Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 5, 2010
421 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto

Fire extinguisher

Does anyone here have fire extinguisher(s) in their house? Just curious ... seems like an easy investment for some safety measures.
36 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1894 posts
358 upvotes
Alberta
Yup, just a small one in the kitchen.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1318 posts
910 upvotes
Orleans, ON
I have one in my kitchen. Cost about $20 from Canadian Tire.

They have different ratings (for grease, electrical, etc...). So make sure to read the label.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12211 posts
8619 upvotes
Edmonton
Since I'm in the middle of renos, I picked up a big one at Costco. But I like to keep one around. Preferably one that handles grease/oil AND electrical.

C
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4581 upvotes
Alberta
I've got three. One in the kitchen, upstairs and garage.
Jan 14, 2013
279 posts
273 upvotes
One in the basement near the furnace, and one in the kitchen, both ABC extinguishers that handle all types of fire.

Regrettably dont know if it is luck or inatentiveness, but i have had to use a fire extinguishr in each of my homes, so a few words: if you do make the decision to purchase, please consider getting an ABC one, and check the date and pressure before purchasing. Note eventhough most state that they are refilleable, they are not truly: I brougt mine to he local fire station and they laughed at me when i asked them to refill mine after a kitchen fire.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16941 posts
1785 upvotes
Thornhill
Got a huge one from Costco. Kitchen has a grease and non-grease one although I think they've expired.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2706 upvotes
ON
Have a small one in the kitchen.
Had a second in the basement by wood stove, but wood stove now removed and that extinguisher is expired/disposed of.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
jasonandannmarie wrote: One in the basement near the furnace, and one in the kitchen, both ABC extinguishers that handle all types of fire.

Regrettably dont know if it is luck or inatentiveness, but i have had to use a fire extinguishr in each of my homes, so a few words: if you do make the decision to purchase, please consider getting an ABC one, and check the date and pressure before purchasing. Note eventhough most state that they are refilleable, they are not truly: I brougt mine to he local fire station and they laughed at me when i asked them to refill mine after a kitchen fire.
Interesting... and disappointing. I'm not surprised though. I imagine the fire department's insurance policy does not cover liability for this kind of service. A quick Google search reveals that many private fire protection companies do inspection and refill services. No mention of prices on the sites for the most part, obviously would have to follow up to see if it's worth it vs buying a replacement.

For the discharged unit, how did you dispose of it? Household hazardous waste drop off?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20075 posts
7413 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Its cheap insurance, someone a few streets over had their house burn to the brick frame. I suspect they didn't have house insurance, no repairs have been done 6 months later.

I definitely have an extinguisher, bought it a while after i moved in, and is kept in an easy to access location. The year of manufacture is stamped on the bottom, not sure how long they last, i had looked in to it but have forgotten.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Its cheap insurance, someone a few streets over had their house burn to the brick frame. I suspect they didn't have house insurance, no repairs have been done 6 months later.

I definitely have an extinguisher, bought it a while after i moved in, and is kept in an easy to access location. The year of manufacture is stamped on the bottom, not sure how long they last, i had looked in to it but have forgotten.
From what I've read, fire extinguishers have a 6 year shelf life. Then they need to be inspected and refilled, whether they have been used or not. I also saw something about pressure testing every 12 years. For home use I would guess that it would be cheaper to replace rather than doing all that.
Apr 3, 2011
156 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Why would you want to keep your fire extinguisher in the kitchen next to the stove? Wouldn't it be safer to keep it in a closet next to an exit?
May 1, 2007
327 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
Alexhouse wrote: Why would you want to keep your fire extinguisher in the kitchen next to the stove? Wouldn't it be safer to keep it in a closet next to an exit?
Um, in case the stove catches fire while cooking?
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
527 upvotes
He has a point, extinguisher should be kept away from source of heat since they are pressurized. Maybe under the kitchen sink or if a small one you might be able to attach a bracket to the inside of one of the lower cupboard doors.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2014
1206 posts
373 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Alexhouse wrote: Why would you want to keep your fire extinguisher in the kitchen next to the stove? Wouldn't it be safer to keep it in a closet next to an exit?
yeah... thats why I keep my fire extinguisher in the oven (which I never use)
Apr 3, 2011
156 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Kitchen fires usually spread very quickly, and its going to be difficult to reach for it when you need it the most.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6658 posts
360 upvotes
Have a 2lb in the car, 5lb in the garage, and a 20lb in the house entry closet
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20075 posts
7413 upvotes
Socially Distanced
RFD6482 wrote: yeah... thats why I keep my fire extinguisher in the oven (which I never use)
Never say never, someday someone might try to cook a frozen pizza, a visitor, significant other, family, parent, acquaintance or even you after a long day and not thinking may decide to use the oven and most baking requires preheating.
Lets hope inflammable does not mean flammable
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Mar 31, 2011
276 posts
216 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
I just got hosed by CT on an on-sale 5BC extinguisher.

Goes on sale for 23.99 last Thurs, I walk in to the store on Fri, shelf is empty, yet StockTracker shows 7 in inventory. Talk to a clerk, checks his portable scanner with the product #, shows that the batch of 7 just arrived that day, give the store about 24 hrs to reload the shelf. OK, no probs.

I come back Sun, shelf is still empty. Come back Tues, same story. So now I'm concerned about losing sale price, so I buy online and choose in-store pickup. Order goes to 'In Progress', and sits there until Sat afternoon. I now get an email that order was cancelled for OOS, even though the stock for that store never waivered from '6' between Tuesday and right this minute!

I betcha I go to that store tomorrow, and the shelf will have all 6 just waiting to get bought, now back at reg price...
Buying things you don't need is what RFD is all about.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4480 posts
3310 upvotes
Yep always had one even when I was in my apartment. In fact I have the same one (definitely more than 12 years old) and I can confirm that it still works as I had to use it on my BBQ last year Flushed Face. There's a test to feature to ensure that it works

Definitely worth the small investment.