Careers

Fingerprinting ... in the Financial Industry???

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2006 4:27 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Jan 22, 2005
1762 posts

Fingerprinting ... in the Financial Industry???

This must be a first in North American history!!!

Computershare Trust Company of Canada, a Transfer Agent for securities, requires ALL EMPLOYEES to provide their finger prints!!!

Never heard this crap before.

As to my knowledge, these employees deal with physical stock certificates. Why fingerprint these employees?????

I would figure that the bank employees (ie. tellers or any other individuals dealing with cash directly) should be fingerprinted instead of these people.

This company is Australian owned.

They agree that the fingerprints would be destroyed if an employee leaves. But why this procedure? All employees must go through a Criminal Record check before being hired. If someone has a Criminal Record ... he/she would not be hired at all! Fingerprints are for people who have committed a crime and therefore would have a Criminal Record.

What the HELL is this company doing???

The other Canadian Transfer Agents (CIBC Mellon, Equity Transfer Services, National Bank of Canada, Pacific Corporate Trust Company, Valiant Trust Company, and Olympia Trust Company) do not require fingerprinting of employees.

The ONLY ONE ... COMPUTERSHARE!!!

No where in IDA and OSC rules and regulations requires employees to provide fingerprints.

Is Computershare violating human rights??? I think so!!!

BTW, they "fired" four employees on the grounds of declining to provide fingerprints.
3 Points to Remember:
1 - The year is short ... FISH HARD!
2 - SUCCESS is a journey, not a DESTINATION.
3 - People never plan to fail, but people fail to plan.
13 replies
[OP]
Banned
Jan 22, 2005
1762 posts
I don't think this was brought to the attention of the ENTIRE FINANCIAL INDUSTRY or the MEDIA!

Computershare apparently is hiding something away from everyone!
3 Points to Remember:
[OP]
Banned
Jan 22, 2005
1762 posts
Nice job!!!

The ONLY agencies that have the right to hold fingerprints for use would be the Police (including the RCMP), the CIA and the FBI.

NOT a Securities Transfer Agent called Computershare!

Absolutely a JOKE! RUBBISH!
3 Points to Remember:
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1747 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto
ACTUALLY MACDONALDS, OR at least the one my younger brother works at now has a fingerprint system to clock in and out. A lot of security agencies do fingerprint, GTAA employees, even the guys that sell at dutyfree at the airport are required to provide prints.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
TigerEROS wrote:The ONLY agencies that have the right to hold fingerprints for use would be the Police (including the RCMP), the CIA and the FBI.
Why would the CIA and FBI have the right to keep my fingerprints in their files?
Beans, beans, the magically fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel. So eat your beans at every meal.
Sep 22, 2004
877 posts
9 upvotes
Ajax
I'm thinking he meant keep files of Americans in general. I don't think the CIA or FBI keep prints of ordinary canadian citizens, possibly if one has a record or is suspect somehow.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3352 posts
295 upvotes
Calgary
Bottom line. If they have implemented biometric authentication you'll need to give up the prints or you won't have access. I'm not surprised that they do this especially in the financial industry.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
1434 posts
123 upvotes
Midtown Toronto
What's the issue? All I see is a big rant with lots of punctuation.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2005
8840 posts
Vancouver
Conspiracy theory I guess.

If you have nothing to hide, who cares? I am very much against the collection of electronic data myself, but I am willing to bend when it comes to my job.

When it comes to a third party I don't know or don't know what they will do with the data, I am very hesitant to release any kind of personal information or trackable data.
Beans, beans, the magically fruit. The more you eat, the more you toot. The more you toot, the better you feel. So eat your beans at every meal.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes
If you don't like the environment, don't work for them.
Jan 6, 2004
413 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Employment at will. Don't like it, don't work for them.

As bad as it sounds, this is the future. Wait tell RFID starts to get fully integrated.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
2469 posts
2 upvotes
a company has the right to ask for a finger print, you have the right to refuse, they have the right to not hire you :lol:

Whats the big deal, under privacy laws you can request a copy of every peice of infomation the company has about you when you leave.

Persoanlly I can see an advantage to this, you already don't hire criminals there for you know none of your employees woudl have finger prints in any sort of police file. so when you get robbed (or what ever) and the person who did it flees you have on file their finger prints which can be used as evidence. It may even jsut be a deterant.

Its like drug testing, if its a requirement of the job your free to find a new job.