• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2020 8:58 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1520 posts
242 upvotes

Fire Stick 4k can't see Ethernet adapter

I bought a Fire Stick 4k last Black Friday, and a few month ago, purchased the official Amazon Ethernet adapter for the Fire Stick. I've plugged everything in, but the Fire Stick 4k doesn't seem to recognize that the Ethernet adapter exists. I've tried a factory reset of the Fire Stick.

Any ideas on where to look?

Thanks.
17 replies
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3731 posts
3249 upvotes
Markham
Have you turned on ethernet in Network Setting?
This is my wild guess only.
My Firestick 4K is using wifi alone.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1520 posts
242 upvotes
drdtyc wrote: Have you turned on ethernet in Network Setting?
This is my wild guess only.
My Firestick 4K is using wifi alone.
I don't any option to turn on Ethernet in my Network settings menu.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8064 posts
2732 upvotes
Maple
Can you just use ethernet, forget current network wifi?
The option is bottom right hand side.
Just curious why ethernet? Is wifi not good enough?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1520 posts
242 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Can you just use ethernet, forget current network wifi?
The option is bottom right hand side.
Just curious why ethernet? Is wifi not good enough?
I tried your suggested to forget all wiki networks, but Ethernet still did not appear as an option to select. Even tried rebooting the Stick after clearing the wifi networks.

I'm trying Ethernet because Plex sometimes complains the network isn't fast enough to handle the stream before buffering. I tested a Chromecast Ultra (that normally/must live on another TV), and it streams the same show on Plex fine over both wireless and wired connections.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1520 posts
242 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Try Google on how to. Here is one
https://www.wirelesshack.org/how-to-add ... ering.html
Good to have screenshots to refer to, but my Network settings screen always shows a list of detected wifi networks, followed by "See All Networks", "Join Network using WPS (button)", "Join Network Using WPN (PIN)", "Join Other Network", "Save Wi-Fi Passwords to Amazon".

The other end of the ethernet cable is plugged into a Gigabit switch, and that port of the switch is showing lights indicating that there is a link.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
8064 posts
2732 upvotes
Maple
kitty wrote: Good to have screenshots to refer to, but my Network settings screen always shows a list of detected wifi networks, followed by "See All Networks", "Join Network using WPS (button)", "Join Network Using WPN (PIN)", "Join Other Network", "Save Wi-Fi Passwords to Amazon".

The other end of the ethernet cable is plugged into a Gigabit switch, and that port of the switch is showing lights indicating that there is a link.
May be it’s defaulted to ethernet connection. You will not have to connect to anything. Can you try using Fire stick, see it connected via ethernet?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1520 posts
242 upvotes
teoconca wrote: May be it’s defaulted to ethernet connection. You will not have to connect to anything. Can you try using Fire stick, see it connected via ethernet?
The Home screen is says "Home is Currently Unavailable. A network error has occurred...".

I also tried using a different Ethernet cable as well as moving the Fire Stick to a different HDMI port on the TV.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
17238 posts
3492 upvotes
Toronto
kitty wrote: The Home screen is says "Home is Currently Unavailable. A network error has occurred...".

I also tried using a different Ethernet cable as well as moving the Fire Stick to a different HDMI port on the TV.
Can you see the fire stick as an Ethernet device in the router's dhcp table?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10321 posts
2692 upvotes
Winnipeg
try disabling/turning wifi off then add the usb ethernet
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1366 posts
470 upvotes
I didn't use Amazon Ethernet adapter on my Firestick 4K, it probably has to do with powering up.

I went with Ugreen hub 2.0 first time around everything was working properly. But next time I went with Ugreen hub 3.0 faster (sometime it has voice sync problem due to stream probably other channel work great). I prefer Ugreen 3.0 better because something that weren't working with Ugreen hub 2.0 works with 3.0

The other thing you need is OTG cable to hook power supply, firestick and ugreen hub 3.0. To tell you honestly it's not 100% but it's OK

Search for other thread we posted in Redflagdeals

need-help-connecting-otg-hub-lan-adapte ... #p31084229

There is probably other ways to hook it up but this worked best for me. Ethernet with wire is best.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1520 posts
242 upvotes
lead wrote: try disabling/turning wifi off then add the usb ethernet
There is no option to turn off wifi in the Fire Stick 4k's Network setting menu.

Can you point me to a screenshot?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3449 posts
3648 upvotes
GTA
Since your Firestick sounds like the settings are different or not even available, could it need a software update? Maybe it's an older version that doesn't have those settings available.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1520 posts
242 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: Since your Firestick sounds like the settings are different or not even available, could it need a software update? Maybe it's an older version that doesn't have those settings available.
As part of this playing around with the Network settings today, I factory-reset the stick, and it performed an update of the software when I connected it to wifi. Settings still not present.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2009
1366 posts
470 upvotes
[attachment=1]20120104_190838.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]20120104_190838.jpg[/attachment]

This is how it's connected, if you decide to get Ugreen hub 3.0 and OTG cable. Once you plug it in, everything powers up. firestick, ugreen and OTG cable.

First time posting picture on forum so be patient. Some how one of the pic is upside down, but you should get picture.

Wireless keyboard isn't necessary, or SD Card, or USB stick. But later on if you want to add to it you can.
Images
  • 20120104_190838.jpg
  • 20120104_190909.jpg
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28787 posts
9255 upvotes
teoconca wrote: Just curious why ethernet? Is wifi not good enough?
Wifi is never good enough ;) :P