Expired Hot Deals

[Fido] YMMV $15 Data only plan turned free for 24months. offered through retention dept.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2020 11:57 am
[OP]
Nov 24, 2013
123 posts
52 upvotes
Burnaby

[Fido] YMMV $15 Data only plan turned free for 24months. offered through retention dept.

I was offered 2 years free service when calling in to cancel my fido data only plan $15. YMMV. I signed up for this data only plan back when it was 1Gig for $X but then it got raised to $15 and 3 gigs a few years back. I told them i was cancelling due to moving to public mobile with their phone+data plans.

It's not 100% clear that the discount applies to the addon but rep put me on hold and confirmed it would. I'll find out next month if i did get the deal.
Images
  • Screenshot_2020-01-30 Fido account change confirmation-1 pdf.png
35 replies
Apr 10, 2009
590 posts
262 upvotes
markham
digitalpixies wrote: I was offered 2 years free service when calling in to cancel my fido data only plan $15. YMMV. I signed up for this data only plan back when it was 1Gig for $X but then it got raised to $15 and 3 gigs a few years back. I told them i was cancelling due to moving to public mobile with their phone+data plans.

It's not 100% clear that the discount applies to the addon but rep put me on hold and confirmed it would. I'll find out next month if i did get the deal.
is this the first time you got the 24month free promotion? or you had been on the free 24month before this thanks !
Never Trade What You Want Most ,For What You Want In The Moment
[OP]
Nov 24, 2013
123 posts
52 upvotes
Burnaby
darkanson wrote: is this the first time you got the 24month free promotion? or you had been on the free 24month before this thanks !
well I've been a fido customer on and off back before when they were microcell but i think this is purely based off of my history with them with their "data only plan". this thread refrences the deal i went on but i vaguely recall it was way before 2016 <shrug> fido-fido-mobile-internet-flex-data-pla ... n-2037284/

TLDR, yeah i was never offered retention before and had plan more than 24 months.
Apr 10, 2009
590 posts
262 upvotes
markham
digitalpixies wrote: well I've been a fido customer on and off back before when they were microcell but i think this is purely based off of my history with them with their "data only plan". this thread refrences the deal i went on but i vaguely recall it was way before 2016 <shrug> fido-fido-mobile-internet-flex-data-pla ... n-2037284/

TLDR, yeah i was never offered retention before and had plan more than 24 months.
now we know they still have 100% off on this data only plan . my 100% off is ending in march ,so i might try to see and call if they can do this as well.! thanks
Never Trade What You Want Most ,For What You Want In The Moment
Dec 18, 2007
179 posts
36 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Did you call or online chat?
Dec 23, 2015
922 posts
1107 upvotes
What is it that Fido gets from giving free data plans? During the holiday season they were giving away free tablets along with free data plans. Not what I would consider a profitable business model ... unless ....?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
8884 posts
4096 upvotes
Markham
6060842 wrote: What is it that Fido gets from giving free data plans? During the holiday season they were giving away free tablets along with free data plans. Not what I would consider a profitable business model ... unless ....?
Called defense... It means your competition doesn't get any revenue.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Aug 30, 2016
30 posts
9 upvotes
Do you need to have a phone plan with them to get the free/discounted data? I got the data plan then ported out my phone
Apr 30, 2009
684 posts
477 upvotes
GTA
6060842 wrote: What is it that Fido gets from giving free data plans? During the holiday season they were giving away free tablets along with free data plans. Not what I would consider a profitable business model ... unless ....?
Higher subscriber numbers and more subscriber growth. Somebody was getting a reward for hitting certain subscriber numbers.
Doesn't help revenue though, so don't want to do it too much, for anything very expensive or anything that appears to cause (enough) people to switch from normal cell plans.
Notice how it was done just before year end, and how the tablet plan isn't as good now as it was a month ago?

Here's what they announced for Q4 results for wireless.
TORONTO (January 22, 2020) - Rogers Communications Inc. today announced its unaudited financial and operating
results for the fourth quarter ended December 31, 2019.
Strong Wireless loading and accelerated adoption of Rogers Infinite™ unlimited data plans
• Added 131,000 postpaid nets, up 17% from 2018
• Grew Wireless adjusted EBITDA by 4%, revenue up 1%
• Increased Rogers Infinite subscriber base by 40% sequentially to 1.4 million
• Increased average data usage by over 65% for Rogers Infinite customers
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
2714 posts
1047 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't this old news? Except that others got a free tablet also.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18424 posts
11066 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
beachlover wrote: Isn't this old news? Except that others got a free tablet also.
It is. FWIW I'm on my second "free" tablet and second "loyalty" discount. (I don't have any voice plan with Fido.)

There are several threads about this going back several years. It's worth reading the OPs, Thread Summaries and last few pages of each for current info.

The data plan has varied over time and continues to be YMMV. For example until a month ago you could get 4GB for $10. Now it's 2GB for $15. Wait a couple of months and/or call them again and the deal will be different.

[Fido] 2GB LTE Data Plan $15, BYOD, no contract (Read OP & Thread Summary 1st)

[Fido] [Fido XTRA] Get a $0 tablet on a FREE 2-year tablet plan (targeted) (Read Thread Summary) Expires 12/31

And for those who want to "have it all" on this SIM, i.e. data, texting and voice calling, there's Fido LTE Data Plan (Tech Discussion)
veni, vidi, Visa