Home & Garden

Fireplace Exhaust Screen Broken - Suggestions For Replacement?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2021 6:20 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1707 posts
592 upvotes
GTA

Fireplace Exhaust Screen Broken - Suggestions For Replacement?

I have an exterior exhaust/intake vent where the screen has been snapped. I want to replace it but not sure what to get. I've been checking to see if I can find replacement screens for this but haven't been able to find anything similar. Any suggestions:

11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
GOOGLE = gas fireplace outside vent screen

I found similar looking items

Or ask a Gas Fireplace Seller / Installation Co

Short of that … might have to MacGyver tin mesh to fit
Last edited by PointsHubby on Oct 12th, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2553 posts
1791 upvotes
Oakville
You need to buy "hardware cloth", and then cut and bend the cloth to the desired shape. Take the existing piece out and unfold/flatten it out to get the required shape to cut a new piece and refold.

While the original was likely 1/2" mesh, I would suggest getting the 1/4" mesh, which has small enough holes that you can use the leftovers to seal up other openings around your house (eg. weep holes, gaps in flashing, etc) to prevent rodents from entering.

I bought this roll when Peavey Mart was still known as TSC.
https://www.peaveymart.com/fencing/nett ... x-5/367590
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
cba123 wrote: While the original was likely 1/2" mesh, I would suggest getting the 1/4" mesh
Careful going too small.
There is more chance of clogging. (plant "fluff", snow, etc.)
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2553 posts
1791 upvotes
Oakville
arisk wrote: Careful going too small.
There is more chance of clogging. (plant "fluff", snow, etc.)
Nope. I have been using the 1/4" mesh on my fireplace for the past 3 years and have zero debris caught on it. And the heat from the fireplace pilot light already melts any snow/ice that lands on it. Also, any debris catching on a 1/4" mesh is going to catch on a 1/2" mesh as well.
Last edited by cba123 on Oct 12th, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1707 posts
592 upvotes
GTA
cba123 wrote: You need to buy "hardware cloth", and then cut and bend the cloth to the desired shape. Take the existing piece out and unfold/flatten it out to get the required shape to cut a new piece and refold.

While the original was likely 1/2" mesh, I would suggest getting the 1/4" mesh, which has small enough holes that you can use the leftovers to seal up other openings around your house (eg. weep holes, gaps in flashing, etc) to prevent rodents from entering.

I bought this roll when Peavey Mart was still known as TSC.
https://www.peaveymart.com/fencing/nett ... x-5/367590
What keeps the cloth securely in place after bending it? I haven't tried pulling out the existing one but it would seem that if you simply bend the cloth to fit the opening, it wouldn't take much force for a mouse or other pest to remove it?

Also wish they had it available in smaller rolls. They don't deliver either. I'm in Oakville. Hmm...
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2553 posts
1791 upvotes
Oakville
Jagstyles wrote: What keeps the cloth securely in place after bending it? I haven't tried pulling out the existing one but it would seem that if you simply bend the cloth to fit the opening, it wouldn't take much force for a mouse or other pest to remove it?
When you cut the mesh, you can cut the mesh so that you leave a + or T stubble at each cut edges that can catch/interlocks with the other edges.

But, it really is held in place mostly by friction/gravity. A bird is not going to be able to pull it out, but a racoon (that can open compost bins) would be able to remove the replacement and/or the original screen, but a racoon won't be able to fit into the opening after they remove the screen :).
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2004
2553 posts
1791 upvotes
Oakville
Here are pics of my replacement screen.

You can see the original 1/2" mesh cut just at the top edge at the front, as it continues down to the underside, and I slid the 1/4" mesh behind it. For mine, the sides on the original folded back in and rested on the top edge. The back edge folds outwards and goes under the back metal edge, which prevents it from being lifted out easily.
Images
  • PXL_20211012_203952966.jpg
  • PXL_20211012_204016833.jpg
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2013
1707 posts
592 upvotes
GTA
cba123 wrote: Here are pics of my replacement screen.

You can see the original 1/2" mesh cut just at the top edge at the front, as it continues down to the underside, and I slid the 1/4" mesh behind it. For mine, the sides on the original folded back in and rested on the top edge. The back edge folds outwards and goes under the back metal edge, which prevents it from being lifted out easily.
That's very helpful - awesome, thanks!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)