• Jun 11th, 2021 1:12 pm
[OP]
Jan 8, 2015
51 posts
20 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

First time windsheld cracked from stone chip :(

10 years of driving, and this finally happens to me. :(
Is it safe to drive the car from my home to the repair shop..? (5km)
I tried drive the car for a bit, and the crack is getting longer and longer as I drive, so I immediately turned back...
Do I need a tow truck...?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2020
1219 posts
1129 upvotes
Clarington, ON
stevenleung0000 wrote: 10 years of driving, and this finally happens to me. :(
yes
I tried drive the car for a bit, and the crack is getting longer and longer as I drive, so I immediately turned back...
Do I need a tow truck...? no
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3732 posts
2337 upvotes
it is not the end of the world, go through insurance and it replaced with a new pnew.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6140 posts
872 upvotes
Greely
I've been driving with a crack across my windshield for 2 years of 40,000km. I refused to pay $2500 for a new windshield and will do it at lease turn in.

So you'll be fine for 5km ;)
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11544 posts
3251 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Yes you can drive around with it cracked, its not something i would wait months to fix but if you need to drive around for a few days/weeks it should not be an issue.
Nov 11, 2013
964 posts
1096 upvotes
Calgary
Windshield cracked, time to panic and replace car
[OP]
Jan 8, 2015
51 posts
20 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
redblack wrote: Windshield cracked, time to panic and replace car
Noted, will happily take your advice, and buy new car tomorrow
Oct 16, 2019
174 posts
88 upvotes
Don't let the police see you driving a cracked windshield car thoughPolice Officer
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2662 posts
456 upvotes
steve-0101 wrote: I've been driving with a crack across my windshield for 2 years of 40,000km. I refused to pay $2500 for a new windshield and will do it at lease turn in.

what kind of car?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2154 posts
771 upvotes
Markham
stevenleung0000 wrote: Noted, will happily take your advice, and buy new car tomorrow
I will save you the hassle. Just pay me $500 and I will have it towed away from your driveway.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1616 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
steve-0101 wrote: I've been driving with a crack across my windshield for 2 years of 40,000km. I refused to pay $2500 for a new windshield and will do it at lease turn in.

Your insurance deductible is $2500?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
6140 posts
872 upvotes
Greely
kev604 wrote: Your insurance deductible is $2500?
No, it's $300 but I'm not replacing it twice. I live near a ton of quarries and all 3 of our cars have cracked windshields :(
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
10183 posts
1975 upvotes
Just get a cheap aftermarket one. Someone will even do the replacement at your house.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3918 posts
1026 upvotes
Brampton
If you have a crack that is spreading, it is probably too late to repair now anyways so you might as well drive it. You will need a replacement windshield.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1654 posts
1108 upvotes
Southern Ontario
There are degrees of a crack in the windshield. There's ones that are the size of a nickel and don't get bigger, others that are small enough so the autoglass guys can fix it somehow...

The ones where you have a crack and it spreads all over the place... drive it to the glass place and go from there. If your deductible is low and you have a heated windshield and all that jazz, it might be worth it to go through insurance.

My Mom had this happen to her and it was $700 to replace. Depends on what car you have, options, etc. I looked up my vehicle and had a few choices, the cheapest was around $250 for the windshield, plus labour at the time.
Aug 8, 2007
544 posts
384 upvotes
Leungss wrote: Don't let the police see you driving a cracked windshield car thoughPolice Officer
Doesn’t this depend on whether the crack is in the area impeding the driver’s vision? Not recommending waiting around to fix it but if it is in that area then that might make you move faster.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14281 posts
8392 upvotes
Toronto
solution*:
Ace Ventura.jpg

****Don't actually do this
Last edited by Swerny on Jun 9th, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 16, 2019
174 posts
88 upvotes
EYEAM2COOL4U wrote: Doesn’t this depend on whether the crack is in the area impeding the driver’s vision? Not recommending waiting around to fix it but if it is in that area then that might make you move faster.
I think it doesn't matter where the crack is, because the crack could potentially get bigger and bigger when you are driving at high speed, and eventually become a spider web windshield, you don't want it to happen when you are driving on a highway.
Oct 21, 2006
686 posts
435 upvotes
should be okay to drive a short distance, the windshield is laminated glass I think