Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Fire TV Stick Lite with Alexa Voice Remote Lite (no TV controls) | HD streaming device | 2020 release $34.99

Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13599 posts
7321 upvotes
Southern Ontario
It's more convenient to have the one with TV controls, you only need to use the FireStick remote which controls power and volume too.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13599 posts
7321 upvotes
Southern Ontario
googlebot wrote: 4k stick was 35 at 2019 Black Friday.
Why 4K stick over 2020 HD stick w TV controls if it’ll always be on a 1080p TV? Was cheaper as well BF
Jul 11, 2018
21 posts
25 upvotes
cheers2 wrote: No access to Bell Fibe which is available on Roku.
Bell Fibe works fine on this, I'm using it as we speak. The app is in the Amazon Appstore.
Jun 5, 2007
253 posts
183 upvotes
Shangri-La
hackett40 wrote: its the other way...bell fibe app is available on firestick but not on roku
You are correct
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3768 posts
3128 upvotes
No Bum Deals
Spend the little extra and get the 4k when it's on sale. Much more functional remote and future proofed for a little while yet.
🢂 2x Koodo 35/10 - 1x Koodo 35/7 - 1x Fido Data 0/3 🢀
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2010
3543 posts
1515 upvotes
Netuser wrote: this or chromecast from google, both will work
Do I still need to buy a Fire Stick or Chromecast if it's a Fire TV? I'm just trying to cast my Amazon Fire HD 8 (10th generation) tablet to one of my TV's. Apparently, this newer Amazon tablet got rid of the "mirroring" option in the settings. Bummer!
Sep 23, 2018
48 posts
55 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Thank you, in for one.

I have a chrome cast and Apple TV 3rd Gen already. I am only getting this for Spotify. The quality of music that comes out from this is higher than that of chrome cast, and my Apple TV is too old to have the Spotify app so I was always just air playing music which was annoying cause any other sound from my iPhone would get played on my speakers as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3601 posts
1877 upvotes
Halifax
Mr_Fanta wrote: Do I still need to buy a Fire Stick or Chromecast if it's a Fire TV? I'm just trying to cast my Amazon Fire HD 8 (10th generation) tablet to one of my TV's. Apparently, this newer Amazon tablet got rid of the "mirroring" option in the settings. Bummer!
The fire tv stick has a Chromecast app you can install to make you able to cast onto your fire tv stick. It is a bit janky, but it works
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
1366 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
I received and set this up today and it's really cool even without any hacking/sideloading. Granted, I've not used a media box since those Patriot boxes were popular.

Probably get one for my 2nd TV now.
=============
Heatware
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2552 posts
2782 upvotes
The 4K stick that I've had for about 2 years is starting to be pretty sluggish with Netflix, IPTV and DAZN, and crashes once in a while. It's still not bothersome enough, but I'll probably opt for the Cube next time its on sale.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13599 posts
7321 upvotes
Southern Ontario
thelasthunter wrote: The 4K stick that I've had for about 2 years is starting to be pretty sluggish with Netflix, IPTV and DAZN, and crashes once in a while. It's still not bothersome enough, but I'll probably opt for the Cube next time its on sale.
ya if you're running the latter 2 apps, you might want the Cube with the fastest bench scores.

The 2020 FireStick3/Lite is def faster than than the FireStick2 sold boxing day before this one (I had both and really noticed it, 2 won't load our Ring video doorbell properly). I'm not running IPTV or DAZN though and it's plenty slick, no Cube needed for us.
Feb 27, 2009
842 posts
607 upvotes
Anyone use apk with fire cube ? Any comment of cube vs stick 4K for apk usage?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13599 posts
7321 upvotes
Southern Ontario
yellman wrote: Anyone use apk with fire cube ? Any comment of cube vs stick 4K for apk usage?
What do you mean by apk? I've got sideloaded apk's on ours and they work fine, fast.
Feb 27, 2007
402 posts
153 upvotes
Montreal
googlebot wrote: 4k stick was 35 at 2019 Black Friday.
pooper wrote: Spend the little extra and get the 4k when it's on sale. Much more functional remote and future proofed for a little while yet.
The 4k stick is from 2018. We don't need 4k and for "future proof", I'd rather wait for next sales.

The regular Fire Stick 3 (2020) was ~$35 when first came out few months ago (Lite version was $29.99), but I was busy with other projects. The remote has added buttons for volume control (vs. Lite), and there's additional function in ~equalize~ sound of advertisements which is important for us. My better half is always complaining about advertisements being too loud.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13599 posts
7321 upvotes
Southern Ontario
MontrealPost wrote: The 4k stick is from 2018. We don't need 4k and for "future proof", I'd rather wait for next sales.

The regular Fire Stick 3 (2020) was ~$35 when first came out few months ago (Lite version was $29.99), but I was busy with other projects. The remote has added buttons for volume control (vs. Lite), and there's additional function in ~equalize~ sound of advertisements which is important for us. My better half is always complaining about advertisements being too loud.
Agree, I wouldn't bother with OP's version as it lacks TV controls. The few times you need the native TV remote anymore is if you're running OTA channels. Just use the FireStick remote from now on for volume and power. You can even call the TV off from an Echo device on another floor because power is linked.

And if you want, install Wolf Launcher to simplify the home screen = no more Amazon home screen, ads, and vid suggestions. You can also install DNS AdGuard within the YouTuber's FileLinked code to eliminate ads within apps.

How:

Ours in the kitchen:

One more tip, if you have a Ring doorbell or Wyze cams, you can get it to show on your FireStick, that means on any TV in the house, small or big that has a FireStick attached to it... by setting up a Routine on any of your Echo's. For instance, someone presses your doorbell or your Wyze cam detects a person, it'll show on your TV, with interactive voice on the remote. Skip buying tiny Echo Shows.

Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
3768 posts
3128 upvotes
No Bum Deals
MontrealPost wrote: The 4k stick is from 2018. We don't need 4k and for "future proof", I'd rather wait for next sales.
By future proofing I meant when you replace your 1080p TV for a 4k, then you will be happy you bought a streamer that will work properly.
We have one 1080p TV left in the family and that is being used by my youngest with an old hacked up FireTV (non 4k). When that TV goes bang, he will get a 4k TV and the streaming device will become essentially redundant.
Plus controlling the volume without having to juggle 2 remotes is worth spending the extra 20 bucks alone. Every time you have to grab the other remote to adjust the vol (find it first) you will be reminded you really didn't have to go that route. Infuriating IMO.
Each to their own of course.....
🢂 2x Koodo 35/10 - 1x Koodo 35/7 - 1x Fido Data 0/3 🢀
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13599 posts
7321 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I don't think there's a right answer. Users should self-evaluate what they need.

I bought two 2020 non4K FireSticks with TV controls, I don't plan to replace our 1080p TV's until they break down, by then a new 4K FireTV device with better benchmarks will be on the market, I'll just sell the old sticks like I did my FireStick2, sale was fast because lots still have lower res TV's and don't care about CPU.

I would agree in future proofing if a 4K TV purchase is imminent. Our main TV is 4K, but it's already running Sony AndroidTV so does not need a FireTV.

It's also confusing because there are so many versions.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9996 posts
2414 upvotes
Winnipeg
thelasthunter wrote: The 4K stick that I've had for about 2 years is starting to be pretty sluggish with Netflix, IPTV and DAZN, and crashes once in a while. It's still not bothersome enough, but I'll probably opt for the Cube next time its on sale.
Factory default it and start from scratch. It might be running out of space and it gets sluggish when it fills up. Best to put sideload apps like kodi on a usb drive and let it fill up that. Just use a cheap right angle usb adapter. That said the new firmware on the the last version or firestick 3 is quicker than the 4k. Probably due the newer linux kernel and fixes in gui. But the new menu is coming to all devices soon enough.
pooper wrote: By future proofing I meant when you replace your 1080p TV for a 4k, then you will be happy you bought a streamer that will work properly.
We have one 1080p TV left in the family and that is being used by my youngest with an old hacked up FireTV (non 4k). When that TV goes bang, he will get a 4k TV and the streaming device will become essentially redundant.
Plus controlling the volume without having to juggle 2 remotes is worth spending the extra 20 bucks alone. Every time you have to grab the other remote to adjust the vol (find it first) you will be reminded you really didn't have to go that route. Infuriating IMO.
Each to their own of course.....
you also need the isp package to support 4k streaming on a lot of 4k tv's. i bought the the 1080p for my kids as they leave their tv's running and streaming HD youtube and downloading,web chats etc for their consoles its annoying for everyone else as they needlessly suck the bandwidth. So with 1080p only firetv's. I force it regardless what app they use. LOL