Finally a small phone alternative for android with decent specs

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2021 7:14 am
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1800 posts
374 upvotes

Finally a small phone alternative for android with decent specs

Anyone excited for the zenphone 8 that was just announced?

It's not perfect but at least it's something. I hate the trend towards big phones. I have tried a bunch of different phones and nothing beats using it one-handed like something from 5-5"-6".

Currently on the pixel 4 from samsung s10 and if its not one thing its the other. S10 sucks with samsung software. pixel sucks with battery life.
Zoomer wireless $36/month: 5GB data + 800 minutes
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
Saw this phone on ShortCircuit

This phone makes my hands look BIG! - ASUS Zenfone 8

Published on 12 May 2021

The ASUS Zenfone line has been out for a while, but recently it's getting incrementally better and better. The ASUS Zenfone 8 is a bit interesting as it's priced well, has some of the top features/specs, but it doesn't follow other brands in making it compact. Also, it makes Linus hands feel big for a change.
Destiny is all
Nov 15, 2017
846 posts
643 upvotes
How good is Asus when it comes to software updates? Samsung and Pixels lines are all pushing 3 or 4 years of consistent updates.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
6084 posts
1868 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
syntex101 wrote: Anyone excited for the zenphone 8 that was just announced?

It's not perfect but at least it's something. I hate the trend towards big phones. I have tried a bunch of different phones and nothing beats using it one-handed like something from 5-5"-6".

Currently on the pixel 4 from samsung s10 and if its not one thing its the other. S10 sucks with samsung software. pixel sucks with battery life.
Not me I’m a fans of big screen phone 6.5 and up.
FreedomMobile 35% Friends & Family
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2988 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
Honestly, they haven't really done a lot to impress since the Zenfone 6 debacle. While they said it would come to Canada when it was announced in March 2019, it took a good 6 months to finally appear. Their update schedule has been fairly lackluster (definitely not monthly updates from what I've heard). Considering they're also using the same camera sensor from the Zenfone 7 and their image processing is leagues behind Samsung & Google, it's not that great.

I don't know how many people here bought the Zenfone 7, but I'll be shocked if the 8 ends up being a good seller. The form factor is nice and the battery should be decent (UNLIKE the iPhone 12 Mini), but that might be all the positives I can take away from this one.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3991 posts
1127 upvotes
Toronto
interesting. hopefully they will have a mid-ranger variant with a SD7XX soc with better battery life (personally dont need the performance for SD888)
Nov 15, 2017
846 posts
643 upvotes
Mehhh no wireless charging and telephoto lens. On the flip side, this wouldn't be as expensive as an Xperia 5 III.
Sep 22, 2019
243 posts
367 upvotes
Where would one buy this? I see it listed on Best Buy marketplace, mi4canada, and Swiftronics, but I don't know anybody who's used those places, especially for a 1000+ purchase.
Apr 23, 2020
187 posts
1725 upvotes
Devhux wrote: Considering they're also using the same camera sensor from the Zenfone 7 and their image processing is leagues behind Samsung & Google, it's not that great.
Yes, that is the general line I've seen/heard in many Zenfone reviews, yet quite often it seems they're dismissing it based on reputation and expectations. In this blind elimination showdown of photos from sixteen 2020 phones, the Zenfone 7 ended up on top in a field that included the Pixel 5, Note20 Ultra and iPhone 12 Pro Max. Hardly scientific, but it was based on over 10 million Twitter and Instagram votes. It certainly improved my opinion of Zenfone cameras.

May 16, 2018
209 posts
55 upvotes
Definitely interested in this. Does anyone have it? Can't seem to find it at local stores.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)