None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2849 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough

First DSLR Camera

I just picked up a DSLR Camera from Best Buy (Canon T5) for $399. Is this one good? I am also seeing that they have a T5 IS with lens kit for $579. Should I grab that instead?

Or should I get another DSLR camera altogether?

Thanks
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5827 posts
3080 upvotes
Winnipeg
get t5i or t4i instead...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2849 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough
Wpegger wrote: get t5i or t4i instead...
I was looking for that but Best Buy does not carry it
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
9927 posts
1370 upvotes
Depends on the price difference...

T5 is basically a T3i which should be sufficient for starting out. The 75-300 isn't good. If you can pay a little more and swap out for the 55-250, you will be happier.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2849 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough
taro-chan wrote: Depends on the price difference...

T5 is basically a T3i which should be sufficient for starting out. The 75-300 isn't good. If you can pay a little more and swap out for the 55-250, you will be happier.
Price is about (give or take) $200 difference.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3899 posts
2812 upvotes
Toronto
---------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2849 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough
I might be leaning towards Nikon. The T5 I have has a hard time taking a second picture after the initial (using flash)...screen shows "busy" for about 7 seconds...I was a wedding party last night where sometimes it was dimly lit...and this happened...my co-worker was with me with his Nikon and he was bursting through shots without a hiccup..he has a older Nikon, 16 mp
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1375 posts
265 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
That's not a Canon vs Nikon feature difference.
Dec 24, 2010
57 posts
14 upvotes
ninety5teg wrote: I might be leaning towards Nikon. The T5 I have has a hard time taking a second picture after the initial (using flash)...screen shows "busy" for about 7 seconds...I was a wedding party last night where sometimes it was dimly lit...and this happened...my co-worker was with me with his Nikon and he was bursting through shots without a hiccup..he has a older Nikon, 16 mp
Could that possibly be the class of memory card that you have? class 10 is a good standard.
But it could be that the T5 can't handle processing that many RAWs in a short period of time by comparison to possibly your friend older yet possibly higher line Nikon. I would not pinpoint it to canon vs nikon. Judging by 16mp that you mentioned, a quick google came up with D5100 or D7000 which is the equivalent to canons T3i or 60D power. So it's not an apples to apples comparison against your camera.
And then theres the possibility of shooting RAW vs JPEGs to get more sequential shots. Since there is less information in the JPEGs, so the camera doesn't have to work as hard.

And as for camera body choice... I would say a Txi series or nikon equivalent,because they are better bodies in terms of specs. Also note that they can come with built in off camera flash control, which can eventually expand your photography and the articulating screen is actually very convenient in many situations.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2002
1551 posts
420 upvotes
ninety5teg wrote: I might be leaning towards Nikon. The T5 I have has a hard time taking a second picture after the initial (using flash)...screen shows "busy" for about 7 seconds...I was a wedding party last night where sometimes it was dimly lit...and this happened...my co-worker was with me with his Nikon and he was bursting through shots without a hiccup..he has a older Nikon, 16 mp
This is due to size of the buffer on your camera. I don't know the specs on the T5, but I'm willing to bet the buffer size is ridiculously tiny, which is causing the bottle neck, especially if you are shooting in RAW.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2849 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough
advantage21 wrote: This is due to size of the buffer on your camera. I don't know the specs on the T5, but I'm willing to bet the buffer size is ridiculously tiny, which is causing the bottle neck, especially if you are shooting in RAW.
No. I am shooting in regular format.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3899 posts
2812 upvotes
Toronto
---------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1375 posts
265 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
The camera is rated at 3fps when shooting JPG (via viewfinder).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2849 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough
So a faster memory card should solve the lag?
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1402 posts
363 upvotes
Ottawa, On
ninety5teg wrote: So a faster memory card should solve the lag?
Probably not. T5 just isn't a very good camera. My guess is it's the flash recycle time that's slowing it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2008
2849 posts
391 upvotes
Scarborough
da_guy2 wrote: Probably not. T5 just isn't a very good camera. My guess is it's the flash recycle time that's slowing it.
Thats exactly the issue! Should I bother getting the T5i after returning this one?