Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2451 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa

Fire Stick 4k + Alt TV

Thinking about getting a Fire stick 4k + Bell's Alt TV, but can't find any videos/images/reviews on this.

Anybody have this and can share their experiences?

I currently have a set top box (Rogers), and use it because I like watching on a TV and having a remote (i.e. for browsing/flipping through channels). I see that the Fire Stick has a remote, but can I browse channels like I can with a set top box, or is it primarily select a channel to watch through the guide?

FS: Nothing
8 replies
Jan 12, 2007
321 posts
162 upvotes
It's not bad at all but not anywhere like a normal STB. If you are a big channel surfer you won't like it.
I'm using it on a 65" 4K TV and the video quality is OK, again nothing like a 4K STB but again it's only $15/month for the starter channels so you have to consider this product is meant to be inferior to FibeTV.
Full Guide available, no PVR yet although I expect them to implement cloud based playback and recording eventually (probably for extra cost too but who knows)

Let me know if you want to know anything else.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2451 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
yow2kvil wrote: Here's a video of Bell Fibe TV on a Firestick. I believe ALT TV uses the same app.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireTV/comment ... dium=web2x
TAZ99 wrote: It's not bad at all but not anywhere like a normal STB. If you are a big channel surfer you won't like it.
I'm using it on a 65" 4K TV and the video quality is OK, again nothing like a 4K STB but again it's only $15/month for the starter channels so you have to consider this product is meant to be inferior to FibeTV.
Full Guide available, no PVR yet although I expect them to implement cloud based playback and recording eventually (probably for extra cost too but who knows)

Let me know if you want to know anything else.
Thanks for the link and details. So you can't channel surf? Seems like have to go back and forth between the guide and channels.

Not too concerned about lack of PVR, but was expecting quality to be on par with hd channels on a STB.

Jan 12, 2007
321 posts
162 upvotes
TheGame wrote: Thanks for the link and details. So you can't channel surf? Seems like have to go back and forth between the guide and channels.

Not too concerned about lack of PVR, but was expecting quality to be on par with hd channels on a STB.
You can channel surf but it's slower than your average STB. Also the FireTV is WIFI only.
I prefer to channel surf on my STB.
If you have a 1080p TV under 50" you might be happy with the quality. I know it's not equivalent to the resolution / compression you get with FibeTV.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2451 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
TAZ99 wrote: You can channel surf but it's slower than your average STB. Also the FireTV is WIFI only.
I prefer to channel surf on my STB.
If you have a 1080p TV under 50" you might be happy with the quality. I know it's not equivalent to the resolution / compression you get with FibeTV.
Thanks, and if you needed to get from channel 10 to channel 300, for example, you have to either slowly flip to there or go through the guide? I don't see a num pad on the fire stick remote.

Jan 12, 2007
321 posts
162 upvotes
TheGame wrote: Thanks, and if you needed to get from channel 10 to channel 300, for example, you have to either slowly flip to there or go through the guide? I don't see a num pad on the fire stick remote.
Correct, you can use the Guide to scroll up and down quickly or flip the channels since there is no number pad.
There are filters you can setup with favorite channels so you can flip through the guide more efficiently as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
2451 posts
94 upvotes
Ottawa
TAZ99 wrote: Correct, you can use the Guide to scroll up and down quickly or flip the channels since there is no number pad.
There are filters you can setup with favorite channels so you can flip through the guide more efficiently as well.
Thanks, that's good to know about filters with fav channels. You've been a great help!

What's the process for getting to ALT TV from everything off? Is it: turn on TV with TV remote, turn on fire stick with fire stick remote, launch Alt TV app, launch live TV within app?

Jan 12, 2007
321 posts
162 upvotes
TheGame wrote: Thanks, that's good to know about filters with fav channels. You've been a great help!

What's the process for getting to ALT TV from everything off? Is it: turn on TV with TV remote, turn on fire stick with fire stick remote, launch Alt TV app, launch live TV within app?
Surprisingly it's really good a device control (CEC).
I have one TV hooked up to a Denon Receiver via HDMI. I hit the power button on fire TV, it will turn TV & Receiver ON. Hit the Power button again and all devices Turn OFF.
After powering up just select the app to open.