-5678 ). Anybody confirm the new 721 can show caller name (ie. John Smith 416-234-5678 )?
English is not my first language, please bear with me
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1275 posts
411 upvotes
Toronto
This would be ideal for my parents as they don't have internet to get voip. Too bad this price is only for Fido customers.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5938 posts
2431 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
For those that are using Fido home phone... the way I understand it is that can plug anywhere with fido signal and get phone connection.

For example plug in house in Mississauga then visit family in Ottawa and can bring the adaptor and have phone service in Ottawa, correct?

Now here's the better question... if Fido has signal on highway between two cities would I be able to get phone service on highway by using one of those cigarette plug in box to power the Fido adaptor?
Jun 19, 2011
243 posts
67 upvotes
CAMBRIDGE
georvu wrote: For those that are using Fido home phone... the way I understand it is that can plug anywhere with fido signal and get phone connection.

For example plug in house in Mississauga then visit family in Ottawa and can bring the adaptor and have phone service in Ottawa, correct?

Now here's the better question... if Fido has signal on highway between two cities would I be able to get phone service on highway by using one of those cigarette plug in box to power the Fido adaptor?
Yes, it is basically a cell phone with a base that needs ac adaptor for power. It comes with an internal battery. You can plug it into car 12V adaptor so you have cell service on your drive.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5938 posts
2431 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
ebcrazee wrote: Yes, it is basically a cell phone with a base that needs ac adaptor for power. It comes with an internal battery. You can plug it into car 12V adaptor so you have cell service on your drive.
Thanks, just read fido page and says 36 hour battery back up so great even if no 12v adaptor!!

Anyone ever tried?

http://www.fido.ca/consumer/fido-home-phone

Freedom and Security

Portable anywhere within the Fido wireless network

36-hour standby battery backup