Automotive

[WTB] First time buyer of a used vehicle. Looking for one, and seeking for advice.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2019 7:46 pm
[OP]
Jul 29, 2017
114 posts
2 upvotes

First time buyer of a used vehicle. Looking for one, and seeking for advice.

Hello everyone.

There was a point in my life where I was single without a family. During that time I was fortunate enough to purchase new vehicles, 1999 Toyota Corolla, and in 2009 once again another Toyota Corolla. Lucky for me during both purchases I had my finances under control, and I paid off both cars in full upfront. I yearn for those days....

Fast forward now to 2018, I'm now happily married and a father of 3 young children. Out of necessity I had no choice but to purchase a minivan, and once again I was still fortunate enough to payoff everything upfront, but barely.

I still have my 2009 Corolla for my day to day driving, but it's running on fumes. I'll be lucky if it can last me to the end of the year. Warning lights all over, and I'm worried that the car will die each time I drive it even if it's just a measly 10-20 minutes for my daily commute to/from my home to the TTC station.

I'm sorry that I put you through my SOB story, but I'm in desperate need for a used car. I'm not looking for anything fancy. Just something reliable that can get just me alone from point A to B for the next little while. And what I really mean is a small used vehicle that I can drive on weekdays for another 2 years or so. I've never purchased a used car before so I'm really in the dark here. Is there any advice you can give me on what to look for, and what to avoid? I don't have much money to spend, $2500 is my price range. Once again I don't want to sound desperate, but I'm really looking for some help here because I'm not in the greatest situation financially, and I also have some health concerns develop in the past month that is really stressing me out.

Thanks in advance everyone for your time, and appreciate any advice or help you can contribute.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21778 posts
3037 upvotes
Toronto
For $2500, you'll be getting a used car that is either same age or older than your 2009 corolla....just depends on condition.

I'd buy from a fellow RFDer vs Kijiji etc....at least RFDers you can see how long they have been around and posting history etc.

Check out this thread, some good posts on different used cars RFDers are selling:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/looking ... 0-2315061/

This one from Bianco13 fits your budget
My cousin has a 2002 Toyota Camry LE, 1 owner, 210K, no rust sprayed yearly, comes with 3yr old winter wheels. No check engine light, car drives and runs great. Only issue the gas tank filler neck has a crack so it can't be filled past 3/4. Probably will need a new tank. Looking to get $2000 as is.
This one is a bit higher but newer from Nejo261
I am getting a new car for my wife soon. Will be selling her Mazda 3 2010 Hatchback. It has 142KM and works great, its blue/green in colour. Automatic transmission. I can sell AS IS or Certified.

AS IS = $3500
Certified = $4000 (could use rear break pads and will need front ball joints replaced in a few months).

Neel
Gluck!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
12889 posts
7615 upvotes
Markham
Perhaps you've put 400,000 km's on it but you don't quote mileage. Why would a 2009 Corolla that is only 10 yrs old be on it's last leg. Get yourself a decent mechanic and get those warning lights taken care of. That vehicle has at least 5 more years of life even if it has 400,000km on it. Ask almost any honest mechanic and they'll tell you that car doesn't die. For $2500 you should be able to get that car back to it's glory day.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3836 posts
936 upvotes
Brampton
Yup, get the Corolla looked at. If there are multiple issues you may be able to get by repairing one at a time.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
4169 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto
Yes how many kilometers have you put on the corolla? You can probably get everything sorted out on the corolla for less than $2,500, Toyota makes some of the best vehicles around
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
9864 posts
3167 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: For $2500, you'll be getting a used car that is either same age or older than your 2009 corolla....just depends on condition.

I'd buy from a fellow RFDer vs Kijiji etc....at least RFDers you can see how long they have been around and posting history etc.

Check out this thread, some good posts on different used cars RFDers are selling:

looking-cheap-winter-car-budget-1000-4000-2315061/

This one from Bianco13 fits your budget

This one is a bit higher but newer from Nejo261

Gluck!

Most of the people listed in that thread barely have any posts or been on RFD contributing anything and mostly 0 trader score.
Slightly better than Kijiji but I would still be very wary.
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
+1 with everybody on your corolla ... 2009 that's middle age - not old yet ... lol, check with mechanic and tell us what is wrong with it and how much $ to fix it ... but my guess is that your corolla is your best bet ...