First time traveling with son to USA. Wife staying home.

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 5th, 2019 2:01 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
2607 posts

First time traveling with son to USA. Wife staying home.


Besides a passport what other documents are needed for travel to usa with my 6 year old son? My wife is not joining us on the trip. I want to avoid any headaches if I'm missing anything.
10 replies
Sr. Member
Aug 3, 2017
818 posts
A notarized travel consent letter if you want to be extra careful, though the times I’ve had them they haven’t been needed.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2664 posts
Mississauga, ON
On the Gov of Canada website there is a template for travelling with minor children. Print it and fill it out.

It’s well recognized and does not required notarization.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2687 posts
Wife has traveled with < 2 year old multiple times, never asked anything more than a passport.. when crossing at the border they do get a tad more nosey with the questions, but nothing to worry about

Side thing you can have just in case is photo copy of birth certificate, we do this no matter, never bring the original
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3217 posts
My wife just travelled out of country with an infant, and they asked for nothing except passport.

Ideally though, you should have:
- travel consent letter from the other spouse (certified by your local city hall or similar is even better)
- copy of birth certificate which lists you both as parents.
- proof of health insurance which covers the infant especially if going to the USA.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
12306 posts
When I see my brother and his wife bring their son to US.
They don't ask other questions. Yes a man and a woman bring a kids to a trip, but that doesn't mean that the woman is the mother of the son anyway.

i doubt they are that strict unless they see something very suspicious.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
13797 posts
There's this standard template: ... nt-eng.pdf I have also used a simple note handwritten from my wife giving permission for our kids to cross the border with just me. Only one time was I asked for it; it was the time I crossed to the US and back on foot with the kids, with no vehicle. It was accepted with no issue.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
7647 posts
Of course many people have crossed into the US alone with a child and have never been asked for the travel authorization letter.

But when that day comes, you’ll be glad you have it.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3761 posts
Agree with mrweather - get the letter. The day may well come (and I have witnessed it).
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28449 posts
mrweather wrote: But when that day comes, you’ll be glad you have it.
Exactly. It's better to have it and never need it, than to need it and not have it.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6926 posts
When my wife or I travel alone with the kids we use the consent letter posted above along with a photocopy of each other's passport. It only takes a few minutes to complete and saves possible hassle (although we haven't gone through the trouble / expense of notarizing which would technically be better).


Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)