Art and Photography

First Time DSLR Buyer - Canon T6?

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2021 2:55 pm
[OP]
May 20, 2021
1 posts

First Time DSLR Buyer - Canon T6?

Looking to buy my first DSLR after having exhausted most of what my Samsung cell phone camera can do - was wondering if a used Canon T6 would be an ok investment at 300 dollars, or if I'm paying too much for old tech?
3 replies
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1495 posts
848 upvotes
With DSLR, it is the lenses that really make it shine. If you buy this old T6 and just use the kit lens, you'll notice that it is on par or maybe worst than most flagship phones that have ultra wide, wide and tele photo cameras on 1 device.

If you're not planning on spending as much or more money on lenses, I'm not sure it's worth it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5715 posts
2701 upvotes
Ancaster
Gin Martini wrote: With DSLR, it is the lenses that really make it shine. If you buy this old T6 and just use the kit lens, you'll notice that it is on par or maybe worst than most flagship phones that have ultra wide, wide and tele photo cameras on 1 device.

If you're not planning on spending as much or more money on lenses, I'm not sure it's worth it.
Agreed. It's the glass, always the glass. I'm dinking around with a Panasonic GM5 that is coming up on its 8th birthday and despite an "ancient" 16 MP sensor, it can make beautiful images when you put nice glass in front of it.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1102 posts
363 upvotes
Is there a reason you are stuck on T6. Not sure if that comes with a STM kit lens or DC III. Try looking for the SL2 if you are considering using for videos as well.