• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2022 8:56 pm
Jan 20, 2019
444 posts
779 upvotes
BigBrother0 wrote: Really? I haven't seen a capacity greater than 5 rounds. If it was a 'pistol' mags then it should have 10 rounds cause it fits in a pistol?????
That's right.
Mar 28, 2019
107 posts
291 upvotes
Rangeview have the Nikon P-Tacical 3-9*40 rifle scope on sale. With it being tax free this takes off close too $100 off the price. Only down side is they don't offer free shipping so might as well make it worth while and pick up a few things ;)

The MOA recitals aren't very common at this price range and being Nikon quality glass this would still be considered a premium scope. I'm not sure how their warranty will hold up as they're discontinuing their rifle scopes.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nik ... 1-moa.html
[external advertising not allowed]
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3053 posts
1701 upvotes
Kingston
I thought it was just handguns that were tax free. Where did you see the tax free offer?
Mar 28, 2019
107 posts
291 upvotes
smallwavesteve wrote: Agreed, megathreads suck for non item specific deals. They could do a "controversial items" or 18+ items sub forum or something since things like tobacco, cannabis and adult toy related products all turn into derailed gongshows and just roll them all into one fun one-stop shop category!
Yeah I wasn't even aware until my scope thread was merged in here. Guess it's the back of the bus for us if we don't share the same views. Sigh...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5094 posts
7196 upvotes
Vancouver
TheKnee wrote: Yeah I wasn't even aware until my scope thread was merged in here. Guess it's the back of the bus for us if we don't share the same views. Sigh...
We shouldn't be melting snowflakes, eh..! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Dec 25, 2003
530 posts
520 upvotes
Saskatoon
Ruger RPR

$100 off on the Ruger Precision, RPR. 22LR
$599 free ship plus 1 entry into a draw for scope and other prizes.

This is a bolt action rimfire. I was considering this vs the GSG-16, I chose the RPR because of the +$50 price increase of the GSG-16 and I would like maximum accuracy (200-300 yrds max)
Images
  • ruger_8401_precision_22lr[1].jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3053 posts
1701 upvotes
Kingston
realBIGmike wrote: Ruger RPR

$100 off on the Ruger Precision, RPR. 22LR
$599 free ship plus 1 entry into a draw for scope and other prizes.

This is a bolt action rimfire. I was considering this vs the GSG-16, I chose the RPR because of the +$50 price increase of the GSG-16 and I would like maximum accuracy (200-300 yrds max)
I have both. The GSG is surprisingly accurate out to a fair distance. The RPR is great but mine has a small issue with the ruger magazines (need to press on bottom of magazine to get cartridge to load properly) but zero issues with the butler metal lipped magazines (highly recommended). The RPR is a heavy sucker, especially with a bipod but it’s really accurate depending on what you feed it!

Edit: you’re probably going to need to spend the same amount as the rifle (or more) on a good scope and rings to get the best performance out of it!)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5094 posts
7196 upvotes
Vancouver
JC69 wrote: I have both. The GSG is surprisingly accurate out to a fair distance. The RPR is great but mine has a small issue with the ruger magazines (need to press on bottom of magazine to get cartridge to load properly) but zero issues with the butler metal lipped magazines (highly recommended). The RPR is a heavy sucker, especially with a bipod but it’s really accurate depending on what you feed it!

Edit: you’re probably going to need to spend the same amount as the rifle (or more) on a good scope and rings to get the best performance out of it!)
What's the max magazine one can use on RPR? 10-shot? Is there anything larger?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3053 posts
1701 upvotes
Kingston
max011 wrote: What's the max magazine one can use on RPR? 10-shot? Is there anything larger?
Yes but it doesn’t work all the time, you can use a 3D printed adapter (legal) from Spectre ballistics I think that uses Savage magazines that are larger capacity. I have this and don’t use it anymore as there were issues with it for me. You may have better luck. With a bolt action like the RPR I find 10 is fine though.

Edit: actually my issues with this were with a 10/22 not the RPR. I haven’t tried it with the RPR as I found no need. The RPR is really a target shooting rig rather than a hunting/gopher rig as it’s heavy but I guess you could use it for hunting rig with an adapter for more rounds.
Mar 28, 2019
107 posts
291 upvotes
JC69 wrote: Yes but it doesn’t work all the time, you can use a 3D printed adapter (legal) from Spectre ballistics I think that uses Savage magazines that are larger capacity. I have this and don’t use it anymore as there were issues with it for me. You may have better luck. With a bolt action like the RPR I find 10 is fine though.

Edit: actually my issues with this were with a 10/22 not the RPR. I haven’t tried it with the RPR as I found no need. The RPR is really a target shooting rig rather than a hunting/gopher rig as it’s heavy but I guess you could use it for hunting rig with an adapter for more rounds.
Yeah, those adapters seem to be hit and miss. I'd suggest sticking with the BX10 from Ruger and getting a tri-mag adapter.

On a side note, I'd suggest checking out "Canada Gun Deals" on reddit. 2.8K members and way easier to navigate than the megathread.
Dec 25, 2003
530 posts
520 upvotes
Saskatoon
I got the new version of the Spectre Ballistics adapter and of the 2 black (not clear) mags from their site. I have only tried them one day in a 10/22 but no issues. Looking forward to trying it in when the new RPR arrives. That was one of the reasons I chose it over the GSG (which has $100 drum mag) since I already spent the $100 for 2 mags and adapter. The mags are a bit long on the 10/22, kind of clumsy for benching in the scope zero.

Thanks for the feedback on the GSG! It looks cool and fun. I went with the cheaper 10/22 which kind of scratches that itch for me, and the RPR scratches the rest. That covers the full range of 22LR for me, not including pistols.
Have you guys tried the chinese scopes? "visionking" are the high end of the chinese scopes and arent really cheap like the others. Thinking of trying one on the RPR and hopefully it will be good enough if I graduate up to a 338 lapua RPR later.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3053 posts
1701 upvotes
Kingston
realBIGmike wrote: I got the new version of the Spectre Ballistics adapter and of the 2 black (not clear) mags from their site. I have only tried them one day in a 10/22 but no issues. Looking forward to trying it in when the new RPR arrives. That was one of the reasons I chose it over the GSG (which has $100 drum mag) since I already spent the $100 for 2 mags and adapter. The mags are a bit long on the 10/22, kind of clumsy for benching in the scope zero.

Thanks for the feedback on the GSG! It looks cool and fun. I went with the cheaper 10/22 which kind of scratches that itch for me, and the RPR scratches the rest. That covers the full range of 22LR for me, not including pistols.
Have you guys tried the chinese scopes? "visionking" are the high end of the chinese scopes and arent really cheap like the others. Thinking of trying one on the RPR and hopefully it will be good enough if I graduate up to a 338 lapua RPR later.
I have a 10/22 as well. So I have all the mentioned rifles and they all do slightly different things. The 10/22 is a capable semi auto that I have mainly for Maple Seed type things (if I get to enrol in one!). The RPR is a great bolt action and the GSG is a fun plinker. The 10/22 is very customizable so that’s an introduction to customizing your gear too. They all wear different optics too so that helps you get used to different types. The RPR has a first focal plane powerful 8-34 scope on it, the 10/22 has a 3-9 and the GSG has a 4x prism illuminated reticle scope.

I would get the best scope you can afford. You can move them to other rifles if you upgrade. I have an Athlon scope I imported from the UK that was several hundred dollars cheaper than buying it here. Also look at quality used scopes too before you look at cheaper ones. You’ll get frustrated if you lose zero or can’t see your target properly as the reticle isn't any good and the glass is too unclear.

Learning to use the scope and dial in for different distances is part of the fun for me so I will only buy exposed turret scopes from now on. Parallax adjustment is also pretty handy. I’m no pro..I’m still learning but it’s fun.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1001 posts
1216 upvotes
NB
Cabela's has a decent deal on pistol ammo: 9 mm 115 grain Barnaul $9.99. $200 per 1000 is pretty good.

Note:
1. This is steel cased ammo, non reloadable
2. Barnaul primers are harder than most, should not be a problem with stock guns, but soft aftermarket hammer springs will likely result in light primer strikes.
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"
Mar 28, 2019
107 posts
291 upvotes
Yeah they also have 30% off their own branded scopes. These seem to be popular budget option for the long range rim fire groups.

These seem to go on sale a few times a year so I'll try to compare these in store to see the lens quality for myself.

https://www.cabelas.ca/category/riflesc ... CABELA%27S
Dec 25, 2003
530 posts
520 upvotes
Saskatoon
For the money I am thinking of getting a rimfire capable scope from China. More bang for the buck. They even has some expensive VisionKing ones which have good reviews. I
Aliexpress

I would bet you get much more value for the money although these are not the low end scopes. I did buy a low end one for $30 CDN and haven't used it yet but it looks ok except at the highest magnification the glass-etched reticle goes out of focus.

Question: Are glass etched reticles always the lowest option?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3053 posts
1701 upvotes
Kingston
realBIGmike wrote: For the money I am thinking of getting a rimfire capable scope from China. More bang for the buck. They even has some expensive VisionKing ones which have good reviews. I
Aliexpress

I would bet you get much more value for the money although these are not the low end scopes. I did buy a low end one for $30 CDN and haven't used it yet but it looks ok except at the highest magnification the glass-etched reticle goes out of focus.

Question: Are glass etched reticles always the lowest option?
Look at importing from Europe ...it can save you a lot of cash.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)