• Jul 7th, 2020 8:25 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2574 posts
2815 upvotes

First dog

I had two cats before, but never a dog. I really love shaggy dogs like poodles and doodles because you can pet them, they seem lovable. I'm thinking of getting a springer doodle or a similar type for a 2 bdr condo. What is a reasonable price for these types of dogs (I'm seeing a range of $1200-$2000 for a puppy) and can one get them from responsible breeders or private sellers via Kijiji or is that a totally foolish route?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3425 posts
637 upvotes
London
wont consider a shelter dog?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1374 posts
1039 upvotes
British Columbia
thelasthunter wrote: I really love shaggy dogs like poodles and doodles because you can pet them, they seem lovable.
Most dogs are loveable and can be pet. I'm not sure what you mean...

Have you considered the cost of grooming a Poodle? The larger the dog and depending on the style, the more expensive. Phone around to get an idea, and then realise you'll be paying this for the next ~15 years -- actually you'll be paying more as costs go up every year!

Grooming will need to be done frequently; as often as every few weeks. Some people stretch it out to every 2-3 months but they start looking very messy and tangled and may get hotspots. Grooming can also be extremely stressful for the dog, which was my deciding factor in never getting a Poodle/Poodle mix again.

Even if you don't get a dog with a Poodle coat some still require a trim; one of my current dogs gets very long hair between the paw pads and looks like a sausage on legs until I carefully trim her fluff down. I need to do it about 4 times a year and it takes roughly an hour each time. She is like a rag doll while I groom and use clippers on her tummy but it would be a very different story if I had it done at a groomer. She has an arthritic front leg due to injury and even when I'd ask them to go easy it still would be bad after a trip to the groomers. I have no idea why; shaving her down (wrecking her double coat!!) seems far less difficult than the precision trimming I do... I don't know why they needed to manhandle her front legs so much but it could come back to her being super stressed there and thus being uncooperative.

Which is why when I got my other current dog I made sure grooming is a minimum. Still a longer coat but no grooming required; I only brush her ear fluff and hair on the back of her legs every few days. Super easy. Not huge shedding like some dogs either.

Low grooming requirements are a huge factor for me in getting a dog. I hope I never have to deal with grooming again... if you can't tell. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye It ranks right behind factoring in the size of the dog and the energy level I can handle.

thelasthunter wrote: I'm thinking of getting a springer doodle or a similar type for a 2 bdr condo. What is a reasonable price for these types of dogs (I'm seeing a range of $1200-$2000 for a puppy) and can one get them from responsible breeders or private sellers via Kijiji or is that a totally foolish route?
The long and short of it is: no you can't get a mix breed dog from a reputable breeder. 99.9% of the time you will be supporting a puppymill or a broker or a backyard breeder and they all obviously are not recommended options for a multitude of reasons. When I got my last Poodle mix I realised years later I had been supporting a puppymill when I looked up the sellers name online.

If you want a mix get a dog from the shelter. If you must get one from a breeder I strongly suggest making sure the dogs are health tested for all possible genetic issues both breeds are predisposed to. Keep in mind some issues should be repeatedly tested for (such as eye conditions), some issues should not be tested for until a certain age (like hip testing), or the issues in question cannot be tested for at all and you simply run the risk of getting a dog predisposed to these issues (which is a billion conditions unfortunately; such as high rates of cancer in certain breeds).

Make sure the seller has a health guarantee and stands behind their dogs. Some breeders are willing to take back their puppies at any time of their life.

Also make sure the parents have a good temperament; they should be bred for temperament over color! Meet the parents and view the breeders home before purchase if at all possible to ensure they don't have 50 dogs locked in kennels. People can say whatever they want online to make a sale.

Finding a breeder that does all those things with a mix bred dog of any kind just doesn't happen very often. You pay as much or more for that designer "breed" than you would a purebred from a knowledgable, dedicated and legitimate breeder that isn't in it to make money. Most people breeding mixes are in it to make a quick buck.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1327 posts
1801 upvotes
snow00774 wrote: wont consider a shelter dog?
There are plenty of dogs that need homes and it won't cost you 1K+.
Mar 6, 2018
35 posts
11 upvotes
please consider and check out your local shelter, you will find a gorgeous one, who will already be trained and it will assist you a lot being first time dog owner.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2850 posts
1233 upvotes
Kingston
We currently have a shelter cat and two shelter dogs. Wouldn't have it any other way. Our shelter dogs were puppy mill rescues and are gorgeous. We've had three other shelter cats and one other shelter dog before this. Zero regrets.
Apr 15, 2014
941 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Get what you want op. Don’t let anyone shame you for not getting a shelter dog.
Please respond
Nov 9, 2005
786 posts
200 upvotes
Yep get any dog you like, I got a bulldog that is black and white and no one wanted him as a puppy (only one in the litter that was black and white) . Now every where we go he gets stopped by numerous people for pets.

Best of luck!
Aug 16, 2015
227 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
For your first dog, get a mutt. Preferably a Labrador based mix. IMO best first dog breed.
Deal Guru
Dec 22, 2005
11864 posts
122 upvotes
Oakville, ON
All my dogs, every last one for the last 25 years have been from shelters and rescues. If you want a particular breed, look online to see if there is an organization for rescuing that breed. That's how we fell in love with Jack Russell Terriers and now we are a part of that organization as adoption managers and transporters.

Start here and maybe you can find what you're looking for
https://www.petfinder.com/search/dogs-f ... o/toronto/
ETA: Oops already posted but well worth repeating
Good luck with your search and beware the puppy mills.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Guru
Dec 22, 2005
11864 posts
122 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Cybersid wrote: Yep get any dog you like, I got a bulldog that is black and white and no one wanted him as a puppy (only one in the litter that was black and white) . Now every where we go he gets stopped by numerous people for pets.

Best of luck!
My dog was a nasty, mean and miserable dog due to the previous owners negligence and uncaring attitude. She was taken by animal services and was going to be put down when we got word of her situation. We decided to give her a chance at a real home rather than a chain and cage with real interaction. Now she's the greatest, loves everyone and only has trouble with other dogs who don't submit to her dominance :lol:
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Nov 9, 2005
786 posts
200 upvotes
king_george wrote: My dog was a nasty, mean and miserable dog due to the previous owners negligence and uncaring attitude. She was taken by animal services and was going to be put down when we got word of her situation. We decided to give her a chance at a real home rather than a chain and cage with real interaction. Now she's the greatest, loves everyone and only has trouble with other dogs who don't submit to her dominance :lol:
Hehe sounds like my female bulldog who is 1 - she absolutely kicks the males a$$ - he is bigger too but gets "bullied" ..

Good stuff giving the dog a real chance, I am sure she is well loved.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1628 posts
478 upvotes
Elgin, ON
Karala wrote: Most dogs are loveable and can be pet. I'm not sure what you mean...

Have you considered the cost of grooming a Poodle? The larger the dog and depending on the style, the more expensive. Phone around to get an idea, and then realise you'll be paying this for the next ~15 years -- actually you'll be paying more as costs go up every year!

Grooming will need to be done frequently; as often as every few weeks. Some people stretch it out to every 2-3 months but they start looking very messy and tangled and may get hotspots. Grooming can also be extremely stressful for the dog, which was my deciding factor in never getting a Poodle/Poodle mix again.

Even if you don't get a dog with a Poodle coat some still require a trim; one of my current dogs gets very long hair between the paw pads and looks like a sausage on legs until I carefully trim her fluff down. I need to do it about 4 times a year and it takes roughly an hour each time. She is like a rag doll while I groom and use clippers on her tummy but it would be a very different story if I had it done at a groomer. She has an arthritic front leg due to injury and even when I'd ask them to go easy it still would be bad after a trip to the groomers. I have no idea why; shaving her down (wrecking her double coat!!) seems far less difficult than the precision trimming I do... I don't know why they needed to manhandle her front legs so much but it could come back to her being super stressed there and thus being uncooperative.

Which is why when I got my other current dog I made sure grooming is a minimum. Still a longer coat but no grooming required; I only brush her ear fluff and hair on the back of her legs every few days. Super easy. Not huge shedding like some dogs either.

Low grooming requirements are a huge factor for me in getting a dog. I hope I never have to deal with grooming again... if you can't tell. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye It ranks right behind factoring in the size of the dog and the energy level I can handle.

The long and short of it is: no you can't get a mix breed dog from a reputable breeder. 99.9% of the time you will be supporting a puppymill or a broker or a backyard breeder and they all obviously are not recommended options for a multitude of reasons. When I got my last Poodle mix I realised years later I had been supporting a puppymill when I looked up the sellers name online.

If you want a mix get a dog from the shelter. If you must get one from a breeder I strongly suggest making sure the dogs are health tested for all possible genetic issues both breeds are predisposed to. Keep in mind some issues should be repeatedly tested for (such as eye conditions), some issues should not be tested for until a certain age (like hip testing), or the issues in question cannot be tested for at all and you simply run the risk of getting a dog predisposed to these issues (which is a billion conditions unfortunately; such as high rates of cancer in certain breeds).

Make sure the seller has a health guarantee and stands behind their dogs. Some breeders are willing to take back their puppies at any time of their life.

Also make sure the parents have a good temperament; they should be bred for temperament over color! Meet the parents and view the breeders home before purchase if at all possible to ensure they don't have 50 dogs locked in kennels. People can say whatever they want online to make a sale.

Finding a breeder that does all those things with a mix bred dog of any kind just doesn't happen very often. You pay as much or more for that designer "breed" than you would a purebred from a knowledgable, dedicated and legitimate breeder that isn't in it to make money. Most people breeding mixes are in it to make a quick buck.
Grooming is a big deal, no doubt.

I have a Standard Poodle. To keep him looking tidy, with professional services, it is around $850 per year. We could stretch out the appointments, but he would look shaggier near the end of the interval. In the past when we let his coat get too long, we did have issues with matting and hot spots, so we keep the appointments frequent. I thought that was pretty expensive, until the pandemic hit, groomers closed, and my wife and I had to start grooming him ourselves. It's a lot of work! He's a good dog though, and we will almost certainly buy a Standard Poodle again.

We also have a "Mini Labradoodle" which is a Mini Poodle x Lab mix. What I will say about doodles, is that they are hit or miss. Some have a coat that is very high maintenance, some have a coat that is very low maintenance. Ours, is very low maintenance. We only get her groomed twice a year, for a total yearly cost of about $150 per year. She does look really shaggy near the end of the intervals, and we usually give her face a bit of a trim in between. There are no health / hot spot issues when her coat gets long. She does not get matted. Same can be said of doodle temperaments. Hit or miss. Ours has a pretty strong personality, but is pretty lovable.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
420 upvotes
Some of the best dogs I’ve owned I bought off the side of the highway from minonites for $50, most times the seller had it narrowed down to a mix of five breeds!! Lol
But really always healthy and good pups, this time I got a golden retriever from a farm nearby that had both parents on farm and both were purebred Goldens so I paid more ($800) but he’s my first golden and he just turned one! Great family dog! Here’s a pic of him when I got him and one from his bday July 1st.
Images
  • B5EADEC7-3965-4168-A6BD-E218DE9D79C2.jpeg
  • 98BFE99E-D40C-4201-96D1-28662F15DF4F.jpeg
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
420 upvotes
CardinalComb wrote: Get what you want op. Don’t let anyone shame you for not getting a shelter dog.
I agree, and that’s no knock at anyone, you can go either way but you do you! Cheers and good luck!
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14136 posts
3935 upvotes
Montréal
jackrabbit000 wrote: Best dog we’ve ever had was a malamute. Next a golden retriever. Now we have a rabbit.
That's quirky/cute...how did that happen lol?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3803 posts
1632 upvotes
Mississauga
I am also looking to get a dog / puppy. First thing I have checked is the petfinder. What do you know, nothing there for first time pet owners. They all need experience owners to deal with the pet issues be it behavior or health. Whats a new guy to do....... pay more to get a puppy from a breeder that will be in good standing, gives you health warranty etc.
Again, dont let anyone talk you into getting what you do not really want.