Home & Garden

Filling space between driveway and garage slab?

• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2020 11:02 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18776 posts
2416 upvotes
Out west

Filling space between driveway and garage slab?

Nothing major, and nothing is wrong. But can a person fill up the space between your driveway concrete and the garage slab. Mine is always getting filled with leaves and random debris. Always have to pull dead leaves, grass and anything else from there just from the wind, etc

Can a person fill that hole with something like polemetric sand to just "top it off" so its even with the top and nothing falls into it.

or will that cause issues with drainage, shifting, etc and that space is needed there for some kind of expansion??
25 replies
Oct 24, 2016
961 posts
815 upvotes
ON
How wide is the gap? There’s a limit to the width where polymeric sand would be effective. I’m guessing the width is quite substantial if random debris can fall into it and so polymeric sand will not last there. I have almost negligible gap between my concrete driveway and garage as its filled up with..... (can’t recall the proper name)..... a sheet of foam. In any case you need to have some space there as the concrete moves.

Edit: it’s backer rod foam
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18776 posts
2416 upvotes
Out west
Holystone wrote: How wide is the gap? There’s a limit to the width where polymeric sand would be effective. I’m guessing the width is quite substantial if random debris can fall into it and so polymeric sand will not last there. I have almost negligible gap between my concrete driveway and garage as its filled up with..... (can’t recall the proper name)..... a sheet of foam. In any case you need to have some space there as the concrete moves.

Edit: it’s backer rod foam

Crack is a half inch, and completely even for both door. Probably the width the form they used for it to set

Gues backer rod foam would work, be like a friction fit. Im sure random dirt and debris has been falling in there for 12 years. I take a long screwdriver and move stuff around in there once in awhile, to just loosen it up and get rid of leaves, grass and misc small pieces of garbage that seem to blow in there
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18776 posts
2416 upvotes
Out west
But this isn't a crack or anything from settling or concrete missing. This is just the space where the form was and then removed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9617 posts
5015 upvotes
Paris
I used a driveway asphalt caulk to do mine 13 years ago. Worked fine.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18776 posts
2416 upvotes
Out west
Jerico wrote: I used a driveway asphalt caulk to do mine 13 years ago. Worked fine.
Backer rod to fill the space, some of it goes down quite a bit. Or maybe sand to fill the space than that caulk on top
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4985 posts
2396 upvotes
Ottawa
I haven't been happy with any products I've tried for this. Our gap is maybe .25 to .5 cm wide. I've tried asphalt caulk and found that it needs to be refreshed every couple of years. My only concern for this gap is that snow melts of the vehicles in the winter, runs out the garage and drips into that gap - and I doubt that's much good for the asphalt there. I have bigger problems to address so this hasn't gotten much attention tbh. Will lurk here if somebody has a brighter idea than anything I've tried.

FWIW, I've used polymeric sand to fill gaps in other places and it works relatively well Again, it is relatively short-lived if it gets wet too often.
May 28, 2007
397 posts
131 upvotes
Peterborough
I used some heat melt tar. It comes in lengths like rope. Partial fill with sand then squeeze the tar rope in and take a torch to it. I also had some larger gaps in my driveway so I used the tar block you can get at lowes. Melted it in an old pot on a propane burner and poured into cracks. Did this last fall and had no issues with frost this year. It's the stuff they use on highways.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12330 posts
3571 upvotes
GTA
WikkiWikki wrote: But this isn't a crack or anything from settling or concrete missing. This is just the space where the form was and then removed.
Take a pic.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18776 posts
2416 upvotes
Out west
CaptSmethwick wrote: I haven't been happy with any products I've tried for this. Our gap is maybe .25 to .5 cm wide. I've tried asphalt caulk and found that it needs to be refreshed every couple of years. My only concern for this gap is that snow melts of the vehicles in the winter, runs out the garage and drips into that gap - and I doubt that's much good for the asphalt there. I have bigger problems to address so this hasn't gotten much attention tbh. Will lurk here if somebody has a brighter idea than anything I've tried.

FWIW, I've used polymeric sand to fill gaps in other places and it works relatively well Again, it is relatively short-lived if it gets wet too often.
I have no water from the garage that gets into it, I have a floor drain and a slop so it all goes in the drain. But any rain and snow gets in there. There doesn't seem to be any issues so far, but Id prefer to fix it before something goes happen.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18776 posts
2416 upvotes
Out west
Curioprop wrote: I used some heat melt tar. It comes in lengths like rope. Partial fill with sand then squeeze the tar rope in and take a torch to it. I also had some larger gaps in my driveway so I used the tar block you can get at lowes. Melted it in an old pot on a propane burner and poured into cracks. Did this last fall and had no issues with frost this year. It's the stuff they use on highways.
Would that be this stuff?

https://www.lowes.ca/product/asphalt-pa ... lsrc=aw.ds

Only torch I have is a small butane torch. Wonder if filling the area level with sand and tamp it best as I can, then add this and melt would be the answer
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
12330 posts
3571 upvotes
GTA
WikkiWikki wrote: Would that be this stuff?

Only torch I have is a small butane torch. Wonder if filling the area level with sand and tamp it best as I can, then add this and melt would be the answer
Would work but you'd only be able to heat up very small pieces at a time. This would take ages and you'd need a few cans of gas.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 28, 2007
397 posts
131 upvotes
Peterborough
WikkiWikki wrote: Would that be this stuff?

Yes I used that for bigger files. Put in freezer before trying to cut chunks of it. An axe worked. I had an old pot with a wood handle and used a large propane burner. It is almost the consistency of water when heated.

Pli stix works for small cracks. You pack the crack then melt with small torch. I bought some online. I have seen it at HD as well.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18776 posts
2416 upvotes
Out west
Curioprop wrote: Yes I used that for bigger files. Put in freezer before trying to cut chunks of it. An axe worked. I had an old pot with a wood handle and used a large propane burner. It is almost the consistency of water when heated.

Pli stix works for small cracks. You pack the crack then melt with small torch. I bought some online. I have seen it at HD as well.
I assume this stuff. My space is .5" wide I need to fill
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2820 posts
548 upvotes
Ancaster
WikkiWikki wrote: Crack is a half inch, and completely even for both door. Probably the width the form they used for it to set

Gues backer rod foam would work, be like a friction fit. Im sure random dirt and debris has been falling in there for 12 years. I take a long screwdriver and move stuff around in there once in awhile, to just loosen it up and get rid of leaves, grass and misc small pieces of garbage that seem to blow in there
I've got a gap between my interlock and my garage pad and use the backer rod with good success. I used to use the polymeric sand but found the freeze/thaw during winter always caused the polymeric sand to lift and fall out of the crack. I think I used the 3/8 or 5/8 backer rod. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes or Rona.

https://www.homedepot.ca/search?q=backe ... cker%20rod

Here is how mine looks with the backer rod.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18776 posts
2416 upvotes
Out west
nielboy wrote: I've got a gap between my interlock and my garage pad and use the backer rod with good success. I used to use the polymeric sand but found the freeze/thaw during winter always caused the polymeric sand to lift and fall out of the crack. I think I used the 3/8 or 5/8 backer rod. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes or Rona.

Thanks. looks like my area, except I have poured concrete.

Im sure I can shove the backer rod in like that.. But my main concern is the deep space that goes down, should that ve filled as well. Right now its just random dirt and road debris from tires in there. Should that be topped up with anything at all, or is that space there for expansion?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18776 posts
2416 upvotes
Out west
nielboy wrote: I've got a gap between my interlock and my garage pad and use the backer rod with good success. I used to use the polymeric sand but found the freeze/thaw during winter always caused the polymeric sand to lift and fall out of the crack. I think I used the 3/8 or 5/8 backer rod. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes or Rona.

Thanks. looks like my area, except I have poured concrete.

Im sure I can shove the backer rod in like that.. But my main concern is the deep space that goes down, should that ve filled as well. Right now its just random dirt and road debris from tires in there. Should that be topped up with anything at all, or is that space there for expansion?