Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] Fido Xtra: 2 months YouTube Premium Free (new subscribers only)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2020 2:11 pm
Jul 10, 2019
81 posts
161 upvotes
I had the same issue, and when I contacted them they told me I had already registered in the past I must have forgotten. Otherwise use a different account
Aug 15, 2016
75 posts
55 upvotes
Same issue here, when I click on the link in the fido app, I see only a month long free trial. Oh well.
Sep 18, 2017
631 posts
872 upvotes
Vancouver
Just VPN into YouTube India and pay $3/month.

There was a big thread about this last year I believe.
[OP]
May 1, 2019
272 posts
521 upvotes
Smithers, BC
seanpeacocke wrote: This isn't working for me through the Fido app.

I click the "sign up" and when I click get YouTube premium it says my first charge will be June 14. And there is no mention of two months free.
I've never had YouTube premium before.

Any help?
If you've subscribed to premium with that account before, that may be the problem. New subs only.
Aug 21, 2016
342 posts
471 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I am not sure what all the fuss is about and I also don't understand the value presented by Youtube Premium. If it is just ad-free videos, then I feel most of you need to look into what is available out there:

For the web-version of youtube (where you go to your browser and go to youtube.com):
  • Install uBlock Origin: Chrome, Firefox
  • That will work on your local device, so you do not see ads anywhere, however you can also install pi-hole or AdGuard Home(this is also available via hass.io). This will block ads network wide, so anyone on your wifi watching videos on their browser should not see ads.
  • You can go ahead and reroute all port 53 traffic through these network wide, so nothing can get past it.
For Android:
  • Youtube apps have the DNS resolver built in, so network wide adblockers won't work without forwarding port 53, even then it won't work outside your own network. So, Install youtube vanced. This already offers all the features Youtube premium offers and is open source.
For Android TV:
  • With DNS resolver built in, the blocking is hard here too, Install Smart Youtube TV, it is adfree and works just like youtube. It's also open source.
With all of that, I have never seen a youtube ad, in the last 3-5 years. Even before youtube premium was a thing.
RFD Effect Is Real
Mar 6, 2013
260 posts
192 upvotes
Saint John, NB
I am having the same issue. Says I will be billed in one month. I have never had YouTube Premium before but I did do a free trial of Google Play Music last year so I am thinking they may be counting that so I am technically not a new subscriber.
Aug 30, 2019
816 posts
634 upvotes
Brampton
whizzzkid wrote: I am not sure what all the fuss is about and I also don't understand the value presented by Youtube Premium. If it is just ad-free videos, then I feel most of you need to look into what is available out there:

For the web-version of youtube (where you go to your browser and go to youtube.com):
  • That will work on your local device, so you do not see ads anywhere, however you can also install pi-hole or AdGuard Home(this is also available via hass.io). This will block ads network wide, so anyone on your wifi watching videos on their browser should not see ads.
  • You can go ahead and reroute all port 53 traffic through these network wide, so nothing can get past it.
For Android:
  • Youtube apps have the DNS resolver built in, so network wide adblockers won't work without forwarding port 53, even then it won't work outside your own network. So, Install youtube vanced. This already offers all the features Youtube premium offers and is open source.
For Android TV:
  • With DNS resolver built in, the blocking is hard here too, Install Smart Youtube TV, it is adfree and works just like youtube. It's also open source.
With all of that, I have never seen a youtube ad, in the last 3-5 years. Even before youtube premium was a thing.
Pihole does not block youtube ads which starts before the video. It will block the ads which are presented in pop-ups or boxes on the webpage.
Aug 21, 2016
342 posts
471 upvotes
Calgary, AB
brampton90 wrote: Pihole does not block youtube ads which starts before the video. It will block the ads which are presented in pop-ups or boxes on the webpage.
PiHole will block ads if you have all the necessary blocklists, it will not block ads on youtube apps (i.e. on Android, iOS, TV) unless you force all traffic on port 53 through piHole.
RFD Effect Is Real
Apr 2, 2009
174 posts
73 upvotes
Vancouver
whizzzkid wrote: I am not sure what all the fuss is about and I also don't understand the value presented by Youtube Premium. If it is just ad-free videos, then I feel most of you need to look into what is available out there:

For Android:
For Android TV:
Adguard does an excellent job of removing all Youtube ads when viewed through web browser
Sep 20, 2016
30 posts
28 upvotes
I don't know. .. Sometimes it's good to pay for what you use... mostly when it is inexpensive to do so. It also gives back money to YT creators.
To a pirate, there is no value in anything: not in Steam Sales, not in Google Movies, not in software or anything that can be downloaded/bypassed illegally. So, it is normal if you don't understand what the fuss is about in sales of digital things. I think some people might enjoy your ad bypass informative post, and other will enjoy sales/rebates of legal/legit digital service/software.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2017
1250 posts
567 upvotes
I think you can cancel Indian VPN, use this for two month and go back to Indian VPN option if you really want to save money.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2017
1250 posts
567 upvotes
Has anyone tried to cancel Indian VPN subscription and to get this offer free for two months and then after use Indian VPN to sign up again
Sep 2, 2014
59 posts
31 upvotes
Brampton, ON
On the YouTube Premium site it's showing....."Get 3 months on us • Then CA$11.99/month"
Fido: $5/4GB+tablet
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1282 posts
368 upvotes
Toronto
FWIW, I found that when I use Chromecast and cast YouTube from phone/tablet to TV then I don't see any ads. (This is with stock app, no ad blockers or YouTube Vanced or anything ...)
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1282 posts
368 upvotes
Toronto
CRDave2014 wrote: On the YouTube Premium site it's showing....."Get 3 months on us • Then CA$11.99/month"
Lucky you, that is probably a targeted Google offer for your specific account. (Normal offer for every new account is 1 month free trial.)
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Sep 2, 2014
59 posts
31 upvotes
Brampton, ON
ssiu wrote: Lucky you, that is probably a targeted Google offer for your specific account. (Normal offer for every new account is 1 month free trial.)
Actually I wasn't lucky. Google "YouTube Premium" and you can get it as well.
Fido: $5/4GB+tablet
Jul 31, 2007
48 posts
9 upvotes
Scarborough
kaiseki wrote: Just VPN into YouTube India and pay $3/month.

There was a big thread about this last year I believe.
I'm using this heck and works flawlessly. You only need to VPN when you sign up, no VPN required afterwards. Rs. 189 (CA$ 3.50) for family membership. You also get YouTube Music. I believe you need Indian bank issued credit / debit card.
Sep 18, 2017
631 posts
872 upvotes
Vancouver
indianguy wrote: I'm using this heck and works flawlessly. You only need to VPN when you sign up, no VPN required afterwards. Rs. 189 (CA$ 3.50) for family membership. You also get YouTube Music. I believe you need Indian bank issued credit / debit card.
You don't. Everyone from that thread last year did it with their regular Canadian credit cards.
Jul 7, 2007
237 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
yes you can. I got it and only with Fido for home internet.