None
[OP]
Banned
Jul 24, 2014
130 posts
11 upvotes
Windsor, ON

Fire Alarm w/Remote Speaker?

Here's the situation: my father keeps forgetting things on the range. We've tried to tell him to never put anything on there without it being attended, but it's not sinking in.

Typical scenario is he decides to warm up soup, but gets distracted and goes into his workshop. He comes back to find the house full of smoke, the pot destroyed, and his food made into charcoal.

So far, nothing has caught fire thankfully, but it will, and that'll be the end of the house, or maybe him, if he falls asleep in the basement (he's somewhat hard of hearing, so I doubt a fire alarm upstairs would wake him from a sleep downstairs).

What I want is a fire alarms where they need to be (we currently have 2, but it should probably be 3 or maybe 4), and speakers everywhere else, even in the workshop. In fact, if all of the alarms would go off at the same time, but the "alerting" one blinks red or something, that would be awesome.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4845 posts
4634 upvotes
Toronto
Most hard-wired alarms can be interconnected, so that when one alarm sounds, all other wired alarms throughout the house will sound as well. Here's one for example:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/hardwir ... -up/939703

Notice that the front photo shows three wires. The third is for communication between the alarms.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 24, 2014
130 posts
11 upvotes
Windsor, ON
jm1 wrote: Most hard-wired alarms can be interconnected, so that when one alarm sounds, all other wired alarms throughout the house will sound as well. Here's one for example:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/hardwir ... -up/939703
Wow, I thought this was going to be an expensive endeavour. So, you give them 120v @ black and white and just connect all the red wires together? If so, that would be fantastic. I thought this was going to be a pan in the arse; thank you.

Edit: I have another question. The "signal" wire; I assume it's low voltage, but what can I use for signalling? I have to run a new wire to the workshop, so it'd be nice to know what works.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4478 posts
477 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Note: Not a Fire Alarm, but a Smoke Detector.

The signal wire is not low voltage. We put relays on them to tie into alarm systems, which are low voltage.
You can do the same to trigger something else such as a siren or something else to get his attention.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
[OP]
Banned
Jul 24, 2014
130 posts
11 upvotes
Windsor, ON
BuildingHomes wrote: Note: Not a Fire Alarm, but a Smoke Detector.
My apologies, I meant to say smoke detector. As for the signal, at least on those Kidde units, I've found they're 9v signal, so I'll just use some red fire-resistant spool wire instead of ridiculously overprices 3-way wiring.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto
Get him to carry a timer? Soup takes what, 8 minutes to boil?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7738 posts
1628 upvotes
How about a little microwave in the workshop, warm it up in there and can heat up coffee / tea during the day too.

Or flameless induction cooktop.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Banned
Jul 24, 2014
130 posts
11 upvotes
Windsor, ON
DIrty-D wrote: Get him to carry a timer? Soup takes what, 8 minutes to boil?
I don't think you quite get it; what I said was an example, and it could easily be a turkey he put in there for 6 hours ... 6 hours of which he has to leave the timer somewhere. Or MAKING soup, or pasta sauce, which can take like 10 hours. Or maybe there is something under the burner that catches fire in the "8 minutes" it takes to warm up soup. Or, he just didn't turn off the burner, meaning that spoon he left near the element starts to smoke. Or he left the cookie sheet with parchment paper inside the oven while it was warming up when he is downstairs folding laundry. Also, I pretty clearly stated he forgets, thus will obviously forget the timer in random places / not set it in the first place as well.

This smoke detecting system, while not perfect, will be an "always operational" system that would be a ton more effective than what exists now (smoke alarms in completely ineffective locations and without capability of reaching the . We will keep telling him best practices, but "old dogs new tricks" applies very much here.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 24, 2014
130 posts
11 upvotes
Windsor, ON
hdom wrote: How about a little microwave in the workshop, warm it up in there and can heat up coffee / tea during the day too.
This is a great suggestion, but we already tried this; the workshop is a pretty volatile environment (metalworking or engine repair are mostly what goes on in there), so the microwave didn't survive long with metal shavings being pulled thru the internals. I believe there is a toaster oven in there that still works. As well, the soup was an example, but it could easily be making pasta, making hashbrowns, etc etc that are not reasonably doable without the oven.