Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Goodfood Canada

First meal kit box free ($87 value)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2023 8:34 pm
May 21, 2019
229 posts
199 upvotes
TylerOakville wrote: Order this a couple days ago and it’s coming this week.
My girlfriend and I are gonna have fun doing this together.

All these meal kit sites are such a ripoff. $10 per meal that you have to cook yourself? You can easily find a restaurant that serves quality and healthy food for the same price without cooking yourself.

If anyone reads this and uses a service like this often, please let me know why???
Don't forget washing the dishes. And the cards say preparation is 30 min, but it takes more like 1-2 hours depending on the meal. So add 2 hours of work income to the bill and you could eat at a pretty high end restaurant. You're paying for the research and testing of meals, card design, printing, packaging, delivery logistics, customer care etc.

Prep should go faster with your girlfriend though.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2014
1406 posts
750 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Just to clarify, if I skip the first 2 weeks, and have the third delivered, once it delivered I just cancel and that's that? It's not first week free, it's the box itself, regardless of week.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2538 posts
5693 upvotes
Markham
dbdudley wrote: I totally agree but decided to debunk it even if that premise was true. I don't think you are "spending"/losing $50 when you watch an episode of Game of Thrones. Unless you work almost every working hour of the day.
"Should I listen to this song on the radio? It takes 5 mins so that's $4!!"
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
3262 posts
1220 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: If your time is worth $50 per hour, your meal becomes $62.50
Lol. Troll away.
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
159 upvotes
grumble wrote: Yeah, but you're also paying for the delivery, the recipes, the planning, etc. I mean it isn't just charging you for the cost of groceries, the value is in dropping off the ingredients and instructions for a few high-quality meals without you having to think about it, plan it, go to the store, waste ingredients, come up with worse recipes on your own (unless you're quite a good cook), etc. It's kinda disingenuous to compare their service to the cost of the ingredients alone since you're getting more than that.
Yes, and I can say that with the recipes I've had so far (mussel linguine, beef tacos, fish) they are like delicacies - different to (at least) our household's "normal" food.

So it's cool.

That said, you do have to cook it - it's a really great concept for people who enjoy cooking and trying different dishes. The comparison to the "ingredients only" is superfluous - this value proposition is a bit broader than a Costco or Safeway run.
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
159 upvotes
Dave510 wrote: Talk about moving the goalpost.

Am I supposed to factor in the time it takes to find a restaurant I like, pick the meal I want and the delivery time on Ubereat as well?
Exactly.

:facepalm:
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
159 upvotes
BaDumTss wrote: Any1 had success ordering a second free basket to the same adress?
No, don't scam the company please.
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
159 upvotes
ahumanbeing wrote: Just to clarify, if I skip the first 2 weeks, and have the third delivered, once it delivered I just cancel and that's that? It's not first week free, it's the box itself, regardless of week.
Yes I believe so - you are essentially buying one box "one order" "one week"
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
159 upvotes
Shinru wrote: I was with them for about a month. They're super cool for what they are, but I find that a lot of their recipes were starting to look samey that or there were some that just weren't worth their value (I'm looking at you random ramen week).
This is a good point.

I can imagine wanting to change it up - to not have it EVERY day for a month. Personally I would just have it once every few weeks. I like that you do get to choose the menu and there are diverse choices.

I don't know about you, and your culinary skills, but here in this household there aren't too many creative chefs so this is all quite gourmet and different. As to every day, I get bored even with restaurant food, so I can understand that you feel that way too.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: Ubereats is cheaper...
McDonalds all day everyday? Anways, this promo gives you 12 (six dinners for two) large, gourmet and nutritious meals for FREE, so show me where I can get that on Ubereats please.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
starlamp wrote: No, don't scam the company please.
Lool, don't be silly, people here are on their 5th or 6th same address orders. It's not scamming, if their own systems let you do it. I've done my fourth order and most were with same CC and always the same address. They want to entice you to order regularly.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
3692 posts
4307 upvotes
BaDumTss wrote: Any1 had success ordering a second free basket to the same adress?
Yup, I'm on my fourth.
For Sale:
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
2538 posts
5693 upvotes
Markham
thelasthunter wrote: Lool, don't be silly, people here are on their 5th or 6th same address orders. It's not scamming, if their own systems let you do it. I've done my fourth order and most were with same CC and always the same address. They want to entice you to order regularly.
Is it the same account? They clearly prohibit the same account from using the code so it is actually scamming/stealing. Having bad preventative measures doesn't make it right or legal.

So is it also OK to steal from places that are based on honour system or with weak security?
Mar 3, 2018
14 posts
11 upvotes
thelasthunter wrote: Lool, don't be silly, people here are on their 5th or 6th same address orders. It's not scamming, if their own systems let you do it. I've done my fourth order and most were with same CC and always the same address. They want to entice you to order regularly.
Just because "you aren't being physically stopped from doing this" doesn't mean you aren't effectively stealing/scamming. You wouldn't do much to stop a bullet going through your head but I'd imagine that's somewhat frowned upon.
Nov 26, 2017
133 posts
109 upvotes
How do you verify in your account that the first week is $87 off?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2018
1504 posts
1519 upvotes
andycwlai wrote: How do you verify in your account that the first week is $87 off?
Once you choose your first week, you'll get an email confirmation that says this

Here's your plan summary :

You get $87.00 off your first basket!

Plan type :
Classic Basket

Recipes per week:
4 (each serves 2)

First delivery total :
$87.00 (on the email theres a line going through the $87)
$0

I made the Cod with Garlic Bulgar and Roasted Carrots/Tomatoes with Sorrel Pesto last night. By god it was delicious! I might order another week. When I do my meal prep, I cook for entire week so eating the same thing all week long is boring and meh, but this box I get to try a new dish every night. (sad fact, I have a culinary background, just too lazy to do recipe planning and cooking after work).
Deal Addict
May 14, 2008
2935 posts
1149 upvotes
Dave510 wrote: "Should I listen to this song on the radio? It takes 5 mins so that's $4!!"
Not to mention, even if you accept his premise, there is an "opportunity cost" - ok, if your time is actually worth $50 an hour, what did you do with that time instead? Was it worth more to you than cooking/grocery shopping/meal planning/etc.? If so, then you are coming out "ahead".
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
1197 posts
917 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP! Ordered to try it out. Probably going to cancel it since I don't mind grocery shopping weekly. Saves me probably $30 in groceries this coming week and I get a good variety of new recipes to try.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
I cant seem to use it again, tried a new account, I think its tracking the address, I used a new CC and different email address.
Aug 9, 2005
360 posts
119 upvotes
starlamp wrote: This is a good point.

I can imagine wanting to change it up - to not have it EVERY day for a month. Personally I would just have it once every few weeks. I like that you do get to choose the menu and there are diverse choices.

I don't know about you, and your culinary skills, but here in this household there aren't too many creative chefs so this is all quite gourmet and different. As to every day, I get bored even with restaurant food, so I can understand that you feel that way too.
I would have to say I picked up a few extra tricks in the kitchen, it's a great way to learn a few new things, but like I mentioned I don't know about long term value. I suppose if you treat yourself to a box a month, you can keep things fresh and interesting. The first meal kit is a no brainer. Continuing in a sporadic fashion would likely make this more sustainable and avoids meal burnouts.
---------------------------------
If you are talking to someone, then suddenly turn your head to the side while still talking... they'll turn and look the same direction you're looking at... LMAO it's GREAT lol so many people do that lol, especially if you do a double take lol, try it out :D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)