• Jul 4th, 2020 1:24 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5028 posts
1583 upvotes
Richmond Hill

First time above ground pool owner (8' x 3') - questions

Hi fellow seasoned pool owners! Hope everyone has been using their pools to the fullest extent this summer!

I'm a first time above ground pool owner, got my hands on the Summer Waves 8' x 3' Quick set pool and have a few questions!

1. It did not come with a filter pump - so now what? Can I operate the pool without one? I understand it's to circulate the water so it's not standing - can I just drain like 20% and top up every 2 days? Especially if we're using it almost every day for a few hours. If it's best to get a filter pump, do I need to get my hands on a Summer Waves one? I haven't had much luck (CT, Walmart, Amz OOS). Can I use a generic filter pump? Where should I go?
2. I've done some research on maintaining water quality with chemicals. How do I know when to use what? Isn't there just a simple kit that I just follow a schedule to put into the pool?

TIA!
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
12 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11947 posts
7119 upvotes
Paris
enwhyRFD wrote: Hi fellow seasoned pool owners! Hope everyone has been using their pools to the fullest extent this summer!

I'm a first time above ground pool owner, got my hands on the Summer Waves 8' x 3' Quick set pool and have a few questions!

1. It did not come with a filter pump - so now what? Can I operate the pool without one? I understand it's to circulate the water so it's not standing - can I just drain like 20% and top up every 2 days? Especially if we're using it almost every day for a few hours. If it's best to get a filter pump, do I need to get my hands on a Summer Waves one? I haven't had much luck (CT, Walmart, Amz OOS). Can I use a generic filter pump? Where should I go?
2. I've done some research on maintaining water quality with chemicals. How do I know when to use what? Isn't there just a simple kit that I just follow a schedule to put into the pool?

TIA!
I used a hot tub floating thingy and some chlorine tabs for mine. Did quite a bit of what I needed when my kids were little and I had a small pool.

Yes you really need a pump. Grass, dirt etc will be filtered out and it will help move the chlorine.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19440 posts
22557 upvotes
GTA
Any filter pump would work for you, just need to make sure the hoses fit.
We have an 18ft above ground with larger filter pump. I also converted it to salt water chlorination and added a solar mat. Right now it's 28C which is great for the kids.
We don't run the filter pump very much, so you could probably get away with it by diligently cleaning it with a skimmer net and keeping on top of your chemicals.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5028 posts
1583 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PointsHubby wrote: Gotta ask ...
Where did you get this pool
As it is supposed to come with a pump
And full instructions
Like these ones from Cdn Tire
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/summ ... c=true#spc

Good info here from @Jerico
And you should be able to find the Owners Manual online for Maintenance & Chemicals info
Got it off kijiji. They just probably bulk ordered from Walmart to turn a quick profit.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/summer-wav ... 0200614395

So I guess some are just the inflatable pool with no filter included (sold separately I guess).

Went onto polygroup website, all pumps sold out.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5028 posts
1583 upvotes
Richmond Hill
engineered wrote: Any filter pump would work for you, just need to make sure the hoses fit.
We have an 18ft above ground with larger filter pump. I also converted it to salt water chlorination and added a solar mat. Right now it's 28C which is great for the kids.
We don't run the filter pump very much, so you could probably get away with it by diligently cleaning it with a skimmer net and keeping on top of your chemicals.
That's what I thought - but wanted to make sure. Thanks!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19440 posts
22557 upvotes
GTA
enwhyRFD wrote: Got it off kijiji. They just probably bulk ordered from Walmart to turn a quick profit.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/summer-wav ... 0200614395

So I guess some are just the inflatable pool with no filter included (sold separately I guess).

Went onto polygroup website, all pumps sold out.
There are other options for pumps. Like a submersible pump. You could probably rig up a filter. If you can't plug it in directly, have the hose drain over the filter and let gravity work. Filter could be some paper/cone media, or DIY sand filter.
Jan 22, 2012
647 posts
259 upvotes
Bradford
Someone at my local Walmart bought 10 of the above ground pools. I’m sure they will be showing up on kijiji shortly
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19440 posts
22557 upvotes
GTA
Topher86 wrote: Someone at my local Walmart bought 10 of the above ground pools. I’m sure they will be showing up on kijiji shortly
Hopefully they get reported for price gauging.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
3309 posts
1916 upvotes
Mississauga
engineered wrote: Hopefully they get reported for price gauging.
Don't think so
Probably just won't get any purchasors
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1332 posts
902 upvotes
London, On
I don't think these type of pools are meant to be left up for the length of time that a pool would need a filter and chemicals anyway. Not set up and take down daily, but not set up in June and leave it for the next 3 months either. Chlorine probably lowers the already short lifespan of the material. They are fun when the side bursts when you are in it though lol. Do make sure you aren't uphill of something you don't want to get wet when you set it up. I think the way you drain it is you let the air out of the ring and the pool collapses on itself.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19440 posts
22557 upvotes
GTA
mau_mau wrote: Don't think so
Probably just won't get any purchasors
When there's no stock some people will pay more. Just look at toilet paper and other hoarded items.
Jan 22, 2012
647 posts
259 upvotes
Bradford
Found two of the $298 pools from Walmart on Facebook marketplace for $950