• Last Updated:
  • May 25th, 2021 10:26 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 3, 2020
33 posts
40 upvotes

Finding Lamb Pizzles - Any suggestions?

My pup has always preferred lamb pizzles, but lately they’ve been impossible to find. Due to her size, beef pizzles are either too large or too thick for her to chew through. I haven’t tried any other alternatives, but perhaps someone knows of something similar to lamb.

Anyone know of anywhere to buy lamb pizzles or bully sticks?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1149 posts
346 upvotes
Mississauga area
I've been buying my bully sticks from bullysticks.ca
They have lots of different sizes and are cheaper than most places. Not sure if they have lamb pizzles, but they do have softer chews that might work.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3594 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
kittypink - How is your poodle doing?

OP re bully sticks, it all depends on your dog - ours was a major Hoover who would swallow anything whole - it was scary. So he didn't get any - instead he got bite sized treats. He weighed 25 lbs. - but had to play with the big dogs. But regular bully sticks (I do not know about lamb) but regular are carried at just about every pet store or on-line as per kittypink.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1149 posts
346 upvotes
Mississauga area
Hi Blanche - she's great, more settled and through those crazy puppy months - thanks for asking.

Yes, different dogs eat bully sticks differently. My last dog was a gulper. I had a big scare with her when she nearly chocked on a piece of bully stick that got smaller than an inch and was all slimy. It was lodged in her throat and she started pawing her neck. I didn't even know she was choking until she became frantic. I managed to pull it out but it was scary. From then on I threw away her bully stick when it got to an inch.

With my current poodle, I started with also throwing away the pieces at an inch. She was trained to only eat the bully sticks when sitting next to me on the couch so I would know if she chokes. Then one day, I didn't realize she ate the whole thing. I've watched her carefully since, but she's a careful chewer. She chews before swallowing and a pretty dainty eater. So now I let her have the whole bully stick, but always only sitting beside me. She gets a 4 inch bully stick every 3 days and the vet said her teeth are perfect.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2020
33 posts
40 upvotes
My little girl is about 6 pounds and I found that the beef bully sticks were a bit harder, thus she would get fed up towards the end and just swallow them. With the lamb ones, they seem a bit easier to work through and thus she is happy to work through them.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll check out the website and see what they have.

2-3 years ago I never had trouble finding any lamb bully sticks. Now it’s almost impossible. Not sure what happened.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3594 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
That's great, kittypink (both the pup and the bully sticks). Our dog was such a hoover that he would put the whole stick into his mouth at once and it was a nightmare, hence both the groomer and the vet said no more. Your pup sounds as if he is in-between so that is good. It was very scary when he started to choke. There was nothing this dog wouldn't eat and that includes outdoor food.

I hate to tell you but our last Dachshund who weighed 12 lbs. had perfect teeth at his at his 5th year physical. But between the 5th and 6th year physicals his teeth deteriorated and he was scheduled for a dental. This was unusual in a Dachshund to have good teeth at age 5 since they are known to have bad teeth - too many teeth for their small mouths. So keep an eye out - hopefully you won't have this issue but be prepared! Of course before his dental his back went and he had to have surgery. So a dental looked pretty good at that point.