• May 24th, 2019 11:40 am
[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
158 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto

First walking through of purchased house

Hi All

Just wondering what I should look for, or any other tips on the first walk through of a 96 year old semi in Toronto. I’ve got my HVAC guy coming to give my a quote on a new hot water heater, furnace and A/C unit as they are very old.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8163 upvotes
Edmonton
thompson12 wrote: Hi All

Just wondering what I should look for, or any other tips on the first walk through of a 96 year old semi in Toronto. I’ve got my HVAC guy coming to give my a quote on a new hot water heater, furnace and A/C unit as they are very old.
Did you get an inspection done? Is the purchase completed already? What are you hoping to accomplish?

C
Deal Addict
May 9, 2017
1077 posts
1116 upvotes
So it sounds like you have had an inspection done already or you waived that condition.

Basically all that I did for my new house was take measurements for furniture, some old and some new that I wanted to order.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1292 posts
635 upvotes
Assuming you've already done your due diligence on structural, asbestos and major maintenance items before the purchase, things you probably want to consider....

Wall treatments - is there wallpaper everywhere?
Light fixtures
Finishing around windows and doorways
Door locks
Plumbing leaks/function
Shut off valves
Floor treatments

If you're talking structural and other major items, and you're genuinely asking here because you're not sure, then you should just hire someone.
thompson12 wrote: Hi All

[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
158 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: Did you get an inspection done? Is the purchase completed already? What are you hoping to accomplish?

C

Yes, sellers had a home inspection done. No major issues were found. Just wondering If their is anything I may have missed. The closing date is in a month and I’ve got two visits before then. Just trying to be proactive before we move in.
Last edited by thompson12 on May 24th, 2019 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
158 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Chickennbeans wrote: Assuming you've already done your due diligence on structural, asbestos and major maintenance items before the purchase, things you probably want to consider....

Wall treatments - is there wallpaper everywhere?
Light fixtures
Finishing around windows and doorways
Door locks
Plumbing leaks/function
Shut off valves
Floor treatments

If you're talking structural and other major items, and you're genuinely asking here because you're not sure, then you should just hire someone.
Home inspection didn’t note any structural issues.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2008
1127 posts
339 upvotes
I was surprised that kitchen appliances and washer/dryer and not part of the home inspection (first time buyer here). So make sure to check if those are in working order or negotiate money for repair/parts/equivalent used replacement as required.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
158 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
barricuda wrote: I was surprised that kitchen appliances and washer/dryer and not part of the home inspection (first time buyer here). So make sure to check if those are in working order or negotiate money for repair/parts/equivalent used replacement as required.
After seeing many houses and many home inspections I have seen a few inspectors who include the appliances in their report. The inspection on this house does not, so thanks for the advice!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11905 posts
8163 upvotes
Edmonton
thompson12 wrote: Yes, sellers had a home inspection done. No major issues were found. Just wondering If their is anything I may have missed. The closing date is in a month and I’ve got two visits before then. Just trying to be proactive before we move in.
The SELLER'S did a home inspection? That would be a "no thanks" from me, as a buyer...

When we did our last purchase, I was there for the home inspection, and went around with the inspector. He pointed out a lot of things that, while not significant from a "should I buy" perspective, were good to note for future maintenance. I was also able to ask questions and take pics for my reference later.

Other things to note in a home that old:
Electrical - has it been updated at all? What kind of wiring is it? That house has been through numerous electrical code cycles, so who knows what you're dealing with. Check to see if plugs are grounded.
Plumbing - Same as above... Do you have any galvanized pipe? Kitec? What kind of shape does the main stack and drain seem to be in? Does everything drain easily? Look in the cabinet under each sink for water damage/signs of leaks.
Attic - Stick your head up there or get up and look around. Any sign of water leaks (mis-colored sections)? How much insulation? Ventilation?
Windows/Doors - Check around each opening, inside and out. Look for bubbling paint, rotten wood, etc.

C
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1292 posts
635 upvotes
Additional things...
- Verify that all included appliances work (AC blows cold, heating is hot, washer drains, etc........).
- Bring something you can plug into each outlet (or better yet an outlet tester) and test all the outlets.
- Check that all the drains drain and don't leak (fill the basin and then drain it while running the tap)
- Look for any areas that are damp, wet, discoloured, etc... (definitely photograph these extensively including the 'other side' of the wall/floor)
- Look for holes/damage/deterioration in the exterior/brick/mortar
- Look for where your eavestrough drain to, take photos
- Look at the grading surrounding the house, will water drain towards or pool around the house?
- Look for things that are sagging/crooked and should be straight/level
- Take a photo of the electrical panel with the door open, and photos of the label on all major appliances
- Take a photo of the water valve - is the pipe lead?
- Take photos of window sills and surrounds
- Take photos of the layout - may help in determining if a wall is load bearing if you wanted to consider taking it out.
I'm sure there's more.....

Take photos of everything as a reference since these are your pre-inspections. If you don't know the answer to something, take a photo (or 10) - you probably know someone that can help determine if there's a problem.
thompson12 wrote: Home inspection didn’t note any structural issues.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2017
1077 posts
1116 upvotes
psudolam wrote: Image
Good list. Isn't this what a home inspector would do though? ... I don't get the before part.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
158 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Chickennbeans wrote: Additional things...
- Verify that all included appliances work (AC blows cold, heating is hot, washer drains, etc........).
- Bring something you can plug into each outlet (or better yet an outlet tester) and test all the outlets.
- Check that all the drains drain and don't leak (fill the basin and then drain it while running the tap)
- Look for any areas that are damp, wet, discoloured, etc... (definitely photograph these extensively including the 'other side' of the wall/floor)
- Look for holes/damage/deterioration in the exterior/brick/mortar
- Look for where your eavestrough drain to, take photos
- Look at the grading surrounding the house, will water drain towards or pool around the house?
- Look for things that are sagging/crooked and should be straight/level
- Take a photo of the electrical panel with the door open, and photos of the label on all major appliances
- Take a photo of the water valve - is the pipe lead?
- Take photos of window sills and surrounds
- Take photos of the layout - may help in determining if a wall is load bearing if you wanted to consider taking it out.
I'm sure there's more.....

Take photos of everything as a reference since these are your pre-inspections. If you don't know the answer to something, take a photo (or 10) - you probably know someone that can help determine if there's a problem.
Very helpful! Thank-you!
[OP]
Nov 30, 2010
158 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: The SELLER'S did a home inspection? That would be a "no thanks" from me, as a buyer...

When we did our last purchase, I was there for the home inspection, and went around with the inspector. He pointed out a lot of things that, while not significant from a "should I buy" perspective, were good to note for future maintenance. I was also able to ask questions and take pics for my reference later.

Other things to note in a home that old:
Electrical - has it been updated at all? What kind of wiring is it? That house has been through numerous electrical code cycles, so who knows what you're dealing with. Check to see if plugs are grounded.
Plumbing - Same as above... Do you have any galvanized pipe? Kitec? What kind of shape does the main stack and drain seem to be in? Does everything drain easily? Look in the cabinet under each sink for water damage/signs of leaks.
Attic - Stick your head up there or get up and look around. Any sign of water leaks (mis-colored sections)? How much insulation? Ventilation?
Windows/Doors - Check around each opening, inside and out. Look for bubbling paint, rotten wood, etc.

C
This is great. Thanks. I’m a maintenance freak.