• Last Updated:
  • May 22nd, 2022 12:30 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
2178 posts
5055 upvotes
That's decently priced. Thanks!
Gibsons wrote: If you are going to start IDPA or other shooting competition, it might be in your best interest to get into reloading. There is an upfront cost, but if you are going to buy factory ammo and shoot it by the caseload, your pocket will be pretty angry. High volume shooters usually start reloading to save money.

I realize the prices fluctuate greatly, maybe a current reloader can attest to the savings.
I don't need another hobby lol
Dec 25, 2003
530 posts
520 upvotes
Saskatoon
I know this is a tricky Q but how much $$$ per /hour of work can you save by reloading ammo in these crazy covid price times? To simplify this question, let's not include obscure calibers, stick to 22LR, 9mm, 7.62x39mm, .308, 12ga please.

I understand there are benefits of customizing your ammo for precision or competition shooting but I am just trying to get an idea if reloading is worth it for a novice. Don't include the machine cost ( ~ $600), let's just assume it will hold it's value and focus on the $/hour. Since it is a hobby, forget the learning curve time spent also- just focusing on the basement/workshop labor time. I am trying to get a ballpark idea.

In 2014 USA, I found this, "there is typically a cost savings, but not if you want to pay yourself a minimum wage of $10.00 per hour."
Aug 6, 2019
130 posts
392 upvotes
realBIGmike wrote: I know this is a tricky Q but how much $$$ per /hour of work can you save by reloading ammo in these crazy covid price times? To simplify this question, let's not include obscure calibers, stick to 22LR, 9mm, 7.62x39mm, .308, 12ga please.

I understand there are benefits of customizing your ammo for precision or competition shooting but I am just trying to get an idea if reloading is worth it for a novice. Don't include the machine cost ( ~ $600), let's just assume it will hold it's value and focus on the $/hour. Since it is a hobby, forget the learning curve time spent also- just focusing on the basement/workshop labor time. I am trying to get a ballpark idea.

In 2014 USA, I found this, "there is typically a cost savings, but not if you want to pay yourself a minimum wage of $10.00 per hour."
I think the best way to say this is that If time is worth that much to you, then reloading is not for you. Even for precision, i bet there are very few folks that can pump out consistent match grade ammo like hornady. The folks that do this have the same mindset of making sauce from scratch. The folks i know who reload treat it almost like meditation; throw on some music or a podcast, or just hide from the wife and kids for a few hours.

if you really want speed, there are semi automatic/fully automatic reloading setups that effectively turn you into a small ammo mfg lol. You dont save money getting into reloading, you just shoot more ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1004 posts
1218 upvotes
NB
A progressive press will crank 400-700 pistol rounds per hour. After adding case cleaning, prep and setup time, you would be looking at 2000 rounds for a day session, give or take.

Savings depend on the caliber. But the key here is the ability to customize the load characteristics.

On topic: Bullseye North has crazy deal on Vihtavuori powders. N320 is only $47 per 0.5 kg bottle, with free shipping on orders $200 and up.
"Stuff should not be multiplied without necessity"
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
2894 posts
2152 upvotes
Southern Ontario
schmeerskahoven wrote: I think the best way to say this is that If time is worth that much to you, then reloading is not for you. Even for precision, i bet there are very few folks that can pump out consistent match grade ammo like hornady. The folks that do this have the same mindset of making sauce from scratch. The folks i know who reload treat it almost like meditation; throw on some music or a podcast, or just hide from the wife and kids for a few hours.

if you really want speed, there are semi automatic/fully automatic reloading setups that effectively turn you into a small ammo mfg lol. You dont save money getting into reloading, you just shoot more ;)
You'd be surprised on how well people can reload. Also, those Hornady match grade boxes go for a pretty penny. Most likely any reloader (with practice) could get close to that level at half the price of buying it from the store. So it depends on your volume, if it's worth it to you.

I had 32acp brass when I had my Skorpion and didn't get into reloading. I sold the gun and someone bought the brass.
May 26, 2005
899 posts
702 upvotes
GVRD
realBIGmike wrote: I know this is a tricky Q but how much $$$ per /hour of work can you save by reloading ammo in these crazy covid price times? To simplify this question, let's not include obscure calibers, stick to 22LR, 9mm, 7.62x39mm, .308, 12ga please.

IMO if you're not going to do it for more obscure calibers, for competitive precision rifle, or something more specific, the cost of reloading is close to break-even not counting your time. You can find deals on those ammo calibers you listed, and that makes the value proposition of reloading much less than if you were doing .300 Win, .338 Lapua or something less common - .32ACP as mentioned below.

22LR can't be reloaded, 12GA flats aren't that much for skeet/trap, and surplus 7.62x39mm is still cheap. 9mm can still be had for good deals, especially if you have a local reloader like I do, and I'm not familiar enough with .308 to comment.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
2178 posts
5055 upvotes
schmeerskahoven wrote: The folks i know who reload treat it almost like meditation; throw on some music or a podcast, or just hide from the wife and kids for a few hours.
I'm pretty sure that's why my buddy reloads.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1270 posts
136 upvotes
Beamsville

for a rough idea enter some numbers
https://x-reload.com/load-cost

these are based on last years prices when I bought components

9mm $8.30/50 $165.97/1000
45ACP $12.45/50 $248.96/1000

Both those numbers are based on using "free" Brass since I picked up all my brass when shooting and saved it for when I decide to start reloading.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3058 posts
1728 upvotes
Kingston
I reload .223 .357 mag and .38 spl. Because of the price increases I also got 9mm dies too. .22lr and 12 gauge is still cheap enough. I just have a hand turret press. Make a box of 50 here and there. It’s quite relaxing.
Jul 18, 2007
228 posts
322 upvotes
Markham
CrimeMasterGoGo wrote: Is this a good deal on 9mm ammo?

https://alflahertys.com/sellier-bellot- ... ab-reviews

If not, what should be the ideal price to look for?
340/1000rds seems to be the going good rate for S&B 124gr 9mm

FOC is listing for the same price, some vendors listing higher

if you can find PMC it's usually a little less than even S&B, and it has always gone bang for me, although I usually just get whatever is brass and on a deal
Dec 25, 2003
530 posts
520 upvotes
Saskatoon
https://www.gotenda.com/product/cci-bla ... e-of-1000/

Tenda has CCI Blazer 9mm Ammunition 115 Grains FMJ Case Of 1000 $309.99
In stock, Limit of 2. I think you can get free shipping over $350? Looks non-reloadable.

And here is a cheap gun if you need something to shoot that ammo:
https://www.gotenda.com/product/tara-tm ... istol-9mm/
$279.99
In stock

If you have 2k$ to burn, these look like a blast:
https://www.gotenda.com/product/dp-12-d ... -12ga-odg/
Specifications and Features:
* 12 Gauge
* Two 18 7/8″ barrels
* 16 Round capacity, 14 rounds in the magazines and two rounds in the chamber
May 14, 2013
253 posts
551 upvotes
realBIGmike wrote: https://www.gotenda.com/product/cci-bla ... e-of-1000/

Tenda has CCI Blazer 9mm Ammunition 115 Grains FMJ Case Of 1000 $309.99
In stock, Limit of 2. I think you can get free shipping over $350? Looks non-reloadable.

And here is a cheap gun if you need something to shoot that ammo:
https://www.gotenda.com/product/tara-tm ... istol-9mm/
$279.99
In stock

If you have 2k$ to burn, these look like a blast:
https://www.gotenda.com/product/dp-12-d ... -12ga-odg/
Specifications and Features:
* 12 Gauge
* Two 18 7/8″ barrels
* 16 Round capacity, 14 rounds in the magazines and two rounds in the chamber
Tenda has “free shipping” over $300. Just be aware that recently revised shipping qualifications mean many places that used to get free shipping are now charged an additional “remote” shipping charge. Canpar doesn’t ship anything firearm related anymore, so ammo is UPS only. I used to be free shipping, the new remote charge added about $8 to a case of 9mm. But I’m not really remote, other people have reported much higher add on shipping costs. You won’t know the additional cost until about a week or more when Tenda emails you and asks if you will approve the additional charge or cancel the order.
Canada Post is also more expensive now for long guns which triggers additional Tenda charges. A 10/22 that had free shipping got an extra oversized $17 shipping charge tacked on.
Just a buyer be aware type thing, Tenda has extra shipping costs now and they get passed on to the consumer. So when you’re expecting an “order shipped” email in 7-10 days, it’s actually a “approve extra charge” email. Then you wait another few days for processing before it’s actually shipped.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
2894 posts
2152 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Bartred wrote: Tenda has “free shipping” over $300. Just be aware that recently revised shipping qualifications mean many places that used to get free shipping are now charged an additional “remote” shipping charge. Canpar doesn’t ship anything firearm related anymore, so ammo is UPS only. I used to be free shipping, the new remote charge added about $8 to a case of 9mm. But I’m not really remote, other people have reported much higher add on shipping costs. You won’t know the additional cost until about a week or more when Tenda emails you and asks if you will approve the additional charge or cancel the order.
Canada Post is also more expensive now for long guns which triggers additional Tenda charges. A 10/22 that had free shipping got an extra oversized $17 shipping charge tacked on.
Just a buyer be aware type thing, Tenda has extra shipping costs now and they get passed on to the consumer. So when you’re expecting an “order shipped” email in 7-10 days, it’s actually a “approve extra charge” email. Then you wait another few days for processing before it’s actually shipped.
This must be new, haven't experienced that before. Just saw that Canpar dumped anything Firearm related. Were they the bright ones that left a shotgun on the wrong porch?

Times are changing and CP cranked up their rates this January, pretty significantly. Retailers will most likely just not offer "Free Shipping" anymore as it's not really "Free" if there are fees attached to it.

This is one of the reasons why I hated Cabelas, they give you a "Free Shipping" code then if you buy a rifle, there is an Oversize fee + they force you to buy a lock and such. Looks like this might be the norm for the little guys after they adjust.

Oh well, that's inflation. Everything is going up nowadays, my Neighbour was going to build a fence - until he found out the new cost. Looks like no fence this year Face Screaming In Fear
Feb 24, 2020
160 posts
284 upvotes
Montreal
Gibsons wrote: This must be new, haven't experienced that before. Just saw that Canpar dumped anything Firearm related. Were they the bright ones that left a shotgun on the wrong porch?

Times are changing and CP cranked up their rates this January, pretty significantly. Retailers will most likely just not offer "Free Shipping" anymore as it's not really "Free" if there are fees attached to it.

This is one of the reasons why I hated Cabelas, they give you a "Free Shipping" code then if you buy a rifle, there is an Oversize fee + they force you to buy a lock and such. Looks like this might be the norm for the little guys after they adjust.

Oh well, that's inflation. Everything is going up nowadays, my Neighbour was going to build a fence - until he found out the new cost. Looks like no fence this year Face Screaming In Fear
Looks like NFA is working to restore canpar service.
Screenshot_20210607-145414_DuckDuckGo.jpg