Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 7, 2011
126 posts
2 upvotes

Finding accounting jobs

Hi there,
I was wondering should I wait to find a acctg job and then enroll in a professional acctg prog? I mean I'm worried if I do the designation and don't get a job after what the point of doing the designation in first place. These days it seems employers are mostly interested in you having experience first rather than necessary education. Please advice.
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1150 upvotes
Your question must be related to CMA/CGA. With the CA, you can't really complete it without being in a CA training office anyways.

There are pros and cons to being enrolled without a job. The main one being that you can put it on your resume to show that you're serious about accounting. The other benefit is that taking courses will keep your mind fresh. You may also meet other professionals who may become useful industry contacts (rare occasion if you ask me. I'm a CGA. Most people seemed to be somewhat antisocial).

The disadvantage is simply that you have to shell out $$$. Some employers will cover your course fees. You can save some serious $$$ if you wait until you have a job with a company that's willing to support you. If you don't land a job, but don't have the experience to qualify, you still have to pay your annual dues.

Is it worth it? If money is not a problem, my advice is to enroll. I'm not convinced that enrolling provides a noticeable advantage in job searching. CMA/CGA candidates are a dime a dozen. But every little bit helps when it's so hard to get your foot in the door. I personally don't find the CGA program difficult. The courseload is manageable and is designed for people with a full time job. Most of the work can be done in evening readings or just cram during the weekends.
[OP]
Jun 7, 2011
126 posts
2 upvotes
Ok, I see. But I heard if you enroll in the CGA or CMA program they give you access to job postings. Does they help people who have limited acctg experience?
Feb 20, 2011
231 posts
119 upvotes
I don't know about CGA but before I graduated I created an account on the CMA Alberta website and it allowed me to have access to their job postings. But from experience most of the posts are either from David Alpine or Robert Half Services. A few decent listings do show up once in a while but most require you to be already designated with experience. I've only seen postings for CMA candidates a couple of times. Creating the account doesn't enroll me so there are no annual fees.