Travel

Finally found a cheap spinner carry-on

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2020 1:57 am
Jul 10, 2002
500 posts
234 upvotes

Finally found a cheap spinner carry-on

I had been looking for an affordable spinner carry-on for quite a while. All those that I found were always too big for Canadian airlines (usually too tall).

I found a Swissgear 21" spinner for $49 in store at Costco. It’s truly 21" high (21x13.5x9), so allowed by Air Canada, WestJet, Delta, United, American Airlines, Lufthansa, Air France, etc.

It also comes with three packing cubes (which would sell for $15 alone). It’s made of ABS, but comes with a 10-year warranty. Perfect for the occasional traveler like me (1-2 times a year).

https://www.costco.ca/swiss-gear-energi ... 28844.html
6 replies
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Those warranties ain't worth much.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2631 upvotes
GTA West
kag wrote: I had been looking for an affordable spinner carry-on for quite a while. All those that I found were always too big for Canadian airlines (usually too tall).

I found a Swissgear 21" spinner for $49 in store at Costco. It’s truly 21" high (21x13.5x9), so allowed by Air Canada, WestJet, Delta, United, American Airlines, Lufthansa, Air France, etc.

It also comes with three packing cubes (which would sell for $15 alone). It’s made of ABS, but comes with a 10-year warranty. Perfect for the occasional traveler like me (1-2 times a year).

https://www.costco.ca/swiss-gear-energi ... 28844.html
I got one when it came to Costco recently and I already had an identical one I bought at Winners for $89 a few years ago. I think if you include the handle it may be an inch or so too big for some airlines. But we have had no problems with the half dozen or so airlines we have used them on. We used to carry very small under-size cases to avoid any carry-on problems, but find there is really no point. If an anal gate agent does make us check them one day it will be a very small penalty for having a bit of extra packing space on our trips.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thriftshopper wrote: Those warranties ain't worth much.
You mean worth nothing at all... The only two redeeming things are:

1. it's a carry-on so it's not subject to many of the issues of checked luggage - ie not handled roughly as they are literally thrown on and off planes.
2. It's purchased from Costco so as long as Costco is still willing to cover it, it will still be covered.

But, in general, most luggage warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on as the company will say that it's wear and tear and they don't cover wear and tear.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
Hmm while i get a standard carryon cheap made in China for $18 cash

Thats rfd style. Fits everywhere (mind you we travel far back home) so they always fit in a B777 or A330/320 or B787 etc.

Try flying european airlines rather than aircanada to overseas (non-usa).
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
craftsman wrote: You mean worth nothing at all... The only two redeeming things are:
1. it's a carry-on so it's not subject to many of the issues of checked luggage - ie not handled roughly as they are literally thrown on and off planes.
2. It's purchased from Costco so as long as Costco is still willing to cover it, it will still be covered.
But, in general, most luggage warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on as the company will say that it's wear and tear and they don't cover wear and tear.
Not speaking for every luggage manufacturer out there but the one time I had to make a warranty claim with Heys it was hassle free and was given a brand new case to replace the one that broke. They didn't try to dismiss it as "wear and tear" or blame the airline. I posted about it here:

recommendations-carry-checked-luggage-2 ... #p30066694

EDITED TO ADD: The most important thing you need to do is keep the warranty tag that came with the luggage, AND the original store receipt. I had both of these when I made my Heys claim.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Feb 24th, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jackrabbit000 wrote: You can check Bentley's also. They're closing 90 stores and yesterday at WEM, they had everything on sale from 30-40% off.
30 to 40% off luggage isn't anything to be excited about. Most stores will typically have at least 50% off luggage if not more especially on these lower end pieces.