Firearm Deals Megathread

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 7:30 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
redmondflagger wrote: Be aware that these are pretty much junk. The red dot is clearly visible through the front lens.
Even with my various expensive vortex scopes, you can see the red dot through the front lens.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5280 posts
4939 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Bartred wrote: Wanstalls is 10% off with code pewpew10

This was in my cart but $66 shipping killed it for me. My credit card rejoices.

https://wanstallsonline.com/firearms/ti ... -hmr-20in/
Wanstalls usually sucks for any type of good deal... either the price is too high and/or the shipping is high. Back a few years ago they used to be more reasonable but I guess they didn't want to work as hard then are selling fewer units at higher prices. I guess a lot of Gun owners don't shop around that much.

Just like the local gun shop with non-competitive pricing, I always wondered how they competed with huge online stores... it's the same way.
BDSL wrote: Even with my various expensive vortex scopes, you can see the red dot through the front lens.
Vortex is a budget scope. It's no Zeiss or Schmidt and Bender.

I'm not saying better vortex scopes don't have good glass, but a red dot is a pretty cheap optic unless you get into professional grade ones. I have a little Vortex Reflex red dot on my .40 carbine and it was on my shotgun... it survived the recoil. The more you spend (and good reviews you read) will lead you to better gear.

$30 red dots on Amazon will most likely lead to failure and looking for something else, unless it's on a airgun or .22... even still, it might not survive or hold Zero.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
The Firefield Impulse claims to be rated for Shotgun / .50Cal. There are some reviews and testings on youtube. They are mostly positive reviews. They hold zero no problem. Buy at your own risk...
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Gibsons wrote: Vortex is a budget scope. It's no Zeiss or Schmidt and Bender.
I am not sure what you consided a "budget" scope.
My Vortex is not a $300-400 red dot.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5280 posts
4939 upvotes
Southern Ontario
BDSL wrote: I am not sure what you consided a "budget" scope.
My Vortex is not a $300-400 red dot.
Vortex is Chinese glass, the others I quoted are German and probably 2-3x the price. Kind of like a Seiko vs Omega type situation.

I've looked though a $1000 Vortex scope and it's indeed good. There is better stuff out there and using Vortex as some sort of "standard" isn't correct. Once you get into EOTech red dots you are into $550+ US pricing if we are talking about Red Dots. Would I buy that Red Dot the guy quoted - Nope.

I have a Vortex reflex red dot that I paid $200ish for a few years ago. It holds up well. A lot of the junk on Amazon will break when you actually use it. Vortex is a lot of scope for the money, but it's not a standard to hold others to or think as anything "High End".
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Gibsons wrote: Vortex is Chinese glass, the others I quoted are German and probably 2-3x the price. Kind of like a Seiko vs Omega type situation.

I've looked though a $1000 Vortex scope and it's indeed good. There is better stuff out there and using Vortex as some sort of "standard" isn't correct. Once you get into EOTech red dots you are into $550+ US pricing if we are talking about Red Dots. Would I buy that Red Dot the guy quoted - Nope.

I have a Vortex reflex red dot that I paid $200ish for a few years ago. It holds up well. A lot of the junk on Amazon will break when you actually use it. Vortex is a lot of scope for the money, but it's not a standard to hold others to or think as anything "High End".
Note that I never said using Vortex as some sort of standard. I was just saying even on more expensive non-budget scopes (+$500), you will still see the red / green dot on the front lense. I was just using Vortex as an example because many people have Vortex.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5280 posts
4939 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I'm not shitting on Vortex as I own some of their scopes, it's just a good bang for the buck and the warranty is good. I have no red dot on the lens of my reflex sight.

It also doesn't make sense paying $500+ for a Red Dot, you'd might as well save a little more and buy an EOTech, Aimpoint, Trijicon, etc.

The sub-$100 range on Amazon is basically a throwaway, in my opinion. I'm more of the "save up the money and cry once" type of guy.

If you have the cash and are spending that much anyway - I'd look to one of these to get up to professional specs and use:

https://www.gotenda.com/product/eotech- ... t-512-a65/

I never understood people paying a fortune for a new fancy car and put a generic dumbo on their rifle as a red dot, then throw it in the garbage or return it to amazon. Good stuff isn't cheap.

(Doing a search I see the EOTech I posted as being cheaper elsewhere, $599).
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
4408 posts
4493 upvotes
BDSL wrote: The Firefield Impulse claims to be rated for Shotgun / .50Cal. There are some reviews and testings on youtube. They are mostly positive reviews. They hold zero no problem. Buy at your own risk...
Yep this is what I bought it based on. Nice little back up for some toys for $36.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
4408 posts
4493 upvotes
redmondflagger wrote: Be aware that these are pretty much junk. The red dot is clearly visible through the front lens.
I mean for $36 I’m not expecting much. But if it can hold zero and red dot works that’s all I need.
Jan 4, 2011
184 posts
902 upvotes
BC
I hear you.

There is certainly no right or wrong, but from my perspective I don't mind seeing the commie star on my SKS despite what that star meant to so many who suffered or died because of it.

I'd love to own a STG or Gewehr despite where they originally came from. The T97 and T81 will eventually be part of history - I realize the CCP is still alive and kicking. I value the firearms, I think about the designers and engineers, but not the hoopla or politics that created and distributed them.

and in true RFD spirit, getting a piece of history at a deal..

That's just me.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2014
1027 posts
1114 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
BDSL wrote: Even with my various expensive vortex scopes, you can see the red dot through the front lens.
The holosuns I have don't do that.
May 14, 2013
606 posts
1452 upvotes
redmondflagger wrote: For those who are interested, T81s are live at Tactical Imports. They'll go fast...
http://www.tacticalimports.ca/nonrestri ... s-c-1.html
I picked up the SE fixed stock no optic version when they showed up last time. I like it a lot.

Plus $1200 and you’re done. No optics/mounts/temptation to swap furniture…just buy and shoot. It’s a keeper to me. It screams bargain when you look at $1300 WK and $1600 MCR.
Dec 25, 2003
642 posts
768 upvotes
Saskatoon
Why do you care if you see the red dot through the front? Are you a sniper hiding from your human targets? For a 90% discount on the price, I am into the cheap stuff for sure.

$500+ optics guys silence the ppl who will test and share info on the low priced tech. In a free market economy, the high end tech trickles down and becomes affordable with this exact process.

The majority of ppl who want good value for their money and not the cutting edge. I wish there were more ppl who would tell me about their cheapo chinese accessories. Money is limited for some of us, and maybe some of us just dont like to cry every time we buy something. You don't always get what you pay for, that thinking makes me want to buy the $36 optics and rebrand it and sell it locally for $360.

EDIT: And P.S. most of the expensive brands are made in china anyways. The chinese get the skills and sell the same items under other brand names at a discount. "Buy local".... it isnt possible anymore because nearly everything is manufactured in other countries. When you buy local today, all you are doing is paying a middle man in between you and your chinese goods. Make Canada Great Again- I know all of us here want that, me too, but that is not the direction we are going.
Last edited by realBIGmike on Jan 12th, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you read this more than once, sorry for that.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2008
2390 posts
5616 upvotes
yvr92x wrote: There is certainly no right or wrong, but from my perspective I don't mind seeing the commie star on my SKS despite what that star meant to so many who suffered or died because of it.
Ya I wouldn't want to force my values onto other people. I'll probably feel better about owning Norinco when CCP finally becomes history.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)