Filing Taxes in USA and then Canada vs filing them together

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2018 9:59 am
[OP]
May 24, 2013
743 posts
174 upvotes

Filing Taxes in USA and then Canada vs filing them together

My employer (USA) is offering to do my US-taxes for me (I live in Canada therefore owe taxes to Canada as well).

Is there any disadvantage to letting this company file my taxes for me, and me dealing with the Canadian portion? Or is it best to go to an accountant and file them together?
3 replies
Jan 23, 2009
748 posts
883 upvotes
Ontario
theBasher91 wrote: My employer (USA) is offering to do my US-taxes for me (I live in Canada therefore owe taxes to Canada as well).

Is there any disadvantage to letting this company file my taxes for me, and me dealing with the Canadian portion? Or is it best to go to an accountant and file them together?

Make no different but must for your benefit do the USA tax first and then CAD. Claim the Provincial and Federal Foreign Tax Credit, also note that you must do "U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return 1040NR" + state and city return in the USA if your Visa type "TN Visa" or "J1 Visa"
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1464 posts
1123 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
agit wrote: Make no different but must for your benefit do the USA tax first and then CAD. Claim the Provincial and Federal Foreign Tax Credit, also note that you must do "U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return 1040NR" + state and city return in the USA if your Visa type "TN Visa" or "J1 Visa"
Can use 1040NR-EZ if it’s just employment income