Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5210 posts
4340 upvotes
Toronto

Firefox extensions disabled for many users due to certificate issue

EDIT #2: Update to version 66.0.4 and your extensions should be back.

------------

EDIT: Fix & more info posted on Mozilla blog: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05 ... n-firefox/

-------------

Huge bug affecting many users right now: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1548973

Looks like a signing certificate expired, causing many extensions in Firefox to be disabled, without the ability to re-install as it gives an error.

The only solution at the moment is to use dev, nightly, or ESR builds, point it to your old profile via -profilemanger & disable xpinstall.signatures.required in about:config, from what I understand.
Last edited by zentro on May 7th, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
42 replies
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4632 upvotes
Montreal
zentro wrote: Huge bug affecting many users right now: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1548973

Looks like a signing certificate expired, causing many extensions in Firefox to be disabled, without the ability to re-install as it gives an error.

The only solution at the moment is to use dev, nightly, or ESR builds, point it to your old profile via -profilemanger & disable xpinstall.signatures.required in about:config, from what I understand.
An even better solution is to uninstall Firefox.

If this isn't fixed by tomorrow morning I'll be giving Opera a try. All my add-ons wiped out instantly with zero notice.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5210 posts
4340 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately Opera was sold some time ago to a Chinese company, probably not the best choice.
Jan 12, 2017
529 posts
189 upvotes
Really dumb, adblock, lastpass, darkreader, and just about all my add-ons that I count on are toast. Sadly Chrome works.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12925 posts
2221 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
ottofly wrote: If this isn't fixed by tomorrow morning I'll be giving Opera a try. All my add-ons wiped out instantly with zero notice.
zentro wrote: Unfortunately Opera was sold some time ago to a Chinese company, probably not the best choice.
Vivaldi is the new Opera:
https://vivaldi.com/

Me, I stuck with Opera because it has the built-in VPN, which I use once in awhile. But my main browser is Pale Moon because I liked Firefox before it became a Chrome look-a-like: https://www.palemoon.org/
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2022 posts
160 upvotes
York Region
I guess I am lucky all my extensions still work ok for now.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5210 posts
4340 upvotes
Toronto
They pushed a fix, but it requires to enable Firefox studies: https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/certifi ... l/39047/12

My main machine wasn't affected, but others were. The check only happens once a day so that's why some people were not affected.
12:50 p.m. UTC / 03:50 a.m. PDT: We rolled-out a fix for release, beta and nightly users on Desktop. The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours, you don’t need to take active steps.

In order to be able to provide this fix on short notice, we are using the Studies system. You can check if you have studies enabled by going to Firefox Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Allow Firefox to install and run studies.

You can disable studies again after your add-ons have been re-enabled.

We are working on a general fix that doesn’t need to rely on this and will keep you updated.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5210 posts
4340 upvotes
Toronto
Right after I posted, my main machine was affected. However I did the run studies checkmark and within about a minute everything went back to normal, and after disabled it.

This is going to be such a headache for companies/schools running ESR, and also apparently it disables No Script on Tor browser instantly.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20874 posts
3067 upvotes
Niagara Falls
To be fair, an unsigned certificate is a pretty big issue.

That being said, I'm still good on Opera even if China is spying on me. :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5210 posts
4340 upvotes
Toronto
They posted a blog post with a bunch of information, for desktop users you could just wait or try the studies method to get it fixed.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019/05 ... n-firefox/

What's annoying with the studies thing is that there was already misuse of it with the Mr. Robot addon "Looking Glass", if anyone remembers from a while back: https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/16/fir ... extension/
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10183 posts
2593 upvotes
Winnipeg
checked studies on, close/restart, all back on again. checked studies off.

all works again
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4491 posts
2124 upvotes
Toronto
Gotta love RFD.
Got a problem, look to the forums and there it is. I had 2 machines do this today. On one it was a little scary. I'll wait for the fix.

FYI, you can add PIA - Private Internet Access to the list of disabled.
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4491 posts
2124 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: checked studies on, close/restart, all back on again. checked studies off.

all works again
My studies was on, I checked and it says the hotfix was complete.
hotfix-reset-xpi-verification-timestamp-1548973•Complete

Problem is still there. Does this require a restart of Firefox and/or the computer?

Windoze wants a restart outside of update Tuesday for:
2019-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4495667)
I wonder if they are related?
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10183 posts
2593 upvotes
Winnipeg
ROYinTO wrote: My studies was on, I checked and it says the hotfix was complete.

Problem is still there. Does this require a restart of Firefox and/or the computer?

Windoze wants a restart outside of update Tuesday for:

I wonder if they are related?
i just restarted firefox.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4457 posts
1436 upvotes
Vancouver
I had this message late Friday evening. Shut down the Win10 desktop overnight and started up this morning. Just checked and all my extensions are there and working again.

Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1306 posts
289 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
I don't have many addons, and they were re-enabled by the hotfix but they were all reset to default... That's real annoying
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2012
5676 posts
899 upvotes
Toronto
Yesterday I thought something happened to my browser. Lol
Mar 2, 2008
988 posts
1366 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
Well that was fun. Had to enable "Studies", then restart Firefox. The fix was listed as active, but only a couple of plug-ins came back. Restarted again with no changes. Had to restart the OS to get everything back. Seems to be back to normal for now.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3984 posts
1816 upvotes
BC
brghunter wrote: Well that was fun. Had to enable "Studies", then restart Firefox. The fix was listed as active, but only a couple of plug-ins came back. Restarted again with no changes. Had to restart the OS to get everything back. Seems to be back to normal for now.
and then you're turning that Studies crap right back off I hope.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1323 posts
817 upvotes
Toronto
test9251 wrote: Yesterday I thought something happened to my browser. Lol
Same, especially when I started to get all these ads/popups running up on my screen lol.

Studies fix helped me, but I imagine there a lot of users out there that won't be able to figure out why their add-ons aren't working and why they can't download them lol