Home & Garden

Finding various bugs in my house - suggestions? Filter for floor register?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2021 10:46 pm
[OP]
Aug 15, 2009
226 posts
46 upvotes

Finding various bugs in my house - suggestions? Filter for floor register?

Hi RFD!

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been finding various bugs around my house. Most are tiny, harmless spiders, although there have been two instances where I've had to kill larger bugs like centipedes.

I'm not really sure where these bugs are coming from, but my guess is that some of them are slipping through the ducts/grates.

Are there any suggestions for what type of filters I can put underneath each floor register and other wall vents that won't be too detrimental to air flow but that will prevent bugs from crawling through them? It looks like this mesh is pretty well reviewed (https://www.amazon.ca/ADFORS-Vent-Mesh- ... merReviews).

Thanks!
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6601 posts
6078 upvotes
It's normal this time of year and they're all harmless. No need to go out and do something about it. They can enter from anywhere, vent registers aren't going to do anything.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21745 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
hierophant wrote: It's normal this time of year and they're all harmless. No need to go out and do something about it. They can enter from anywhere, vent registers aren't going to do anything.
This

It’s August …
Fact of nature

As it gets cooler outside bugs move inside to survive

First come the houseflies
Then the fruit flies
And lastly the ladybugs

By October … they’ll all be dead & gone
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47775 posts
8484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You have centipedes because you have insects they eat. Both spiders and centipedes are good bugs to have around the house - they eat more dangerous pests that feed on your house and wiring. By killing centipedes, you're allowing your population of other pests like roaches, moths, flies, silverfish and termites to flourish, most of them stay behind the walls so you won't even be able to see them.

Next time you see a centipede, either relocate it outside of your living area, or let it be, just like having a cat in the house.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
Not another "Bugs in the house" thread.
This type of threads come up once a week.
Are people really fresh off the boat that they have never interact with nature?

Your house is not 100% air tight. They will come in through chimney, exhaust, doors, windows, attic, etc...
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
672 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
clutch31 wrote: I spray this stuff around the perimeter of my house.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/orth ... p.html#srp
We use the same thing. My house was built on an old creek bed and even though we have 3 dehumdifiers running all year, the centipedes go nuts in the summer. I went ballistic when one came crawling out of the sugar bowl so my husband bought this and it works really well. The humidity brings them out like crazy.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1493 posts
1024 upvotes
Ripley
Do you go outside? Do you ever bring anything into the house? Bugs can be on your clothes, shoes, hair, mail, newspaper, any item that has been outside and is now inside. Not to mention all the other ways mentioned - doors, windows, exhaust fans, etc. There is no way to have zero bugs. Keeping food closed tightly and keeping your house clean helps but you can't eliminate all bugs.
Mar 14, 2018
954 posts
917 upvotes
GTA
Some people don't like bugs (they may even have a phobia) and they want to minimize them coming into their house... What's wrong with that?

Do you also shame people who take care of their lawn? Weeds are all-natural and harmless so why remove them? I find it ironic that we have thousands of posts on weed control here but you guys jump on someone who wants to control bugs!
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
47775 posts
8484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
BDSL wrote: Not another "Bugs in the house" thread.
This type of threads come up once a week.
Are people really fresh off the boat that they have never interact with nature?

Your house is not 100% air tight. They will come in through chimney, exhaust, doors, windows, attic, etc...
This week one of my neighbours down the street complained because a friend of our's dog (staying with us for the week) pee'd on their lawn... yes you heard that right. Our first reaction was, "ok, and..?" lol... Apparently they did it to a few other neighbours too.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
clutch31 wrote: Some people don't like bugs (they may even have a phobia) and they want to minimize them coming into their house... What's wrong with that?

Do you also shame people who take care of their lawn? Weeds are all-natural and harmless so why remove them? I find it ironic that we have thousands of posts on weed control here but you guys jump on someone who wants to control bugs!
There is a difference between eliminate bugs coming into your home and randomly exterminate random bugs outside your home.
When you poison a bug outside, there is a chance it will get consumed by another bug or an animal....and guess what happens to the other bug or animal??
Mar 14, 2018
954 posts
917 upvotes
GTA
BDSL wrote: There is a difference between eliminate bugs coming into your home and randomly exterminate random bugs outside your home.
When you poison a bug outside, there is a chance it will get consumed by another bug or an animal....and guess what happens to the other bug or animal??
Obviously you spray with precaution. With the same logic, go shame everyone who wants to chemically treat their lawn or garden... or use voc paints... or any toxic substance for their reno/maintenance... you get the point.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
clutch31 wrote: Obviously you spray with precaution. With the same logic, go shame everyone who wants to chemically treat their lawn or garden... or use voc paints... or any toxic substance for their reno/maintenance... you get the point.
Can you explain to me how you can spray with precaution around the perimeter of your house AND prevent other bugs/birds/animals/pets from getting poisoned?

https://www.ontario.ca/page/pesticides- ... nd-gardens
Mar 14, 2018
954 posts
917 upvotes
GTA
BDSL wrote: Can you explain to me how you can spray with precaution around the perimeter of your house AND prevent other bugs/birds/animals/pets from getting poisoned?

https://www.ontario.ca/page/pesticides- ... nd-gardens
The point is to poison bugs...

Precaution: Keep pets and humans away until they dry... same with any pesticide. I can't keep all wild animals off but again, that's true with any pesticide.

If this product was so detrimental to the eco system, it would have been banned.

If you are against any form of pesticide, I get you, but you are grasping for straws if you want to argue against spraying this particular pesticide around the house. It is exactly how the product is intended to be used. Kill bugs and prevent them.

And not sure what you want to convey with the website. The active ingredient in the product is not listed as a banned substance.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8045 posts
9022 upvotes
Montréal
ah_b wrote: Hi RFD!

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been finding various bugs around my house. Most are tiny, harmless spiders, although there have been two instances where I've had to kill larger bugs like centipedes.

I'm not really sure where these bugs are coming from, but my guess is that some of them are slipping through the ducts/grates.

Are there any suggestions for what type of filters I can put underneath each floor register and other wall vents that won't be too detrimental to air flow but that will prevent bugs from crawling through them? It looks like this mesh is pretty well reviewed (https://www.amazon.ca/ADFORS-Vent-Mesh- ... merReviews).

Thanks!
That's called NATURE. Bugs are there to stay, and a fly or two in a house does no harm... unless you have something like carpenter ants,or bed bugs there is no harm and having bugs in the house, and having bugs in the house is not a sing of lack of maintenance or cleanliness...
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1313 posts
822 upvotes
GTA
I have bugs in my house; I usually ignore them.