Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Goodfood Canada] First meal kit box free ($87 value)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 7:48 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1575 posts
744 upvotes
Edmonton
Just got my box today, and I think it needs another ice pack on the top, the food was sorta cool, not cold enough sitting at my front door step all day in the sun. But none the less, I cooked the tortellini brown butter recipe, and its tasty and all but I'd go back to doing my own groceries for cheaper and more quantity of food. But otherwise, pretty good concept. Thanks OP for free box to try out.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
3562 posts
1367 upvotes
Ottawa
dj_rice wrote: Just got my box today, and I think it needs another ice pack on the top, the food was sorta cool, not cold enough sitting at my front door step all day in the sun. But none the less, I cooked the tortellini brown butter recipe, and its tasty and all but I'd go back to doing my own groceries for cheaper and more quantity of food. But otherwise, pretty good concept. Thanks OP for free box to try out.
The trade off is time and thought. The point of these food boxes is so you can save the planning effort, hence the premium price compared to shopping on your own
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3074 posts
2770 upvotes
I got my first box on Sunday .... decided to cancel online today via chat. The rep I got was polite and wanted to know why I wanted to cancel. I gave her my reasons and she offered to give me another free week so I took it. Kinda feel bad but can't say no to a second free box. Just thought I would share ...YMMV of course
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
158 upvotes
I received my box and am very impressed with the company, the concept and the service.

Food was excellent and yes you pay a premium but for the repertoire, pre-preparation, choice and service, I understand why it's priced where it is.

All in an excellent company and even if I don't keep perusing in future they have my goodwill. I personally would NOT take them up on a free offer if I don't intend to buy again - they have a lot of costs and this just adds to their financial burden unnecessarily.
Feb 13, 2019
312 posts
158 upvotes
Note the code should last two weeks.

Here is mine (It is NOT a referral code - I get nothing) FB87MAE

It says new clients only.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2010
2853 posts
872 upvotes
pongster wrote: I got my first box on Sunday .... decided to cancel online today via chat. The rep I got was polite and wanted to know why I wanted to cancel. I gave her my reasons and she offered to give me another free week so I took it. Kinda feel bad but can't say no to a second free box. Just thought I would share ...YMMV of course
Wow! What did you say? That's amazing.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
3074 posts
2770 upvotes
jt05mi wrote: Wow! What did you say? That's amazing.
me:
Hello, I would like to unsubscribe from my plan please.
Chat started
Aisha joined the chat
Aisha
Hi, my name is Aisha! It would be my pleasure to help you today. May I have the email associated to your Goodfood account? I will look into this for you.
me:
xxxxx@gmail.com
Aisha
If it is not too personal, may I ask the reason you do not wish to continue? We are always looking to improve our service, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
me:
Yes, I received my first meal kit on a trial basis but to be honest didn't really enjoy it too much.
Aisha
I am so sorry to hear this! Would you mind letting me know what you did not enjoy about your experience?
me:
I thought the food was so so but maybe it was my cooking! Anyway, those are my thoughts
Aisha
I am sorry to hear this! Our menu changes on a weekly basis. Would you like to skip weeks, and place an order until you see a menu that interests you? I would like you to know that you may skip 12 weeks at a time by managing your delivery calendar! Here is the link: http://makegoodfood.ca/clientarea/en/change-delivery. ( http://makegoodfood.ca/clientarea/en/change-delivery. )

However, I would be more than happy to apply a credit to your account for the full value of the box to give us another try?
me:
Thank you for the offer. I would like that. Just to confirm, my next delivery would be completely free then because of the credit? Very much appreciated
Aisha
Yes, that is correct
me:
Great! How can I refuse that offer?! Thanks for the great customer service ... I will give it another try!
So the credit will just show in my account? how do get I a confirmation?
Aisha
My pleasure! Please do not hesitate if there is anything else! Our team would be happy to help you. Have a nice day! If you are satisfied with our interaction today, definitely feel free to leave a thumbs up! Thumbs Up Sign
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
2454 posts
2607 upvotes
Yeah, this company is all aces, it's a true gem. Everything is high quality and consistent - from website to the actual food. Professionalism is always there too. Kind of atypical for a Canadian startup. I hope they keep it up and become a huge success. I'm seriously budgeting them now and again due to their outstanding product especially for time constrained and/or novice chefs. It's a tough sell for us pragmatic Canadians, but I'm rooting for them nevertheless.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2007
2145 posts
519 upvotes
Montreal
I tried the Fish today, it's quite fresh and satisfies my stomach without going overboard! Decided to pay full price for the upcoming week as it seems like a good local company

Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2008
1755 posts
3589 upvotes
Markham
GoodFood definitely has better recipes than the competition. They are more involved, but the recipes are often more creative. They're recently started taking back the box and ice packs (if you want), so better for the environment on that front too.

I wish they would offer something like 20-30% off if you prepay for 5 deliveries or something. That would probably help them get more consistent demand, while making the price more palatable for more people.
Jun 24, 2015
238 posts
127 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
variety of recipes are good, delivery is good, service is good, quality of ingredients is alright but quantity is too little. ordered for 2 and had to make instant noodles after.
Aug 10, 2010
328 posts
146 upvotes
Calgary
First time using any food delivery service and happy with the results, with the caveat that they were free, thanks OP.

Made our 2 recipes, both were simple and decent hits with my family. Will happily hold onto the recipes and may cook them again in the near future. BBQ Chicken with Bean & Kale Succotash and Lebanese beef with Tabbouleh. The meat preps were not too dissimilar to stuff we'd normally cook, but the side dishes of Succotash and Tabbouleh were new to us and good healthy options.

Was happy with the whole service, delivery was easy and ingredients were good. Website also is reasonably impressive and easy, I can see myself using it for recipe ideas.

Cost wise I'd struggle to pay $87 for what came in the box. Did our own estimating and reckon we could have shopped for the same for at most $40. Yes there's convenience to pay for, but we'd still be going to the store weekly anyway so that argument is somewhat moot, and I'd not personally pay over double for the convenience. I'll keep my eye open for coupons, as any 50% off ones may get me to do another week here and there.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12696 posts
3434 upvotes
Scarberia
got my box yesterday, they just leave it there without knocking on the door!i think i got 2 packages of chicken breast and some pork slab, rest were junk veggies...prolly cost 30$ at most...no way this thing is worth 87$ lol. prolly the box and ice cost them 20$ bucks! another 30$ to ship via?
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
41504 posts
6515 upvotes
Took a look at this, and I don't think its for me. Thanked OP nevertheless.

Not many or appealing choices for vegetarian options. Plus is this more so for people who are busy and don't have time to buy ingredients from the grocery store? Then to cook them? Just curious that's all.

As in how does this differ from going to a supermarket and buying ingredients for making lunch or dinner? Along with other meal plans similar to this.
Proud to be an Indian.
178 posts
133 upvotes
Dave510 wrote: GoodFood definitely has better recipes than the competition. They are more involved, but the recipes are often more creative. They're recently started taking back the box and ice packs (if you want), so better for the environment on that front too.

I wish they would offer something like 20-30% off if you prepay for 5 deliveries or something. That would probably help them get more consistent demand, while making the price more palatable for more people.
How do you know about this ?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)