Personal Finance

Financial Debt Recovery Ltd. (FDR) Posing As Ministry of Transport in Collaboration with Equifax, Canada.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2019 8:45 pm
[OP]
Mar 8, 2018
1 posts

Financial Debt Recovery Ltd. (FDR) Posing As Ministry of Transport in Collaboration with Equifax, Canada.

Recently I started getting calls from an outfit called Financial Debt Recovery Ltd. (FDR for short) in Richmond Hill, Ontario.
The person leaving numerous voicemails which I have saved for a rainy day, claims that they represent the "Government of Ontario, Ministry of Transport", and that it is "critical" for me to call them back for a "personal matter".
So I called the Ministry information desk to see if this outfit is affiliated with them, but they said they had no records of such company.
Anyway seeing that they kept leaving me a daily voicemail or three, I decided to call them back and the person on the other side immediately asked me for my birthday and my address "before" she could tell me what on earth it was all about.
After a lot of back and forth I finally gave in and provided my DoB and address and in return she claimed that I owed the Ontario Ministry of Transport a sum of $140 from 1998 (!).
So i asked that now they have my address, they send me their documents that show why I owe this money and over what transaction, however the rep on the phone said that "they do not send this information out in the mail" :-)
At this point I realized I am dealing with a scam and cut the phone, followed by blocking their number....but the saga didn't end there.
A few weeks later I applied for a mortgage but my mortgage broker called and told me that there is a "Collection" showing in my EQUIFAX report , and that I owe $140 to a collection company called FDR...I know, surprise surprise, ha?:-)
So I called Equifax and they told me that I must download their "dispute form" and fill it out and "fax" it to them with a piece of ID, which I did immediately,asking them to kindly remove this collection item as it clearly doesn't belong to me.
That was over 3 months ago and I never heard back from Equifax, while voicemails from this annoying scam outfit kept coming every day ( you can block their numbers but they can still get to the voicemail somehow).
Today I checked my Equifax report and the collection by FDR is still sitting in my file.
So I called Equifax again and this time they said they "never recieved my fax request" and that I should send another fax request, which I did.

Meanwhile seeing that this Orwellian nightmare of bureaucracy and scam artists working with Equifax amounts to nothing more than extortion, I thought I'd share my story so others are we aware of the risks involved with giving their DoB and address to someone they do not know, over the phone.
22 replies
Sep 18, 2013
20 posts
2 upvotes
HAVELOCK
Romand wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 7:42 pm
Recently I started getting calls from an outfit called Financial Debt Recovery Ltd. (FDR for short) in Richmond Hill, Ontario.
The person leaving numerous voicemails which I have saved for a rainy day, claims that they represent the "Government of Ontario, Ministry of Transport", and that it is "critical" for me to call them back for a "personal matter".
So I called the Ministry information desk to see if this outfit is affiliated with them, but they said they had no records of such company.
Anyway seeing that they kept leaving me a daily voicemail or three, I decided to call them back and the person on the other side immediately asked me for my birthday and my address "before" she could tell me what on earth it was all about.
After a lot of back and forth I finally gave in and provided my DoB and address and in return she claimed that I owed the Ontario Ministry of Transport a sum of $140 from 1998 (!).
So i asked that now they have my address, they send me their documents that show why I owe this money and over what transaction, however the rep on the phone said that "they do not send this information out in the mail" :-)
At this point I realized I am dealing with a scam and cut the phone, followed by blocking their number....but the saga didn't end there.
A few weeks later I applied for a mortgage but my mortgage broker called and told me that there is a "Collection" showing in my EQUIFAX report , and that I owe $140 to a collection company called FDR...I know, surprise surprise, ha?:-)
So I called Equifax and they told me that I must download their "dispute form" and fill it out and "fax" it to them with a piece of ID, which I did immediately,asking them to kindly remove this collection item as it clearly doesn't belong to me.
That was over 3 months ago and I never heard back from Equifax, while voicemails from this annoying scam outfit kept coming every day ( you can block their numbers but they can still get to the voicemail somehow).
Today I checked my Equifax report and the collection by FDR is still sitting in my file.
So I called Equifax again and this time they said they "never recieved my fax request" and that I should send another fax request, which I did.

Meanwhile seeing that this Orwellian nightmare of bureaucracy and scam artists working with Equifax amounts to nothing more than extortion, I thought I'd share my story so others are we aware of the risks involved with giving their DoB and address to someone they do not know, over the phone.
The exact same thing for exactly the same amount of money is currently happening to us, after some research I have found it is actually happening to hundreds if not thousands of Canadians, Equifax and Transunion are a joke, most people just end up paying the $150 ransom on their credit rating as opposed to fighting a futile battle that will get you nowhere!
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
1580 posts
1078 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Why would anyone owe money to the Ministry of Transport in the first place? What a scummy company.
I like credit unions. Proud DUCA member.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
5190 posts
4251 upvotes
We’re all a little s…
It’s not a scam.
FDR is a collection agency that purchased, or was hired to collect a debt that YOU owe, and they can chase you til the end of time to collect it if they want.
And since it’s a government debt you owe, they can put it on your credit forever.
It will never go away if you don’t deal with it.
May 16, 2017
680 posts
671 upvotes
Possibly outstanding tolls on Hwy 407.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1801 posts
298 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Great service from the private sector credit bureaus! If you had time and money consider suing for damages on the loss of the mortgage. How has a 1998 debt not dropped off?
May 16, 2017
680 posts
671 upvotes
haliwood wrote:
Aug 8th, 2018 6:32 pm
Great service from the private sector credit bureaus! If you had time and money consider suing for damages on the loss of the mortgage. How has a 1998 debt not dropped off?
The debt is old but the collection is new, therefore it will appear on the credit report. As it was owed to the Government, it wasn't subject to the Ontario Limitations Act.
May 31, 2018
185 posts
252 upvotes
Saskatchewan
I have never heard of a Ministry from any level of govenment hiring (or selling a debt to) a collections agency. Is this something new or have I been under a rock for a while?

And wouldn’t there have been many notifications from the Ministry to an individual if they were looking for money for 20 years?
Jun 22, 2018
58 posts
40 upvotes
Edmonton
List of common reasons to owe the M.O.T. Debt

1) Child Support Arrears
2) Default on Suspended License
3) Default on Fines
4) Community Service Incomplete
The original Fine Stands + new fees & Interest
5) Uncollected Tolls

Unfortunately the majority of these Debts are proven valid. On any Gov't debts, they can chase you until Death

** years ago I was an Addictions Counselor
with ODSP/OntarioWorks. While I don't recall seeing any 20yrs debts, there were plenty of 10 yrs + the occasional 15yr

#FDR is the Worst of the Worst
Scum of the Earth
They abuse Gov't Debt Collection to no end

Its a freakin headache to get it removed
But here is something I have used, albeit with limited success

Obtain your Drivers Abstract if you can going back to
1993. Very beneficial to have on hand in your case.
Also attach it to your Dispute.

Dispute it again but add a Consumer Statement
To the Effect of

" I, (your name) dispute this debt (in the amount of)
owing to M.O.T. FDR nor the M.O.T. have provided a Dated Certified Copy of the Attested To Infractions that resulted in this Debt Owing.

I dispute the validity of this Debt by Date
(Enter their Date) as I have been unable to confirm
The exact date and location of said infraction

I dispute the validity of this Debt as I have not had any prior issues obtaining my Drivers License and Registration over these subsequent years."

Add any other info you consider relevant
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
2459 posts
1356 upvotes
Kitchener
coolintheshade wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 4:17 pm
It’s not a scam.
FDR is a collection agency that purchased, or was hired to collect a debt that YOU owe, and they can chase you til the end of time to collect it if they want.
And since it’s a government debt you owe, they can put it on your credit forever.
It will never go away if you don’t deal with it.
^^^^^

This. OP needs to dig through his files in his brain to see if he owes for something with the MTO.

Should be noted too, there is a difference between reporting old debts and collecting old debts. They're separate, but at the end of the day, always best to deal with your debts and suffer the short-term consequences rather than putting it off forever, as the OP has discovered.

The same happened to my ex when we went to renew our mortgage, a very old debt was put onto her report, but well beyond the statute of that time (I think it was 7 years at that time). Long story short, paid off the debt, were able to renew our mortgage.
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Jul 21, 2019
1 posts
SCAM ALERT!! Don’t call them back and don’t give them any of your info. They called me and left an automated message stating that it’s not a marketing call and that I need to call them immediately. When I called back they knew my name without me telling them. Then they told me I have a debt with a company that I’ve never had an acct with when I told them I e never had an acct with that company, the lady immediately told me to hold just a second and she transferred me to a voicemail. I called back and asked her how she feels about scamming innocent ppl. She transferred me immediately without responding. Some man picked up the phone (I guess posing like the manager), I asked him the same and he said that I should call back when I have more clarity, then he hung up on me. I will be reporting them to the police
Jul 28, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Same. I got a new number a couple weeks ago and they call every morning and leave an automated voice message. I called a week ago and asked her to please stop calling. This same number 18558988292 left a message this morning so I called back and a little annoying man answered with a very little annoying voice and gave me the run around and was offended that I was offended and I asked to talk to someone else more mature than him and he hung up on me so I called back hoping to chat to someone with way more intelligence....nope same little prick ******* and he kept saying "no one wants to talk to you". Very unprofessional annoying rude ignorant little shithead man and I asked him where he was from and he wouldn't say. Just total nonsrnce ignorant rude unprofessional behavior. If you call him back he will probly answer and blame it on me. Yes I was mad as swore at this little shithead man. He's annoying and dysfunctional totally useless and they are the ones calling my new number constantly for a guy named Glen! Wtf. I'm not even the o e they're looking for. He didn't listen to anything I asked him at the beginning of the call because he was problynin there harrassing everyone all morning and they were calling him back lipping him off! Most annoyingest people unprofessional on this planet.
Jul 28, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
14039109298 that same lil douche bag man called from this number after I told him 3 times to STOP CALLING ME!! I recognized his stupid annoying unprofessional harrssing voice n then he started acting all dumb again what a total fruitcake lilbiautch!!!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7103 posts
1996 upvotes
Financial District B…
FarmerHarv wrote:
Aug 9th, 2018 3:31 pm
I have never heard of a Ministry from any level of govenment hiring (or selling a debt to) a collections agency. Is this something new or have I been under a rock for a while?

And wouldn’t there have been many notifications from the Ministry to an individual if they were looking for money for 20 years?
They don't.
Too many people on here think every bad debt from a collections and recovery agency is a sold charged-off account when many are not.
A lot of businesses like the MTO have to sub-contract out their strong arm collection duties. These collection agiencies do not buy these accounts. They are hired to collect what is exactly due and they are paid like any other service that is hired from the MTO or any other gvnmt entity.
Same principle when it comes to collecting Student Loans. The Student loans are not sold off to agencies to collect a fraction of what is owed.
Even banks and mortgage orgs use these agencies to do their collections and notifications duties for bad debt accounts because these agencies offer a number of services all under one roof like skip tracing, process serving, location services etc.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1290 posts
78 upvotes
I don't understand; doesn't the MTO suspend your license if you have an unpaid fine? Why would they resort to a collection company?

Unless you don't have a license ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)