Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 21, 2013
17 posts
Markham

First Time to New York

Hello Everyone,

I'm going to New York for the first time near the end of August. Taking my wife for our anniversary. We've never been before and looking for recommendations:

1) What is the best way to get from Laguardia to Wall Street area (our hotel is there)

2) What is a nice restaurant to go for dinner for our anniversary. I don't want to break the bank but I want something nicer than Olive Garden :)

Thank you in advance
12 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2417 posts
1064 upvotes
GTA
We took the train from the airport (forget the name) then switched to metro (subway). Very good and probably close in time to a taxi it during rush. use the trip planner for the transit authority and it will tell you where to go.

I would recommend staying a little further north near the south end of Central Park. not sure what you plan to do but then you can be walking distance to Central Park, Fifth Avenue shopping and time square and museums. Near wall street you really on close to battery park (view of Statue of Liberty) and walking on the Brooklyn Bridge (still need to do this one)

For restaurants, We like STK, some will say over rated but I like to hit a fancy steak restaurant while on vacation. I've been to STK in Beverly Hills, Vegas and both New York locations. Always tasty, probably around $150 US depends on the appetite and drinks. It's prices/menu structure are similar to Ruth's Chris.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2013
17 posts
Markham
I wanted to book closer to Central Park but ended up booking by wall street. Plan to do Brooklyn Bridge and Battery Park. With the subways we feel we should be able to get to Times Square, Central Park etc. pretty easy. The subway is around the corner from the hotel.

Thanks for the recommendations on the restaurants, there are so many its a little overwhelming trying to choose one. So looking for some advise from people who have experience
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2417 posts
1064 upvotes
GTA
Just found the reservation I made for Valentines days 2013. Great French restaurant, they had a Prix Fixe menu for $38 as the time so price was great. Service was excellent, the wine was kep table side on ice, and the waiter was very attentive. Felt like Paris, can say that as we then went to Paris in 2014.
Have fun.

Marseille
630 Ninth Avenue New York, NY 10036
Cross Street: 44th Street
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
For dinner, I highly recommend Del Posto. It is one of Mario Batali's places.
http://delposto.com/
The 100 layer lasagna is beyond spectacular. http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/65732/ They also have a tasting menu that is outstanding. Will it break the bank? Well, New York City ain't cheap.

If you are near Times Square in the evening and need a little snack, do find Ellen's Stardust Diner. The servers are all wannabe Broadway stars and while they serve they sing Broadway songs. It is a show unto it's own. Great fun. it is open 24 hrs I think. We stopped in after a show for a snack and ended up staying a couple hours. The "adult" milkshakes are fantastic LOL.
http://www.ellensstardustdiner.com/

As for getting around, surprisingly the New Your taxis are not that expensive....and they get you there in a hurry. The New York taxi ride is an experience not to be missed. tell them you are in a hurry and hang of for the ride of your life LOL.
[OP]
Aug 21, 2013
17 posts
Markham
Thanks, heard about Ellen's diner from a few ppl and I hope to get time to stop by and see. Everyone I've talked to said it's a lot of fun
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
abovetherim1020 wrote: Thanks, heard about Ellen's diner from a few ppl and I hope to get time to stop by and see. Everyone I've talked to said it's a lot of fun
It really is. Time just flies by when in there and too many milkshakes and they have to help you out LOL.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6477 posts
1604 upvotes
Montreal
There's a train from Kennedy airport but not one that I recall from LaGuardia. I lived there for 6 months about 15 years ago. I took a city bus at LaGuardia and then the subway to get to my apartment. I don't think you want to do that. It won't be cheap but I suggest taking a shuttle bus or cab (uber maybe) into the city.

Since it's your first time there, I recommend taking the Grey Line or competitive companies bus tours. You can get a one day pass for something like $40 US but a 3 day pass is only a few bucks more. There are also deals and coupons to be had online. You can hop on and off as much as you like.
Phils
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2234 posts
436 upvotes
for your anniversary, just take a taxi.

from LGA to Wall Street, can't cost more than $35/40

as for meals, what is considered breaking the bank? See if you can get in at Balthazar, you may see a celebrity there if you or your wife cares about that.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1687 posts
710 upvotes
Toronto
For food, check out Jean Georges @ the Trump Hotel.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2234 posts
436 upvotes
michiebaby wrote: For food, check out Jean Georges @ the Trump Hotel.
for a less expensive version, still a JG restaurant, try the lunch prix fixe at ABC Kitchen & Carpets
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4991 posts
2021 upvotes
Like above poster said, no train/subway station at LaGuardia. Gotta take the bus to the subway line. Even then it's ~30mins if you want to get to Wall St. area. Taking a cab shouldn't be more than $50. I think they may have a flat rate going into the city from the airport. They did when I went from JFK, not sure from LGA.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)