Real Estate

First Time Home Buyer - Help With Floor plan Decisions!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2019 4:44 pm
[OP]
Sep 30, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote

First Time Home Buyer - Help With Floor plan Decisions!

Hi everyone!
I am a potential first time home buyer (finally!) and am looking to buy a house. For my budget, it looks like I will only be able to buy a townhouse. I have selected a location I want to buy in, as most of my family, friends are around the area and its about 10-15 mins to work. Taking into consideration budget and location, I am down to 3 floor plans.

Wondering if I could get your opinions, thoughts on each of the floor plans and which ones work the best. Thanks everyone!

From Left to Right
1. $3K more expensive than 2, but $7K cheaper than 3, ~1690 square feet.
2. Smallest and cheaper than #3 by $10K, ~1670 square feet
3. Most expensive, ~1770 square feet including basement
Images
  • 3.png
  • 2.png
  • 1.png
18 replies
Dec 16, 2007
40 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
geishagirl96 wrote: Hi everyone!
I am a potential first time home buyer (finally!) and am looking to buy a house. For my budget, it looks like I will only be able to buy a townhouse. I have selected a location I want to buy in, as most of my family, friends are around the area and its about 10-15 mins to work. Taking into consideration budget and location, I am down to 3 floor plans.

Wondering if I could get your opinions, thoughts on each of the floor plans and which ones work the best. Thanks everyone!

From Left to Right
1. $3K more expensive than 2, but $7K cheaper than 3, ~1690 square feet.
2. Smallest and cheaper than #3 by $10K, ~1670 square feet
3. Most expensive, ~1770 square feet including basement
#2 main floor layout looks much better because of a separate dining area. If you don't care about second floor laundry, go for this one.

#3 is more spacious and has a second floor laundry and dining area.In terms of mortgage payments price difference of around10k is not gonna make a significant difference.
Oct 21, 2013
296 posts
148 upvotes
waterloo, on
Can you customize the plan ?

If yes, then move kitchen to right in 2. that will give you same layout at 3. but am sure that won't cost 10k to do.

2nd floor laundry is huge plus too. If you do care about that, then hands down 3 is a better plan.
Serving Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph/London/Hamilton/Niagara and surrounding areas
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5031 posts
1709 upvotes
1, then 3

Biggest downside with #3 is the kids bath is directly off the master.
Let's hug it out
Jul 4, 2018
509 posts
448 upvotes
#3 is no brainer
Spacious for dining and living room
Laundry upstairs

#2 main floor plan is good, but oversized master bedroom pushing laundry to basement causes discomfort for laundry and more unused space in master bedroom for a Townhome
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7657 posts
5074 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I personally couldn't care less about laundry on the 2nd floor (have never had it or wanted it there). I would like the extra space in the master bedroom over having a laundry upstairs. So, I will go against the others and say if I had to have one of these, it would be #2.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1700 posts
2614 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Lavaris1 wrote: #3 is no brainer
Spacious for dining and living room
Laundry upstairs
I agree, IMO the best layout of the 3 by far.

If OP is not a bath person, if possible I would suggest removing the tub from the master bathroom and making a nice walk in shower.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Jan 19, 2018
105 posts
43 upvotes
Option 3 is the best and i would go for that.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1550 posts
671 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Congrats on the new home.

#1. My first choice because:
- the living and dining room are spread across the entire width of the home. This is where you will spend most of your time so you will benefit from the most natural light.
- the second floor laundry
- the powder room is furthest away from the living space
- sliding glass doors are in the right place - this is where you dining table goes, so you can sit and enjoy the view to the backyard and benefit from the natural light.

#2: The dining room is a bit useless as it too small and dark - how many people can you squish in a 10x10' room?
The powder room is too close to the dining room.
As with no. 3, the benefit of those sliding glass doors is wasted - see no. 1 above.

#3 - I don't like the bowling alley layout of the living/dining room - too narrow, too dark.

Not sure why everyone needs a big master bedroom. What's going on in there that you need all that space?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3079 posts
1142 upvotes
Toronto
#1 because both dining and living room gets natural light
Jul 2, 2018
307 posts
299 upvotes
I would go between 3 and 1, it really depends on how you will use the space, I think people have done a great job laying out the pros and cons of each of those layouts above. My preference would probably go to # 3.
I do not like layout # 2.
Realtor + Investor
Mar 3, 2011
59 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa
Personally for me I like to have a separate dining space when I host.

Not to mention it looks like the kitchen has a huge island so you’ll get those natural light when it’s just you.

#1 - I like that the pwd room is far away but 19x11-12 for a great room can be tight depending how your furnish it.

#2 - best main floor I think. as I said I like the separate dining space. Living room seems to be the biggest of the 3. Just upstairs and downstairs doesn’t compare to the others.

#3 - spacey and probably the best overall of the 3. But it is the most expensive so that decision will be up to you. You said it’s just you buying? Might be “big” for a single person.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1834 posts
454 upvotes
South Western Ontari…
I like the main floor of #1 minus the small kitchen and island. I presume tv will go on the right wall for all three plans but it will be easier to make that a focal wall for plan 1. Just wish kitchen was bigger.

I would prefer plan #2 for second floor, bathroom is furthest from the master bedroom, couldnt care less about second floor laundry.

If I had to pick #1 would be a good compromise.

Happy hunting!
Jun 11, 2006
545 posts
559 upvotes
I like to the layout of 1 the best, but I like the size of 3 better. (A 100 sq ft more). Is any an end unit? I would also prefer that.

I think the house is not huge, so a big open main floor will feel more spacious and have more flexibility in furniture arrangement. I also far prefer 2nd floor laundry.
[OP]
Sep 30, 2018
8 posts
1 upvote
Thanks everyone! very much appreciate all of your opinions!
Oh dear, the decisions.. maybe it's because its my first home but I can't seem to decide lol. I do like the separate dining room, though it is the smallest of the 3 floorplans... but as many mention, the 2nd floor laundry is so useful. not to mention the other floorplans are bigger.

Thanks again!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)