• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2020 11:19 pm
May 1, 2020
3 posts
10 upvotes
great gun.

They had a much better deal few months ago though.

I picked it up for 329.99 plus a $50 USD mail in rebate from Savage.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2008
1137 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
dood604 wrote: great gun.

They had a much better deal few months ago though.

I picked it up for 329.99 plus a $50 USD mail in rebate from Savage.
Was that deal posted on RFD?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1968 posts
1021 upvotes
Vancouveresque
How do they get away with selling a 25 round mag, anyways? Is it just bolted at 10 or something?
Feb 22, 2020
72 posts
163 upvotes
Winnipeg
GeeCee wrote: How do they get away with selling a 25 round mag, anyways? Is it just bolted at 10 or something?
Rimfire doesn't have mag limits (except for 10/22s because of a BS RCMP interpretation of the law). You can have 100 round drums if you want. The mag limit only applies to center-fire semi-auto rifles.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
3108 posts
1129 upvotes
Vancouver
Darn, I wish I got this instead of my Marlin 795. Would've been a perfect intro set.

Thanks for posting!
Nov 30, 2015
84 posts
88 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
So for a complete beginner to firearms (aside from pellet guns which don't count), what do I have to do to be able to walk in and buy a gun like this? I assume there's a course to take and licensing. What kind of costs can I expect, and at the end of it all, where can I even use my new gun?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2685 posts
968 upvotes
Kingston
GroverTime wrote: So for a complete beginner to firearms (aside from pellet guns which don't count), what do I have to do to be able to walk in and buy a gun like this? I assume there's a course to take and licensing. What kind of costs can I expect, and at the end of it all, where can I even use my new gun?
You need a PAL and this is a non restricted firearm so crown land, gun ranges, buddy’s farmland etc.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4218 posts
890 upvotes
GroverTime wrote: So for a complete beginner to firearms (aside from pellet guns which don't count), what do I have to do to be able to walk in and buy a gun like this? I assume there's a course to take and licensing. What kind of costs can I expect, and at the end of it all, where can I even use my new gun?
You need to take a firearms course then pass the test . Then apply for you license . When it gets approved you can buy a rifle . Usually a few months before you can actually buy one .
Sep 7, 2018
485 posts
345 upvotes
They are so backed up that you won't get licensed for a year
Apr 21, 2012
403 posts
522 upvotes
Ontario
If I had a gun it would likely be this guy. I can't believe how cheap they are.
Jun 28, 2019
65 posts
130 upvotes
Uranus
Here's the link to the RCMP's sit with all info and application details:
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/licensing

First, there's a mandatory safety course, usually offered by a lot of ranges. For just PAL (non restricted) expect maybe $150ish, for PAL & RPAL (restricted) $300ish for a full weekend covering both usually. You only need the PAL for this firearm though.

The application, you need background checks, including some mental health history, references, and it was $80 around the time I did it (not too long ago) plus a passport photo. Check out the application on their site. Doesn't hurt to start going through it.

Expect the process to potentially take months, even more now.

Then like others said, you can use it at ranges and only when safe on certain private or designated property.

It can be a fairly expensive hobby, especially after you jump through all the hoops required for compliance. Safety courses, gun licenses, safe, trigger locks, hunting licenses (if you wanna actually hunt lol), projectiles, accessories, it all adds up pretty quick!