• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2020 9:06 am
[OP]
May 4, 2020
85 posts
15 upvotes

filed income tax april 28 - RCA saying they did not get it

Hi
I mailed my income tax return on April 28 (Canada Post and have the receipt). Today I checked my profile online at Revenue Canada and it is showing that it has not been received yet. I know because of Covid they are a bit late but is that normal or I should be worry it might got lost? Thank you very much.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5059 posts
2686 upvotes
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi
I mailed my income tax return on April 28 (Canada Post and have the receipt). Today I checked my profile online at Revenue Canada and it is showing that it has not been received yet. I know because of Covid they are a bit late but is that normal or I should be worry it might got lost? Thank you very much.
Is your package trackable? even if they received it, I think someone must open and assess the return. Why didn't you do Netfile. I just Netfiled my tax return yesterday and today, CRA said it's assessed and I will get my refunds June 1 (next Monday) very quick and painless
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3042 posts
1648 upvotes
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi
why not download free tax software studiotax to try it out. if the result is the same as your paper returns, then send it online. It takes at least 2 months at normal time(i.e. non pandemic) when filing by paper. if the CPA is correct in the following site, then CRA is not processing paper returns until they are back in office:
https://www.marcil-lavallee.ca/en/resou ... tax-relief
[OP]
May 4, 2020
85 posts
15 upvotes
Thank you very much all for your reply. I did not know there are free software to file. I filled the forum (they mail it to me). I sent it by regular mail. No tracking. 3-2 years ago, it got lost. I am afraid the same thing this year. I know you suggested 2 software. Do you know one is really easy to use and free if possible. Thank you once agaim
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1533 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lwlwlwlw wrote: Thank you very much all for your reply. I did not know there are free software to file. I filled the forum (they mail it to me). I sent it by regular mail. No tracking. 3-2 years ago, it got lost. I am afraid the same thing this year. I know you suggested 2 software. Do you know one is really easy to use and free if possible. Thank you once agaim
Simpletax is simple. But if you know how to file your taxes on paper, StudioTax will be really familiar.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1321 posts
1464 upvotes
BC
Also since you've already have a My Account with CRA, using the Autofill option with the tax software makes it really fast and easy.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3042 posts
1648 upvotes
lwlwlwlw wrote: Thank you very much all for your reply. I did not know there are free software to file. I filled the forum (they mail it to me). I sent it by regular mail. No tracking. 3-2 years ago, it got lost. I am afraid the same thing this year. I know you suggested 2 software. Do you know one is really easy to use and free if possible. Thank you once agaim
Complete list of CRA approved softwares: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... ogram.html
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4914 posts
759 upvotes
Calgary
To Op I mailed mine mid April and it just showed up as "received" by CRA a week or so back. So be patient.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3297 posts
593 upvotes
OP - if you mail your return ALWAYS send it by registered mail so that you are able to track it. Never send anything important by regular mail.

Yes, it will cost you to send your return by registered mail, but on the other hand, you wouldn't now be as worried. We were able to track ours and they were received.

Note that if you have to send more than 1 return, that each return must be sent separately.

It may show up yet, so as the other poster pointed out, be patient, but let common sense be your guide as to how long to wait before you have to re-submit. Perhaps ask the CRA and I know that it is not easy to get anyone to answer the phone.

The CRA sent you the tax forms because that is how you filed last year. They will also send you forms for year 2020.