• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2020 5:37 pm
[OP]
Apr 10, 2008
151 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto

Fire table / firepit Question

Looking to purchase a standalone, propane fuelled the fire table. Would appreciate feedback on a couple of questions:

How wide should the area around the actual fire be in order to use it to place cups and glasses? One I'm looking at is 38" square with a 9 inch table portion running around the outside. Is that wide enough to comfortably use it? Or is it too close to the flames?

Any suggestions on where to buy?

Any features that are must-have? I noticed some have a clear glass window screen.

Thanks!

Images
  • IMG_2377.JPG
28 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10695 posts
5995 upvotes
Paris
I have a Napoleon Patio Flame (round version) used stand alone which is often in fire tables. Most of the heat is cast UP (and away) and kind of useless, so its the logs that heat up. I can put my feet darn near in the thing on the sides to get them warm. I would imagine if you left a can of beer on the edge the whole night it would get too warm to drink but otherwise you would be fine.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2376 posts
531 upvotes
pdksca wrote: Looking to purchase a standalone, propane fuelled the fire table. Would appreciate feedback on a couple of questions:

How wide should the area around the actual fire be in order to use it to place cups and glasses? One I'm looking at is 38" square with a 9 inch table portion running around the outside. Is that wide enough to comfortably use it? Or is it too close to the flames?

Any suggestions on where to buy?

Any features that are must-have? I noticed some have a clear glass window screen.

Thanks!

we just bought one similar to your pic at Rona, not an expensive model. We have used it a few times, don't put our drinks on the corners but have touched it, and it's not overly hot. Just not sure I would leave a drink near it.

As for musts, do not use the lava rocks that come with these. Have a look around and buy the glass. They look better and don't fall apart like the standard ones do
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4055 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
I have the one pictured below from Lowes... the surround is like a pre-cast concrete/fibreglass. The surface doesn't get hot... perhaps warm to the touch,

Agree with the previous post in that avoid using the lava rocks at all cost... not only do they look like crap, they carry the risk of absorbing gas (since they are porus) and possibly exploding. I priced out the glass pretty much everywhere in the GTA and many online stores... and quite frankly they are ALL a huge rip-off. So, I went straight to the source, contacted a manufacturer in China off of Alibaba.com and they sent me an 80 lbs "sample" of crushed glass in any colour of my choosing. I actually ordered 40 lbs of 2 different colours, and mixed them myself in my pit. They shipped it via FedEx and received it in 2 days to my front door... actually the FedEx delivery guy helped me bring it to my backyard!!

Oh, and make sure that you get TEMPERED glass, as it will withstand the heat a lot better and not pop out of your pit as non-tempered would. Also, another hint is that propane tends to discolour glass moreso than natural gas, so go with darker-coloured glass... I ordered 2 different hues of blue glass. Whereby I place the solid navy blue pieces on top of the flame bar, and a clear tropical blue with mirror backing around the perimeter. So now, when my flame is going, it looks like I have flames coming out of a pool of water and the light from the flames bounces off the mirrored pieces so nicely... I can stare at it for hours.

[OP]
Apr 10, 2008
151 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Excellent insight! Thanks everybody.
[OP]
Apr 10, 2008
151 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Repooc wrote: I have the one pictured below from Lowes... I ordered 2 different hues of blue glass. Whereby I place the solid navy blue pieces on top of the flame bar, and a clear tropical blue with mirror backing around the perimeter. So now, when my flame is going, it looks like I have flames coming out of a pool of water and the light from the flames bounces off the mirrored pieces so nicely... I can stare at it for hours.

Gorgeous, by the way.

Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1805 posts
512 upvotes
pdksca wrote: Gorgeous, by the way.

Ya i got mine from lowes also, ill post a pic when i get home and i actually painted mine a few times ( every year i change the colour of my fireplace table to give the backyard a new focal point) i got mine for around 600 but it was there last one and reguarly around 800 or so.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4055 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
Found a pic of me roasting a marshmallow over my fire pit last summer.

You can see how beautiful the crushed glass looks with the mixture of the two blue hues.

When it's completely dark outside, the flame just dances off of the reflections.
tmp_12400-20160610_193502_HDR823855468.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1805 posts
512 upvotes
Here is my setup i got the glass around the flame on mine, i just repaint the base to a fresh colour ever few years its hard piped to the house propane as well as the bbq . But i also got a 4 chair fitpit table that you can eat by with a propane flame pretty awesome to.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4055 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
shawn01 wrote: Here is my setup i got the glass around the flame on mine, i just repaint the base to a fresh colour ever few years its hard piped to the house propane as well as the bbq . But i also got a 4 chair fitpit table that you can eat by with a propane flame pretty awesome to.
holy crap... how big is your lot?!? Do you live in the GTA?
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1805 posts
512 upvotes
Repooc wrote: holy crap... how big is your lot?!? Do you live in the GTA?
No its out in durham region, its on 10 acres. Love waking up to 20 birds bathing in the pond on a saturday morning lol Image
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4055 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
shawn01 wrote: No its out in durham region, its on 10 acres. Love waking up to 20 birds bathing in the pond on a saturday morning lol
LOL.... I live in Durham Region too (Whitby).... backing onto a protected ravine... but I'd take 10 acres any day. Beautiful!!

I take it you're further North? Ashburn? Uxbridge? Claremont?
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1805 posts
512 upvotes
Repooc wrote:
LOL.... I live in Durham Region too (Whitby).... backing onto a protected ravine... but I'd take 10 acres any day. Beautiful!!

I take it you're further North? Ashburn? Uxbridge? Claremont?
Bowmanville behind the walmart and canadian tire, ive had a realtor come over and first thing she said i have buyers intrested already hahah of course you do, she didnt want to put it on the market but sell to her friends ya and nope lol i want to make the most money hahha as does everyone else . Seperate 150' shop is what people really like, the gf has her house i have mine lol (shes says your in the dog house im like beautiful its bigger and warmer in my shop anyways hahah ). Another shot of the propane firepit table inside shop garage in the winter i just hook it up to a portable propane tank.Image]Your text to link here...[/url]Image]Your text to link here...[/url]
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4055 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
wowzers.... that's amazing!! All you're missing is a lift!!
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2376 posts
531 upvotes
Repooc wrote: Found a pic of me roasting a marshmallow over my fire pit last summer.

You can see how beautiful the crushed glass looks with the mixture of the two blue hues.

When it's completely dark outside, the flame just dances off of the reflections.tmp_12400-20160610_193502_HDR823855468.jpg
looks great! You got this for free off of alibaba? Link to this style you chose by chance?
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4055 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
redsfan wrote: looks great! You got this for free off of alibaba? Link to this style you chose by chance?
Definitely not free... I paid $348 USD all in ($51 for 80lbs of product and $297 FedEx 2day shipping from China)... didn't have to pay any duties when it was delivered. Keep in mind these guys usually ship their product by the ton/container full. So 80 lbs of product is very much considered a "sample" for them.

Protip: order it in the 1/2" size (instead if 1/4")... the larger glass pieces allow for more surface area (especially if you get mirrored backing) to reflect more light from the flame.

Even with the crazy shipping charges, I still came out WAY ahead than if I were to buy 80 lbs of fire pit glass locally or order from an online vendor in North America with shipping,

I used a company called Langfang Ruoke Glass Co., Ltd.

Here's a link to their Alibaba product page:
https://ruokeglass.en.alibaba.com/produ ... Glass.html

Hope this helps!
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4055 posts
1554 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: Does the heat help keep mosquitos away?
Moderately... But I always have citronella candles going at the same time. The downside of backing into a ravine are the extra mosquitos.