[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1528 posts
557 upvotes
Vancouver

Find replacement ceramic tiles for house built 15 years ago

As per title, some tiles are broken.

Is it even possible to find and buy new matching replacement ceramic tiles to replace them?

If not, i guess patching it up or replacing the entire flooring would be the only option?
7 replies
May 12, 2021
138 posts
61 upvotes
You can try calling your builder’s customer service line and see if they can help you with the vendor. I doubt the tile style will still be carried.

If your home is in a subdivision ask your neighbors if they have extra tiles. My home was built in 2008 and the builder gave me an extra box of all the tile, sitting in the cold cellar.
Fantastical wrote: As per title, some tiles are broken.

Is it even possible to find and buy new matching replacement ceramic tiles to replace them?

If not, i guess patching it up or replacing the entire flooring would be the only option?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4800 posts
4549 upvotes
Toronto
Post a photo and someone might have seen something similar. Unless it's a very specific design, you can probably find something that will be "close enough".

In Toronto, there's a big tile store called Centura Tile. They have a separate outlet building and I was surprised that the outlet sold the exact tile that's in my house and the tile job was over 20 years old at the time. Perhaps there's something like that in Vancouver.

But, more importantly, where are these broken tiles? In general, tiles shouldn't crack, even after 15 years, and definitely not several of them. If it was installed correctly, even dropping a heavy item on a tile shouldn't easily crack it. You may have to consider that you may have a bigger problem underneath the tiles and replacing them all and redoing the tile job would best. If they are in a wet area (e.g. shower), then it's a BIG issue.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
Try habitat restore - they sell used and old stock stuff.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1528 posts
557 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks. Good point. I have a feeling it is poor installation. It's a townhouse with a small dining area that has those broken tiles...nothing has dropped on there. It sounds hollow when i knock on the tiles, and therefore, something is not right underneath the tiles.

I live in Richmond, BC which is close to sealevel, and someone said broken tile is more common in RIchmond BC as the ground shift more when it's close to sealevel.

I would say it is a combination of (a) ground close to sealevel and (b) poor installation.

~8% of the dining area tile is broken. Perhaps, like you suggest, it's best to re-do the flooring.
jm1 wrote: Post a photo and someone might have seen something similar. Unless it's a very specific design, you can probably find something that will be "close enough".

In Toronto, there's a big tile store called Centura Tile. They have a separate outlet building and I was surprised that the outlet sold the exact tile that's in my house and the tile job was over 20 years old at the time. Perhaps there's something like that in Vancouver.

But, more importantly, where are these broken tiles? In general, tiles shouldn't crack, even after 15 years, and definitely not several of them. If it was installed correctly, even dropping a heavy item on a tile shouldn't easily crack it. You may have to consider that you may have a bigger problem underneath the tiles and replacing them all and redoing the tile job would best. If they are in a wet area (e.g. shower), then it's a BIG issue.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2544 posts
467 upvotes
North York
Fantastical wrote: Thanks. Good point. I have a feeling it is poor installation. It's a townhouse with a small dining area that has those broken tiles...nothing has dropped on there. It sounds hollow when i knock on the tiles, and therefore, something is not right underneath the tiles.
I'd say your feeling is right, if you get a hollow sound the tile isn't fully bonded - so an install issue.
Mar 20, 2017
508 posts
1301 upvotes
$100 says the tiles weren’t back buttered
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
7215 posts
2242 upvotes
0 downvotes
I found a box of tiles under the staircase in my basement, which happen to match the ones of my back splash, now just gotta find the ones which match the floor and shower wall and im set
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!