• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 1:41 pm
[OP]
May 5, 2021
59 posts
22 upvotes

First time IPTV box questions

Hi all!
In the market for IPTV connection and don't have a smart - TV.

Which is a good box where the major use would be streaming an IPTV subscription?

Don't care about gaming. Casting would be nice since it can save buying a Chromecast but isn't a deal-breaker.

I tried the fire stick, but the remapping and navigation weren't that great. STB-emu way okay, but started lagging/exiting to the home screen. And the limitation of the remote was a deal-breaker.

Next, a provider offered H96 Max, but laggy android UI and the hard remote buttons were a deal-breaker. Lastly, he offered Unipro 2.0 TV box but I couldn't find any info online.

From my research. Formuler Z8, Dreamlink T3, BuzzTV and MAG W524 are recommended. NVidia Shield doesn't really make sense, but then again MAG 524W3 is $160.

Which would you recommend for ease of use and light on the pocket? And where should I generally look for them and the cost I should be looking at?
9 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12445 posts
3671 upvotes
none of what you listed

buy a firestick 4k or google tv then install tivimate on there

stbemu sucks in comparison to tivimate
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3212 posts
1960 upvotes
SW ON
sexyj wrote: or google tv
What's Google TV? It seems to be a streaming platform, not a device. Did you mean the latest Chromecast?
[OP]
May 5, 2021
59 posts
22 upvotes
Did you have to remap your remote with TiviMate?

I was looking for sort of a soft remote which involved less typing hence this did not work the first time.

Plus I’ve never seen providers offer the TiviMate app.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12445 posts
3671 upvotes
No, everything is mapped properly to the firestick remote

With tivimate, you just use it with any provide that provides m3u8 or xtreme code.
savingsomemoney wrote: Did you have to remap your remote with TiviMate?

I was looking for sort of a soft remote which involved less typing hence this did not work the first time.

Plus I’ve never seen providers offer the TiviMate app.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1895 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto
You can customize/remap most functions of the remote within the TiviMate app. This app is the closest cable/satellite experience I’ve seen and well worth the price!
Celebrating 18+ years on RFD!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5296 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
Here is what I learned in the last few years. Trust me, a lot of people go in with no knowledge so learning about how it works is important. In my experience theres only 2 kind of IPTV Boxes, there is the MAG boxes and theres everything else which is simply an android box with some kind of Mag Set Top Box EMULATOR, Yes you heard me, the majority of boxes out in the market the TV portal is a sideloaded app which simply emulates the actual Mag boxes., Also people call them Android boxes but most are simply linux boxes not actual android boxes, anyways why not simply get the actual mag box you ask? well the mag box can only do one thing and do it well, IPTV. Where as the boxes which Emulate the mag box, have some small memory on them which you can install ohter apps like netflix, amazon prime, youtube, paramount plus, etc. people tend to buy these ones over the actual mag because they see the variety in them, however the tv interface does tend to have more problems, the TV app crashes often, does not get updated often, its also often sideloaded since its not available legitly on the google app store, and other stuff., so take your pick, mag vs everything else.
Hi
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3928 posts
1037 upvotes
GTA
GoodFellaz wrote: Here is what I learned in the last few years. Trust me, a lot of people go in with no knowledge so learning about how it works is important. In my experience theres only 2 kind of IPTV Boxes, there is the MAG boxes and theres everything else which is simply an android box with some kind of Mag Set Top Box EMULATOR, Yes you heard me, the majority of boxes out in the market the TV portal is a sideloaded app which simply emulates the actual Mag boxes., Also people call them Android boxes but most are simply linux boxes not actual android boxes, anyways why not simply get the actual mag box you ask? well the mag box can only do one thing and do it well, IPTV. Where as the boxes which Emulate the mag box, have some small memory on them which you can install ohter apps like netflix, amazon prime, youtube, paramount plus, etc. people tend to buy these ones over the actual mag because they see the variety in them, however the tv interface does tend to have more problems, the TV app crashes often, does not get updated often, its also often sideloaded since its not available legitly on the google app store, and other stuff., so take your pick, mag vs everything else.
Hi, thanks for that info. I'm just starting to research IPTV as I'm about to finally drop Rogers. A colleague recommended BuzzTV box but based upon what you're saying about, I'm still better off getting a MAG?

I've already got two 4K Firesticks in the house so using those would be convenient, but I'm fine buying a dedicated box if it's an improvement in the UI, lag, and if it had built in storage so I could record the occasional program that would be a benefit but certainly not mandatory.

Finally, how do I go about selecting a provider? Is referral from a friend/family the best way to go? I just want to be able to watch live Canadian news, live Canadian sports (Raptors in particular) and the rest is just gravy.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2987 posts
1936 upvotes
The_Professor wrote: Hi, thanks for that info. I'm just starting to research IPTV as I'm about to finally drop Rogers. A colleague recommended BuzzTV box but based upon what you're saying about, I'm still better off getting a MAG?

I've already got two 4K Firesticks in the house so using those would be convenient, but I'm fine buying a dedicated box if it's an improvement in the UI, lag, and if it had built in storage so I could record the occasional program that would be a benefit but certainly not mandatory.

Finally, how do I go about selecting a provider? Is referral from a friend/family the best way to go? I just want to be able to watch live Canadian news, live Canadian sports (Raptors in particular) and the rest is just gravy.
Since you already have a 4K stick, you can always start simply experimenting with what you have. This way you can emulate a MAG box and load many other IPTV players (TiViMate, OTT Nav...) to compare experiences. Can always buy a MAG later or get a more powerful android box such as Nvidia Shield if you like a variety of players. Storage is limited on the stick but many IPTV services will have a "catchup" feature to watch a past program. Retention varies from a few hours to a few days.

As for actual services, some will offer free trials. I'd recommend not prepaying for more than a month unless you know well who you are dealing with.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3928 posts
1037 upvotes
GTA
peli33 wrote: Since you already have a 4K stick, you can always start simply experimenting with what you have. This way you can emulate a MAG box and load many other IPTV players (TiViMate, OTT Nav...) to compare experiences. Can always buy a MAG later or get a more powerful android box such as Nvidia Shield if you like a variety of players. Storage is limited on the stick but many IPTV services will have a "catchup" feature to watch a past program. Retention varies from a few hours to a few days.

As for actual services, some will offer free trials. I'd recommend not prepaying for more than a month unless you know well who you are dealing with.
Very sound advice, thank you.

As for the service, how do I go about selecting one though? I can certainly use Google but how many of these providers have websites? I can use Kijiji but that seems a bit "shady". A referral, either from a friend/family member or even a member of RFD would be much better IMO.