• May 8th, 2020 7:05 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3171 posts
1883 upvotes

First time using the boroscope.

I received my amazon boroscope yesterday but was kind of occupied. This afternoon being so nice I made it priority to get some pictures and videos of my findings. Although I do not have any issues, the carbon is real at 66K. Oil was even found on the air temperature sensor which is away from the 4 runners. Even the tip of the scope managed to scrape and dislodge some carbon on to its lens. For sure the CRC stuff soften the carbon.
Images
  • 20200506_161859.jpg
  • 20200506_162132.jpg
  • 20200506_162139.jpg
  • 20200506_163807.jpg
  • 20200506_163842.jpg
  • 20200506_161844.jpg
  • 20200506_1624020.png
  • 20200506_1627003.png
  • 20200506_1636041.png
  • 20200506_1632013.png
7 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15083 posts
16037 upvotes
Oakville
cristianosham wrote: I received my amazon boroscope yesterday but was kind of occupied. This afternoon being so nice I made it priority to get some pictures and videos of my findings. Although I do not have any issues, the carbon is real at 66K. Oil was even found on the air temperature sensor which is away from the 4 runners. Even the tip of the scope managed to scrape and dislodge some carbon on to its lens. For sure the CRC stuff soften the carbon.
Yep, crank case vapors will do that.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27587 posts
7943 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: I received my amazon boroscope yesterday but was kind of occupied. This afternoon being so nice I made it priority to get some pictures and videos of my findings. Although I do not have any issues, the carbon is real at 66K. Oil was even found on the air temperature sensor which is away from the 4 runners. Even the tip of the scope managed to scrape and dislodge some carbon on to its lens. For sure the CRC stuff soften the carbon.
Ha yeah I tried to tell you this, there is definitely gonna be buildup there, you really didn't need a boroscope to tell you that. While the CRC may have "softened" the deposits, as you can see (and this is what the boroscope was useful for) it didn't go anywhere. Like I said the CRC might possibly prevent some of the buildup if you used it regularly after a real cleaning, but it's not going to do anything to the deposits that are there. Softening is one thing but all that's gonna happen is the buildup will just continue until you clean it manually.

I mean I commend you for going to the trouble but you may as well just have pulled off the intake and started the cleaning process--if you're off work right now, it's a good time to do it as it'll take a couple days esp. if you want to let cleaners "soak overnight". Then you can use the boroscope later to see if CRC does anything in terms of prevention over time. I hate to say it but I don't think it'll do much. You need a constant cleaning action and the only things that would do that are port injectors (not feasible here) or W/M...
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54051 posts
18985 upvotes
Wish I had on to test on the EGR valves of my CT200h. Fuel economy is great so hopefully there is no carbon deposit build up lol. Not going to bother cleaning it until there are telltale signs.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34413 posts
20445 upvotes
Center of Universe
Time to schedule walnut blasting.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3171 posts
1883 upvotes
Is it worth double the price to get a VW 06F129717D original intake manifold gasket? Looks like kids wont be going back to daycare till may 25th. So might take out the manifold to clean.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10826 posts
2671 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Whats the cost of each? Sometimes its worth going OEM just for piece of mind and knowing the part is going to fit properly and last a long time (unless it has a known issue) Also dont forget you may need injector gaskets also.

For me I tend to lean toward going OEM parts (unless its a performance part) just to be on the safe side and not have issues. For example I'm going to be changing out my engine pulley in the near future & with 70k on the car I figure I'm going to have to remove the Serpentine Belt anyways so since I'm working in the area Im going to replace it even if its early. I had the choice of going OEM for $40 or aftermarket for $25 range, for the small price difference I ordered an OEM one.
cristianosham wrote: Is it worth double the price to get a VW 06F129717D original intake manifold gasket? Looks like kids wont be going back to daycare till may 25th. So might take out the manifold to clean.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27587 posts
7943 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: Is it worth double the price to get a VW 06F129717D original intake manifold gasket? Looks like kids wont be going back to daycare till may 25th. So might take out the manifold to clean.
You don't need the gasket at all, TBH. The original gasket is completely reusable. Unless it's damaged, it's fine to reuse--you can put a little Dow-111 or similar on it when reassembling. I don't see any need to spend any money on the gasket at all. What you will need though is the injector seals. You don't need the injector seal tool 'cause you can easily do it w/o the tool, just need a Bic "round-stic" type pen and some masking tape and some electrical tape:

No need to buy VW original seals, just get the generic kit from RA, I think it has all four seals, o-rings, stand-offs, and metal collars in the one kit--I think it's like the same price as just one set from VW. The stand-offs you only need to replace if broken, the collars you don't even need unless you bend one, but the o-rings and seal-rings you gotta replace those 'cause you don't want to have a high-pressure fuel leak after doing all that work!