Home & Garden

is it a fire hazard to cover window with paper?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2021 4:10 pm
[OP]
May 2, 2014
340 posts
106 upvotes

is it a fire hazard to cover window with paper?

this sounds like a stupid question but better to be safe than sorry
my high rise unit gets exposed to much sun and heat. i am not ready to commit to curtains just yet, so i plan to buy a bunch of bristol paper and tape it to the window.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
8895 posts
5941 upvotes
Kootenays
Why not buy reflective film and apply that? It will keep the heat out but let some light in and allow you to see through it.
[OP]
May 2, 2014
340 posts
106 upvotes
smacd wrote: Why not buy reflective film and apply that? It will keep the heat out but let some light in and allow you to see through it.
i have enough windows to be content with losing out on the view from the window in question. that was my first thought though, or a tint
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17117 posts
14517 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Not a fire hazard

But ... if you are a renter in a building with a Landlord / Tenants Association
Or an owner with a Condo Board / Homeowners Association etc
There could very well be rules regarding window coverings
Be that curtains / blinds ... film treatments ... or yes even temporary fixes like cardboard, flags, etc

So best to do some checking first before you head off to the Dollar Store to stock up on Bristol Board & Tape
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5949 posts
4257 upvotes
There is absolutely no fire hazard, but...You don't mind that it'll look ghetto?From the inside AND the outside?And think about what @PointsHubby points you to
Last edited by DoorCrasher on Apr 3rd, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
21251 posts
8096 upvotes
Socially Distanced
I'd use white blinds if i were you.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Sep 25, 2003
282 posts
78 upvotes
Scarborough
Ikea has inexpensive polyester blinds (SCHOTTIS) that are not much more expensive than Bristol board. Comes in white and blackout style. You just peel and stick, and covers up to a 6 foot tall window.