Tags:
[OP]
Sep 30, 2010
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Fieldgate home complaints?

Hi,

any one knows where to file a formal complaint against builder fieldgate? Fieldgate offers 120 days form to its buyers, and this form is not an tarion form. So, at this moment, If I want to go arbitration with Tarion, I will need to wait to file on 1 year form. What makes me really angry is Fieldgate attitude. I feel I am being bullied, disrespected and threatened. And I believe they are all connected. I mean, fieldgate staff seems all family members to each other. Not sure where I can file my complaint.

any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1518 posts
1236 upvotes
Hamilton
Have you contacted Tarion to explain your problems and see what they suggest for remediation ??
[OP]
Sep 30, 2010
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
The issue is the ceiling is uneven around the chimney area and then I couldn’t install the chimney properly and it leaves a gap. The builder said I damaged the ceiling when I installed the chimney. How could I touch the ceiling when I installed? What makes me angry is their attitude. They don’t listen and they make the rules. She said: if you continue arguing, I won’t resolve any issues for your home.
Last edited by qiqibaba on Jun 27th, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2010
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
luckystrike1 wrote: Have you contacted Tarion to explain your problems and see what they suggest for remediation ??
Yes I called Tarion and explained. I will have to wait for a year to file that item on one year form and go arbitration from there. Tarion really doesn’t care about the builders attitude.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
528 upvotes
Download the Construction Performance Guidelines from the Tarion site. Look through that, you'll see what is and isn't covered by the warranty.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19760 posts
23185 upvotes
GTA
Most builders are out to screw you and do as cheap a job as possible, sorry you've learned that the hard way. Hopefully you documented (photos) the issue before you installed the chimney.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
17336 posts
15212 upvotes
GTA, ON
qiqibaba wrote: The issue is the ceiling is uneven around the chimney area and then I couldn’t install the chimney properly and it leaves a gap. The builder said I damaged the ceiling when I installed the chimney. How could I touch the ceiling when I installed? What makes me angry is their attitude. They don’t listen and they make the rules. She said: if you continue arguing, I won’t resolve any issues for your home.
Uneven ceiling has nothing to do with what you did but has to do with either bad drywallers or bad framers (can't install even drywall with bad framing)
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10426 posts
11110 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Fieldgate home and I'll tell you that it is true they are all family. It goes down the management into the design team. Everyone's family of another, when I make complaints, the person I complained to is actually the uncle of the person I am complaining about. It's really weird.

Having said that, the 120 day form is arbitrary, and you don't really have to do it. I also happen to have that area where the chimney touches the ceiling to be uneven, and when I complained, they told me it's not warrantable. So I let it slide and fixed it myself. It was off by half an inch or so.

I can tell you that they won't really fix anything that you cannot readily see and identify. I am not even sure this is something you can complain to Tarion about.

I know this doesn't really help your cause, but to fix something like that... you really need them to want to fix it instead of forcing it.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2010
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: I have a Fieldgate home and I'll tell you that it is true they are all family. It goes down the management into the design team. Everyone's family of another, when I make complaints, the person I complained to is actually the uncle of the person I am complaining about. It's really weird.

Having said that, the 120 day form is arbitrary, and you don't really have to do it. I also happen to have that area where the chimney touches the ceiling to be uneven, and when I complained, they told me it's not warrantable. So I let it slide and fixed it myself. It was off by half an inch or so.

I can tell you that they won't really fix anything that you cannot readily see and identify. I am not even sure this is something you can complain to Tarion about.

I know this doesn't really help your cause, but to fix something like that... you really need them to want to fix it instead of forcing it.
Thank you. Finally, someone can feel my pain. Yes, they are family. I want to complain about a staff in warranty service department. I was told to file complaint to her boss. And I figured out later by myself that the boss is actually her husband. WTF, what's the point to ask me to complain to the husband about his wife? How can a husband be the wife's boss?

I have emailed to the husband's boss. But they didn't reply to me. Now I am trying very hard to find out who is the big boss.

All I can say is stay away from Fieldgate, worst quality and worst service.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10426 posts
11110 upvotes
Toronto
qiqibaba wrote: Thank you. Finally, someone can feel my pain. Yes, they are family. I want to complain about a staff in warranty service department. I was told to file complaint to her boss. And I figured out later by myself that the boss is actually her husband. WTF, what's the point to ask me to complain to the husband about his wife? How can a husband be the wife's boss?

I have emailed to the husband's boss. But they didn't reply to me. Now I am trying very hard to find out who is the big boss.

Let me save you some time. I also complained up the ladder, all the way up the chain into Fieldgate offices. No one gives a crap. No replies whatsoever. At the end, the only way to have any results were to ask the sales team at the sales office for some help and they did. The end result was giving me a $500 coupon. I figure that was better than nothing and just settled. There's no point complaining when the further up the chain you went, the more family you encounter.

Sorry mate, that's just how they are.
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
383 upvotes
Markham, ON
qiqibaba wrote: Thank you. Finally, someone can feel my pain. Yes, they are family. I want to complain about a staff in warranty service department. I was told to file complaint to her boss. And I figured out later by myself that the boss is actually her husband. WTF, what's the point to ask me to complain to the husband about his wife? How can a husband be the wife's boss?

Yea what a bigoted patriarchy misogynistic company! THE WIFE SHOULD BE THE BOSS!

in seriousness, try not yelling when you make a complaint. You are giving them more reason to ignore you.
Calm, polite, and PERSISTENT complaint works the best. (Calling once every 2-3 days work great. Calling 5 times a day simply makes it a harassment and doesn't give them time to do anything)
[OP]
Sep 30, 2010
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: Let me save you some time. I also complained up the ladder, all the way up the chain into Fieldgate offices. No one gives a crap. No replies whatsoever. At the end, the only way to have any results were to ask the sales team at the sales office for some help and they did. The end result was giving me a $500 coupon. I figure that was better than nothing and just settled. There's no point complaining when the further up the chain you went, the more family you encounter.

Sorry mate, that's just how they are.
Thank you for your information. I appreciated. That lady must have known I complained about her. Do you think she will totally ignore my 120 days form as a revenge? I should have waited till they fix all other stuff first.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
28753 posts
9354 upvotes
Hamilton
TariOn is garbage. Useless
hated on but respected.